SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

54 minutes ago, MDtoGF said:

Some thoughts on what each senior may do, feel free to read and give feedback as you like! 

https://seamoresports.com/2021/03/28/projecting-the-future-for-the-8-und-mens-hockey-seniors/

I would be stunned if any Senior returned for UND. Not because there wouldn’t be some potential interest, but I’m confident Berry has the mindset of their 4 years are completed, it’s time to move on and continue the cycle. 

5 hours ago, TheFlop said:

Zach Parise was only in the AHL because of the lockout.  If I recall correctly it was more financially lucrative for him to leave when he did because the belief was that the new bargaining deal wouldn't have been as beneficial to rookies. 

Yes. He did get to count the remainder of the 2004 season as year 1 of his contract.....he still has said he regrets it.

30 minutes ago, AJS said:

I would be stunned if any Senior returned for UND. Not because there wouldn’t be some potential interest, but I’m confident Berry has the mindset of their 4 years are completed, it’s time to move on and continue the cycle. 

Only one that doesn't really fit that is Keane who had a year taken away from him by the NCAA.

The Seniors.....

Gooch-Gonna be 24 years old in May.  Thanks Jordan, your last goal was a thriller!  I see overseas career in his future.  

Adams-Turns 23 in April.  Thanks for the memories.  I too see him taking the overseas route eventually.  

Thome-Team guy, put himself out there with struggle with depression.  Would he return if Scheel left?  I think so.  Honestly though, if a transfer portal goalie wants to come here, Peter heads to the next step in life after hockey.  

Bast-Playing with your brother means what to him????  If Sanderson stays I see him leaving with Morrow coming in and wanting to develop guys like Moore, Johnson, and his brother (who would really screw with things if he wore #2 as well.....)  

Mismash-Does Nashville sign him?  I dunno, second round picks are tough to just let go of.  Injuries the last couple of years sucked for him.  Hopefully he can become an AHL regular.

Kiersted-Have fun selecting the best offer sir.  He's going to get a lot of them.  

Rieger-Gonna be an accountant.  Awesome!  Thanks for playing the utility role and being a great teammate when your number wasn't called.    

Keane-Would love to have him back.  Would be tremendous on the third or fourth line all year long.  Could wear a letter perhaps.  Think about it and give me a call. :wink:

In the long run I see them all gone.  Keane likely won't call me and we close the book on the class that was the first to win the league playoff championship and played the longest game in NCAA tournament history.  

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Thome-Team guy, put himself out there with struggle with depression.  Would he return if Scheel left?  I think so.  Honestly though, if a transfer portal goalie wants to come here, Peter heads to the next step in life after hockey.  

Drafted goalie.  Gotta think he spends some time in the E at least, no? 

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Drafted goalie.  Gotta think he spends some time in the E at least, no? 

If he does, good for him.  I just can't see him making a professional career out of hockey.  Hopefully he gets a shot, and proves me wrong.  I'll definitely eat crow on this one with ketchup. :lol:

(I first put this into the 2020-21 thread ... )

One man's opinion:

JBD was playing top pair minutes against the opponent first line. There's not much left to do after that. I'd say 85%+ he signs. 

Pinto, however, was benefitting from being the second center behind Adams/Mash/Guch. Yes, he lit it up, but was he playing against opponent ones all the time. I still think it's 65+% he signs, but you see my opinion. 

Weatherby? Same issue times two (behind Adams and Pinto). Show me you can do it as the one. I see under 30% chance of signing. (Last thought: If he plays out a senior year I think he becomes an NHL free agent and not a Sharks pick.) 

To me this next year we're going to see what Berry can do with a team that has some pieces but isn't supremely talented.   He has done well with teams that have been loaded, but now where do they go with a team that has lost some big pieces, much like Duluth lost most of their defensive core after their last championship.   Need to be able to reload fast, especially with the availability of the transfer portal and the appeal UND has in the college hockey world, but in the same breath you have to find the right kind of player.  You don't want to bring in a bunch of divas that are just looking to latch on to a great program, you want guys that are willing to fight in any circumstance they are in, and don't pack it in when adversity hits. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I read this earlier. Thought the article was trash. They haven’t spoke to any of them, but were scheduled to talk to their agents. Felt misleading to me, but that’s media sometimes. 

Once it said staying at North Dakota would hurt their development, I just thought how bad the Senators have been and anything is better then going there.

4 hours ago, cberkas said:

Once it said staying at North Dakota would hurt their development, I just thought how bad the Senators have been and anything is better then going there.

Yeah I love how some outlets like to spin that staying in college another year can hurt your development but never mention how leaving too soon can stunt your development much more quickly. The Cale Makar vs. Tyson Jost comparision should be in every college hockey's locker room. No better example of what happens when you stay and develop an extra year or two vs. leaving too early. Even the analysts doing the NHL draft this past year made the same case. The NHL can chew you up and spit you out in no time even a top prospect. 

5 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I read this earlier. Thought the article was trash. They haven’t spoke to any of them, but were scheduled to talk to their agents. Felt misleading to me, but that’s media sometimes. 

Agreed. It was basically an opinion piece. That being said, we should be getting a lot more details here over the next few days. 

On 3/28/2021 at 1:38 AM, Wilbur said:

Sanderson is ready for the NHL.  Glad he was here for a year.  One of the best skaters I've seen in the college game.  Another year would be fun, but I think he heads east. 

No doubt he’s ready. He was by far the best player in Fargo last weekend. The things he does at his young age us amazing and he’s only going to get better. If he returns he alone is worth the price of admission 

23 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The Seniors.....

Gooch-Gonna be 24 years old in May.  Thanks Jordan, your last goal was a thriller!  I see overseas career in his future.  

Adams-Turns 23 in April.  Thanks for the memories.  I too see him taking the overseas route eventually.  

Bast-Playing with your brother means what to him????  If Sanderson stays I see him leaving with Morrow coming in and wanting to develop guys like Moore, Johnson, and his brother (who would really screw with things if he wore #2 as well.....)  

Mismash-Does Nashville sign him?  I dunno, second round picks are tough to just let go of.  Injuries the last couple of years sucked for him.  Hopefully he can become an AHL regular.

Kiersted-Have fun selecting the best offer sir.  He's going to get a lot of them.  

Rieger-Gonna be an accountant.  Awesome!  Thanks for playing the utility role and being a great teammate when your number wasn't called.    

Keane-Would love to have him back.  Would be tremendous on the third or fourth line all year long.  Could wear a letter perhaps.  Think about it and give me a call. :wink:

In the long run I see them all gone.  Keane likely won't call me and we close the book on the class that was the first to win the league playoff championship and played the longest game in NCAA tournament history.  

Would love to see Kiersted in a Wild sweater. Though with the FSN disputes this year, I haven't been able to really watch more than a few games, so I don't really know what the Wild are sitting on. I do know they have some trade decisions to make. Either way, I would love to see a few of these guys get opportunities with my favorite franchise. Rieger can brink the wings.