SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

3 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

I don’t know...I saw Rocco just dance around the Gofers st Mariucci a few years ago...nobody could stay with him.

Nothing against Rocco.... Sanderson is at a completely different level. 

He will be fun to watch next year.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Yea idk. I’ve never seen anyone blow by people the way Rocco did. Then he would crank one off the post. Dude could’ve scored 40 goals easily that year if he hadn’t been so snakebit.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Rocco has 186 NHL games played. Jake will have that covered before he turns 23.

On 3/28/2021 at 10:05 AM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Blaisdell enters the portal. He's snake bitten here. Some proven transfers are a must to make up for massive losses up front.

He was terrible.  Griffin Ness looked like a deer is headlights.   Maybe both can be better next year...who knows

• Downvote 2

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Yea idk. I’ve never seen anyone blow by people the way Rocco did. Then he would crank one off the post. Dude could’ve scored 40 goals easily that year if he hadn’t been so snakebit.

Oh man was he ever snakebit. I’ve never seen one player hit so many pipes or crossbars 

• Portz ('00): 14 G 17 A - 31 Points (41 Games) 
  • Schmaltz ('01) <Bos>: 14 G 29 A - 43 Points (43 Games) / +25
  • Kunz ('02) <Van>: 19 G 12 A - 31 Points (42 Games) / +24 / Senior in HS
  • Costantini ('02) <Buf>: 6G 12A - 18 Points (31 Games) / Leading scorer on Sioux City .85 PPG
  • Bowen ('02) <Ana>: 2 G 2 A - 4 Points (2 Games)

This has been talked about others as well, just how hard it is to read the potential forward recruits. Lets take a closer look. Above are who I believe are the 5 most likely to replace the Forwards that departed (4 Seniors / Pinto). Of those five, four have been drafted by NHL teams. It's a given that Portz / Schmaltz are coming. That leaves 3 remaining spots. You could make an argument both for and against any of them returning for another year of Juniors. Costantitni for example although a small sample size was tearing up the BCHL preseason before they shut down. He then gets sent to the USHL and plays on a team that can't score. Bowen, this is his 3rd year of Juniors, he was(is?) a big time recruit and was on pace to be so before his injury half way thru his draft year derailed his momentum. 

It's easy to look at point total (too early to tell for Bowen) and you aren't blown away. If you look past surface level, this is actually an outstanding potential group. So much so that for me, unless you have the perfect Portal Transfer guy, I'm more than ok with rolling with those 5. That being said, if any of those guys want another year of Juniors, that's ok too. I just think the potential is there that I don't want a situation of picking a Portal guy which causes any of those 5 to look else where if they want to play College next year. 

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

• Portz ('00): 14 G 17 A - 31 Points (41 Games) 
  • Schmaltz ('01) <Bos>: 14 G 29 A - 43 Points (43 Games) / +25
  • Kunz ('02) <Van>: 19 G 12 A - 31 Points (42 Games) / +24 / Senior in HS
  • Costantini ('02) <Buf>: 6G 12A - 18 Points (31 Games) / Leading scorer on Sioux City .85 PPG
  • Bowen ('02) <Ana>: 2 G 2 A - 4 Points (2 Games)

This has been talked about others as well, just how hard it is to read the potential forward recruits. Lets take a closer look. Above are who I believe are the 5 most likely to replace the Forwards that departed (4 Seniors / Pinto). Of those five, four have been drafted by NHL teams. It's a given that Portz / Schmaltz are coming. That leaves 3 remaining spots. You could make an argument both for and against any of them returning for another year of Juniors. Costantitni for example although a small sample size was tearing up the BCHL preseason before they shut down. He then gets sent to the USHL and plays on a team that can't score. Bowen, this is his 3rd year of Juniors, he was(is?) a big time recruit and was on pace to be so before his injury half way thru his draft year derailed his momentum. 

It's easy to look at point total (too early to tell for Bowen) and you aren't blown away. If you look past surface level, this is actually an outstanding potential group. So much so that for me, unless you have the perfect Portal Transfer guy, I'm more than ok with rolling with those 5. That being said, if any of those guys want another year of Juniors, that's ok too. I just think the potential is there that I don't want a situation of picking a Portal guy which causes any of those 5 to look else where if they want to play College next year. 

I heard Brad Berry on the newest CHN podcast and he was asked about the portal and basically said UND’s priority will always be on their recruiting. They will do their due diligence on the available players in the portal and if someone is a good fit, they will evaluate. But he really likes the freshman class so I anticipate most of these forwards will be here this fall. I could see maybe one of them may play another year of juniors if there’s a transfer. 

18 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I say bring four in Kunz is still young , run four and one portal pick , one portal D man and one goalie 

This has potential to be a pretty young class. Bowen (May '02), Kunz (August '02), Costantini ( August '02) were all born within three months of each other. Defensively, Morrow / Johnson are younger than the forwards. 

@siouxforce19 's cliff notes on what Berry said on the podcast, although I wouldn't expect anything else is great to hear. I'm becoming more and more in the camp to roll with the 5 Freshman I've listed and the 3 (Morrow / Johnson / Bast) on the backend. Clearly they'll need to hit the Portal for a Goalie, but unless that Forward is Cruikshank, then I'd prefer to roll with the recruits.

24 minutes ago, AJS said:

This has potential to be a pretty young class. Bowen (May '02), Kunz (August '02), Costantini ( August '02) were all born within three months of each other. Defensively, Morrow / Johnson are younger than the forwards. 

@siouxforce19 's cliff notes on what Berry said on the podcast, although I wouldn't expect anything else is great to hear. I'm becoming more and more in the camp to roll with the 5 Freshman I've listed and the 3 (Morrow / Johnson / Bast) on the backend. Clearly they'll need to hit the Portal for a Goalie, but unless that Forward is Cruikshank, then I'd prefer to roll with the recruits.

Unless they fear losing some of these guys, I am always in favor of the extra year of juniors like Adams had.  To have that many guys go through a learning curve at the same time seems like a big gap to fill especially when you will be fighting against some teams that are experienced to begin with that are supplementing with more experience.  We will see if that is the direction they choose to go, but missing the NCAA again when fans would be allowed would be disappointing, not that either way guarantees anything. 

On 4/2/2021 at 5:40 PM, stoneySIOUX said:

C - Sendo
A - Weatherby
A - Sanderson
A - Frisch

Senden as captain is a gimme. I think Weatherby (alternate this year also) is a safe bet. 

There are three seniors ... (Senden, Weatherby, ...) ... Hain? 

Frisch is the lead by example quiet leader type. If you're looking to have the next captain in the queue ... 

Sanderson ... the last sophomore with an extra letter on the jersey I recall is Jonathan Toews. That's a tough standard even for Sanderson. 

They rolled five this year (Guch, JBD, Kierstad, Senden, Weatherby). If they roll five again, it's those. 

Do any of the potential freshman play center?
Besides Weatherby, Senden, and Jamernik*, is there another responsible center on the existing roster? 

That's where I see the biggest problem. The roster could use a fourth (and maybe fifth) center. 

*Yes, I just called Jamernik, a guy with 19 career games, a responsible center at this level. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Do any of the potential freshman play center?
Besides Weatherby, Senden, and Jamernik*, is there another responsible center on the existing roster? 

That's where I see the biggest problem. The roster could use a fourth (and maybe fifth) center. 

*Yes, I just called Jamernik, a guy with 19 career games, a responsible center at this level. 

Schmaltz and Costantini