SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

31 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Senden as captain is a gimme. I think Weatherby (alternate this year also) is a safe bet. 

There are three seniors ... (Senden, Weatherby, ...) ... Hain? 

Frisch is the lead by example quiet leader type. If you're looking to have the next captain in the queue ... 

Sanderson ... the last sophomore with an extra letter on the jersey I recall is Jonathan Toews. That's a tough standard even for Sanderson. 

They rolled five this year (Guch, JBD, Kierstad, Senden, Weatherby). If they roll five again, it's those. 

I think there's no doubt Sanderson immediately becomes our best player and will be relied upon more than any other player. I think he deserves it.

On 4/3/2021 at 12:42 AM, DAR said:

He was terrible.  Griffin Ness looked like a deer is headlights.   Maybe both can be better next year...who knows

Absolutely....they're both underclassmen. I expect Blaisdell to make a decent jump next year. Hopefully he can carve out a top 6 role. Ness hopefully top 9 role.

On 4/4/2021 at 11:34 AM, AJS said:

• Portz ('00): 14 G 17 A - 31 Points (41 Games) 
  • Schmaltz ('01) <Bos>: 14 G 29 A - 43 Points (43 Games) / +25
  • Kunz ('02) <Van>: 19 G 12 A - 31 Points (42 Games) / +24 / Senior in HS
  • Costantini ('02) <Buf>: 6G 12A - 18 Points (31 Games) / Leading scorer on Sioux City .85 PPG
  • Bowen ('02) <Ana>: 2 G 2 A - 4 Points (2 Games)

This has been talked about others as well, just how hard it is to read the potential forward recruits. Lets take a closer look. Above are who I believe are the 5 most likely to replace the Forwards that departed (4 Seniors / Pinto). Of those five, four have been drafted by NHL teams. It's a given that Portz / Schmaltz are coming. That leaves 3 remaining spots. You could make an argument both for and against any of them returning for another year of Juniors. Costantitni for example although a small sample size was tearing up the BCHL preseason before they shut down. He then gets sent to the USHL and plays on a team that can't score. Bowen, this is his 3rd year of Juniors, he was(is?) a big time recruit and was on pace to be so before his injury half way thru his draft year derailed his momentum. 

It's easy to look at point total (too early to tell for Bowen) and you aren't blown away. If you look past surface level, this is actually an outstanding potential group. So much so that for me, unless you have the perfect Portal Transfer guy, I'm more than ok with rolling with those 5. That being said, if any of those guys want another year of Juniors, that's ok too. I just think the potential is there that I don't want a situation of picking a Portal guy which causes any of those 5 to look else where if they want to play College next year. 

Kind of worried (a bit) about the incoming players next year. None are really having big years other than Schmaltz I suppose. Kunz is doing well....I thought he would be a bit closer to a pt/gm. Costantini is the same, he did well in the BC however has somewhat flatlined in the ushl which is a much tougher league.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

@AJSWhy was Dane Montgomery not on your list? 

He should be. Was injured to being the year and just never started tracking. Wouldn't you know, he's leading Waterloo in PPG. Similar USHL Career to Schmaltz. Few years of building and everything seeming to click.

I've been figuring Portz, Schmaltz (turns 20 this month), probably Montgomery, and then the coaches earn their money. 

Defensively it's Luke Bast and then the coaches earn their money. 

Goaltending? Um, Thome returns? Maybe? Probably? And then the coaches earn their money. 

See a theme? :)

Like I said before, I've never been this unsure about a fall roster at season's end in a couple decades plus of following it closely. 

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I've been figuring Portz, Schmaltz (turns 20 this month), probably Montgomery, and then the coaches earn their money. 

Goaltending? Um, Thome returns? Maybe? Probably? And then the coaches earn their money. 

Like I said before, I've never been this unsure about a fall roster at season's end in a couple decades plus of following it closely. 

Agreed. Next year sure will be interesting. 

4 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Absolutely....they're both underclassmen. I expect Blaisdell to make a decent jump next year. Hopefully he can carve out a top 6 role. Ness hopefully top 9 role.

We shall see...that is a pretty big assumption.  A guy who had 0 goals and played in almost all games to careve out a top 6 role.  He will be a junior, we shall see.  

2 hours ago, DAR said:

We shall see...that is a pretty big assumption.  A guy who had 0 goals and played in almost all games to careve out a top 6 role.  He will be a junior, we shall see.  

Not quite to that level, but Chris Wilkie didn’t have a much better second year, and wasn’t as responsible defensively and had opportunity with the top guns.  Not saying that Blaisdell will lead the country in goals, but taking that next step isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, tnt said:

Not quite to that level, but Chris Wilkie didn’t have a much better second year, and wasn’t as responsible defensively and had opportunity with the top guns.  Not saying that Blaisdell will lead the country in goals, but taking that next step isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

All I know is Blaisdell should at least get a shot to play something besides 4th line wing. He’s more of a set up guy than a goal scorer so I’m not expecting him to score 20 goals or anything, but I think with the right linemates he could be a productive player next season. 

I thought his shoulder injury in the pod set him back quite a bit this year. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

In Brad we trust!

Knowing clearly it won't be just Kaleb Nelson and Feeney as Goalies next year, but is Kaleb Nelson being brought in to hopefully be "the guy"? Does anyone know more about him? Respectable numbers in the NAHL the last two years. 

23 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Senden as captain is a gimme. I think Weatherby (alternate this year also) is a safe bet. 

There are three seniors ... (Senden, Weatherby, ...) ... Hain? 

Frisch is the lead by example quiet leader type. If you're looking to have the next captain in the queue ... 

Sanderson ... the last sophomore with an extra letter on the jersey I recall is Jonathan Toews. That's a tough standard even for Sanderson. 

They rolled five this year (Guch, JBD, Kierstad, Senden, Weatherby). If they roll five again, it's those. 

Jason Gregoire also wore an "A" when Genoway got hurt.

14 hours ago, DAR said:

Definitely a bad year, but no he didn't play in all games and has been known to be a scorer in the past. He had 12 pts in his frosh year which is ok as well. Underclassman are underclassman....with your thinking Adams would have been cut too. 15 total points his first two years in more games played.

My point isn't that Blaisdell will tear it up next year, it's to not write off underclassman in college hockey. He has a decent motor but was buried on the 4th line all year. If he's around he should get a look in the top 6 next year. He has that pedigree.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Knowing clearly it won't be just Kaleb Nelson and Feeney as Goalies next year, but is Kaleb Nelson being brought in to hopefully be "the guy"? Does anyone know more about him? Respectable numbers in the NAHL the last two years. 

No, I wouldn't think so. :)

1 hour ago, AJS said:

In Schlossman's Daily Skate article, he's reporting that UND is closing in on Bowling Green senior captain Connor Ford. 

On 3/31/2021 at 12:04 AM, Rando39 said:

Ford has already committed to an NCHC school.

I feel like half of these guys have things lined up before it becomes public.

I wonder if he committed to us, or if UND is trying to get him to change his mind.