SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Weatherby's NHL stock can only go up beng a #1 center for a year. Prove you can carry the water 200 feet every night against the other team's top line. His future is bright but another year at UND is needed.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, I Ranger said:

Correct which is why we could use this year's transfer portal as kind of a bumper year to hopefully give these recruits another year to develop. Getting Cruikshank would be huge as he could immediately be slotted in as our #1 center. Another solid forward and solid D well along with a goalie now would be my wish list. 

#1 C...that goes to Weatherby. It's his time to play in all those key situations.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

I can see Judd having a breakout season like Jasper did this past season.

Agree if Judd plays bigger. He's got to use his size and frame more consistently night in and night out

• Upvote 1

"We have a lot of guys with open opportunities to play some big minutes," Weatherby said. "I know UND is probably going to bring in some transfers and that's going to be awesome. I think with the group we have here, we're going to be able to help those guys get on the UND page. We're going to come together as a team. Even if we start slow, it's about those last four games. You want to be playing in the middle of April.

"I couldn't be more proud of the guys moving on. It hurts a lot to not have your best friend coming back and guys who you played three years with, but at the same time, we're really excited and we have a lot to prove."

Weatherby nearly sent UND to the Frozen Four when his snap shot in the third overtime of the NCAA regional final against Minnesota Duluth hit goaltender Zach Stejskal, fluttered in the air behind the goalie, but landed on top of the crossbar. Even without that one falling in the net, Weatherby had two goals and three points in the Fargo Regional.

"The season is long and the more you can stick with it, the better you're going to be going into those last important games," Weatherby said. "Unfortunately, we came up a little bit short. That game easily could have gone our way. It's a tough pill to swallow. For me, I'm going to try to keep building on the season I had."

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

The price of admission to watch Sanderson game after game at the Ralph next season will be the best entertainment value you can buy.

Dont float his boat too much sheesh.  

After a rough Thursday, Friday was pretty darn good. Feeling a bit better. 

Honestly, the only move I didn't think would happen was Scheeler. That one hurt. Big time. But if Thome comes back, I am confident in this D-corps. If he doesn't... portal time.

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

After a rough Thursday, Friday was pretty darn good. Feeling a bit better. 

Honestly, the only move I didn't think would happen was Scheeler. That one hurt. Big time. But if Thome comes back, I am confident in this D-corps. If he doesn't... portal time.

There's definitely some quality players in the portal and decent goalies that hopefully Berry is after regardless of what Thome is doing.
Schloss had a good article today about that.
Galajda from Cornell would be a great goalie pickup, although he hasn't played in a year.

Getting Cruikshank and the two more talented BG players would be a great way to offset some of the losses.