SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

4 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

2 seasons of greatness and next year UND will be mortal again. (I know I know we lost to Duluth, but still a great team.)

The worst part is that because of Covid we couldn’t fully enjoy how good they were the past two years.  Missed watching the game in Nashville with this group.  

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Like it or hate it we've got to take advantage of kids in the portal.  At least one goalie, a couple d men, and probably a forward, maybe a center?

Agreed there are some quality players available that will be sought after by many teams.
Many of the top teams are losing players early...UND just needs to get better as the season progresses and then win a couple games (or one depending on COVID :silly:) to make the F4.
Weatherby, Gaber, Sanderson, Kleven, Frisch...that's a quality core group.  Someone get in Adams and maybe Mismash ear about spending their extra year of eligibility back at UND for another crack at it.

I’m kind of surprised Mismash hasn’t signed yet though I wonder if injury is part of the cause. I would be ecstatic if he decided to come back to UND for a 5th year. Same for Adams. Can’t help but be concerned about the offense struggling next season. Getting Cruikshank would be a nice jolt to the arm.

I hope Berry gets a goalie from the portal. Totally cool if Thome stays but be nice to get another proven goalie even if for backup purposes.

5 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If we "stand pat", we are going to regret it.

Agreed....we just lost a lot. And I’m not super high on the incoming class (for us obviously). This past year was “the year”, next year will be an up and down year.

• Upvote 1

We already do it a lot, but next year they really will need to activate their defense to generate more offense.  Sanderson, Moore, Kleven, Frisch, are great pieces to start with, then add Morrow and Luke Bast to that and who knows who else.   Our defense should remain a huge strength.

Seems now the ball is in Thome's court.  Can't imagine Feeney or Johnson being on scholarship, so I'd guess if Thome is back he's the full scholarship goalie.  

Part of getting these portal kids will be available scholarship dollars.  Obviously the better ones in the portal will require at least partial scholarships. 

58 minutes ago, tnt said:

We already do it a lot, but next year they really will need to activate their defense to generate more offense.  Sanderson, Moore, Kleven, Frisch, are great pieces to start with, then add Morrow and Luke Bast to that and who knows who else.   Our defense should remain a huge strength.

I think so too. Sanderson is such a unique talent. He will be the best player in college hockey next year. Start with him as the building block, then when you start to look at the other pieces, Kleven as your #2 LD for example, that is an elite 1 / 2 Left Handed D-man. Then you look at Frisch pairing up with Sanderson, Morrow potentially with Kleven. Moore / Johnson. They'll be young, but really, really talented. Sort of reminds me of Duluth a few years back. 

Speaking of unique, let's look at Goaltending. Scheel leaving is a big blow, but with the Transfer Portal this year, you have that get out of jail free card. With one transaction, this team would be back to neutral. My hope is that Thome looks elsewhere and they bring in a proven #1. 

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed....we just lost a lot. And I’m not super high on the incoming class (for us obviously). This past year was “the year”, next year will be an up and down year.

Correct which is why we could use this year's transfer portal as kind of a bumper year to hopefully give these recruits another year to develop. Getting Cruikshank would be huge as he could immediately be slotted in as our #1 center. Another solid forward and solid D well along with a goalie now would be my wish list. 

8 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Correct which is why we could use this year's transfer portal as kind of a bumper year to hopefully give these recruits another year to develop. Getting Cruikshank would be huge as he could immediately be slotted in as our #1 center. Another solid forward and solid D well along with a goalie now would be my wish list. 

Where we stand this morning, next years team needs three things.

• No More NHL Signings. Confirmation from local media about Sanderson. Weatherby to return. Think those would be the only two that would still have decisions.
  • #1 Goalie Transfer Portal
  • Cruikshank is #1 on my list as well, but a proven Top Line Forward (Transfer Portal)
  • Potentially Foward #2 From the Transfer Portal

I don't see the need for a Defenseman in the Portal.

As it sits right now, making no assumptions about anyone, we need eleven (5F/4D/2G) to fill out a traditional UND 15F/8D/3G twenty-six slot roster. 

I don't have any insights to Bubs' magic roster plan white board. What I can see is announced recruits (and their DOBs) and current stats. What I can also see is players in the transfer portal. Most portals will be one-hit wonders (seniors looking to use the Covid year) but there are a few underclassmen in there also. 

If ever there was a time to bring in a transfer, this is it. You don't want to live with a bubble class of eleven in your recruiting pipeline. You want a flatter profile (6/7/6/7 over four years). What we have right now is 11/3/6/6. Not cool. 

So let's start looking by position.

Goalie: Right now we need two. Thome returning is a reasonable assumption given the known at this time. Kaleb Johnson turns 21 in January. We might know more here than we realize. However, if the second coming of Ed Belfour is in the portal ... 

Defense: We need four. Yikes. Luke Bast is 21 before Thanksgiving. Scott Morrow seems like a fair guess. Speculation here is Benoit needs another USHL year. Brent Johnson was recruited just recently. And there's the shadow of Gabe Bast or Josh Rieger to the side. This seems like a place where if the right portal defenseman was available you could give the recruits that turn just 19 during the coming season (Morrow, Benoit, Johnson) another USHL year if they need it. 

Forward: Nick Portz turns 21 next month. Jake Schmaltz turns 20 this month. Dane Montgomery turns 20 in January. Beyond that, well, it's portal (UND players or other) and other UND recruits. Here I won't even try; too many variables. 

This is the most unsure about a fall roster I've ever been at the end of a season. 

Bubs' and staff has some work ahead of them. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

Where we stand this morning, next years team needs three things.

• No More NHL Signings. Confirmation from local media about Sanderson. Weatherby to return. Think those would be the only two that would still have decisions.
  • #1 Goalie Transfer Portal
  • Cruikshank is #1 on my list as well, but a proven Top Line Forward (Transfer Portal)
  • Potentially Foward #2 From the Transfer Portal

I don't see the need for a Defenseman in the Portal.

Agreed on much of your post.  If they don't go looking for a defenseman in the portal I'd assume that Johnson would be coming in next season to put them at 7 guys on the back end.  If they found a way to get Gabe Bast to stay they'd be fine going into next season on D. 

Just now, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I'm not good at staying up to date on recruits. Is Ethan Bowen still a thing?

Here's what I have by position group then age (old to young):

Forwards:
Portz, Nick
Schmaltz, Jake
Montgomery, Dane
Bowen, Ethan
Strinden, Ben
Kunz, Jackson
Constantini, Matteo
Blake, Jackson
James, Dylan
Panzer, Jaksen
Singleton, Bowden
Spicer, Cole

Defense: 
Bast , Luke
Morrow, Scott
Benoit, Nate
Johnson, Brent
Dunbar, Tyler
Ausmus, Trey

Goaltender:
Johnson, Kaleb
Hedquist, Hobie

Just now, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Thank you! I guess my question is more, is he a high end guy? I thought he was a pretty big get at one point?

I’ve seen him play. He’s good. Power forward type.  Had a broken wrist last season that significantly set him back. 

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Here's what I have by position group then age (old to young):

Forwards:
Portz, Nick
Schmaltz, Jake
Montgomery, Dane
Bowen, Ethan
Strinden, Ben
Kunz, Jackson
Constantini, Matteo
Blake, Jackson
James, Dylan
Panzer, Jaksen
Singleton, Bowden
Spicer, Cole

Defense: 
Bast , Luke
Morrow, Scott
Benoit, Nate
Johnson, Brent
Dunbar, Tyler
Ausmus, Trey

Goaltender:
Johnson, Kaleb
Hedquist, Hobie

Ummmm.....coaching staff.......goalies.....goalies.  Hedquist just turned 18 playing in the USHL, at least one more year, but not a great year stats wise for him.  I've seen Kaleb play and the kid is a competitor.  Okay numbers in the NA, not great, but serviceable.  Portal goalie it is......

• Upvote 1

None of these departures are a surprise including Scheel and Weatherby if he signs with the Sharks. Coaches knew this team was loaded and guys would leave. They know what they have, who’s coming in, and what’s out there. The extra year because of covid changes things a bit but they are always thinking a year or 2 or 3 ahead.