SiouxSports.com Forum

UND hockey team anthem kneeling

gfhockey

11 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

And you are not an internet warrior for defending these white boys???? When is the last time you came on this site before this came up? Threats are unacceptable but we have just as much right to have an opinion on the matter and many think they are boneheads....

White boys?  Sheesh, that says a lot.  You’re right- it’s been a while and it seems I haven’t missed much.  Have a nice night.

9 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is way over the line. A lot of hockey players have working-class backgrounds and their parents sacrificed a lot of things so they could play hockey. Are some of them spoiled? Probably. Are all or even most of them? I don't believe so. Our program has had athletes of good character as long as I have followed it.

None of them have lived one day as a black man. They will never know what it is like. It’s not even a comparison. Some of the most racist kids I knew were hockey players so ....

2 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

I got no problem with any Sioux player kneeling or any other athlete for that matter. I will still support my teams and athletes whether they choose to do this or not. I understand they are using their platform for doing what they think needs to be done, bringing awareness to injustices and trying to help better those disadvantaged.

Disadvantaged? You mean lazy, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, siouxforeverbaby said:

Okay....you all realize that Weatherby's adopted brother is black right..?

His grandmother participated in the Selma to Montgomery march....

His grandfather fled the Nazis as a young Jewish boy.

He understands racism.

Both Jasper and JBD talked about why they are doing it and why they attended a peaceful demonstration this summer.  They have been very open about this.

You have every right to disagree with what they did.  You have every right to not be happy that they did it.  Just like they have every right to do it.  Is what they did the same as I would have done?  Nope....but I respect their right to make that decision for themselves.

Yes, they have every right to be a couple d-bags. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Bye troll

Ouch. I meant no ill will my friend, only trying to point out 1-wishing harm on anyone, including a player, is BS and 2-I don’t think anyone on this thread is in a position to judge, given I think there is serious social injustice that exists—and nothing has seemed to fix it yet- so it might make people a little uncomfortable to address.  

I shouldn’t have mentioned internet warriors- maybe a bit of frustration.  I do enjoy this site, for the hockey and UND chat, but I was surprised to see it, like everything, has become divisive and political.  Peace...

10 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Here's another log on the fire courtesy of the Star Tribune's Michael Rand...doesn't miss a chance to get a shot in at UND for a certain former nickname either.

https://www.startribune.com/north-dakota-hockey-players-plan-to-kneel-during-anthem/573262031/

I take whatever Mike Rand says with a grain of salt. I went to elementary, jr high and high school with Mike. He grew up in GF, father still works at UND, so I am not so sure what his deal is with GF. 

2 hours ago, crb1 said:

I take whatever Mike Rand says with a grain of salt. I went to elementary, jr high and high school with Mike. He grew up in GF, father still works at UND, so I am not so sure what his deal is with GF. 

Yeah, it's seems like he has an axe to grind.  Maybe he's just having a bad decade.

11 hours ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Generally speaking this is true in hockey.    But for football and basketball?  No way.  Tons of those kids come from environments well below "average joe" standards.   

I was referring to their social status within their environment, not economic status. The cheers, the fans, the hangers-on, the recruiting, the girls; gives one a sense of self importance beyond the ice, field, or court.

11 minutes ago, MinnesotaSiouxFan said:

Berry needs to suspend both of those assholes, and enlighten them with facts about “racial inequality” in this nation.  Then take em on a tour of Arlington Nation Cemetery.  Never thought I’d be this disappointed in my favorite sports team.  Unreal

Reminder:  No profanity or obscenity.  Forum guidelines may be viewed at https://forum.siouxsports.com/guidelines/.

- Moderators

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, MinnesotaSiouxFan said:

Berry needs to suspend both of those assholes, and enlighten them with facts about “racial inequality” in this nation.  Then take em on a tour of Arlington Nation Cemetery.  Never thought I’d be this disappointed in my favorite sports team.  Unreal

1000+

So based on Gage Ausmus' tweets, he was told to back off on his conservative beliefs.

Guessing there is zero chance anyone at UND tells Mr. Weatherby or JBD to tone it down.  

It wouldn't be 2020 if we weren't talking about a win the night after a win. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

None of them have lived one day as a black man. They will never know what it is like. It’s not even a comparison. Some of the most racist kids I knew were hockey players so ....

The vast majority of hockey players haven't even had a black teammate.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, AJS said:

I try to look at these things from every angle. Things I understand.

• The well meaning intention behind JBD's and Jasper's message. Where they are coming from. 
  • Why people would be upset with Kneeling for the anthem 

Things I don't really understand:

• Why you would do something that although isn't your intent, there's a reasonable reason why it would offend and alienate some. Doesn't seem like an effective way to promote a message.
  • What kind of impact JBD and Jasper think this will have. To me it's a little naïve and self-serving. 

Things that make no sense to me:

• Why you would let this act change your opinion on the University / Team. Either withdrawing donations or not attending games in the future. It's bizarre. You go from enjoying something, to being done with it, because two members of the team demonstrate a peaceful protest. Especially when their intentions are pure.

I hope both JBD / Jasper feel their impact was made and this was a one time thing. Things can return from normal and everyone can concentrate on the actual games.

Very well said and I’m on board with this 

50 minutes ago, AJS said:

I try to look at these things from every angle. Things I understand.

• The well meaning intention behind JBD's and Jasper's message. Where they are coming from. 
  • Why people would be upset with Kneeling for the anthem 

Things I don't really understand:

• Why you would do something that although isn't your intent, there's a reasonable reason why it would offend and alienate some. Doesn't seem like an effective way to promote a message.
  • What kind of impact JBD and Jasper think this will have. To me it's a little naïve and self-serving. 

Things that make no sense to me:

• Why you would let this act change your opinion on the University / Team. Either withdrawing donations or not attending games in the future. It's bizarre. You go from enjoying something, to being done with it, because two members of the team demonstrate a peaceful protest. Especially when their intentions are pure.

I hope both JBD / Jasper feel their impact was made and this was a one time thing. Things can return from normal and everyone can concentrate on the actual games.

Because the University standby.  Stand up and educate.  Hockey coaches, AD and President.  Educate.

I definitely understand that they aren't trying to disrespect the flag, or the country, by kneeling and more using this specific time to draw attention to another cause. However, I simply wish these folks would choose another time/place or platform to call attention to these social issues.  By selecting this one specific time (i.e. the time our society has chosen to respect the freedoms we do have) I think it creates more divisiveness.  It's not very well thought out at all....it's almost as if they're looking to "poke the bear". My 2 cents.

• Upvote 1

Not to read too much into it, but hands on shoulders in support and rest of team with arms locked in solidarity seems to be missing from what Schlossman had reported the plan to be? 

The rest of UND's players are expected to lock arms alongside Weatherby and Bernard-Docker, who were both voted alternate captains by their teammates before the season. Those standing next to them will put their hands on their shoulders to show solidarity.

"Everyone has their own values and beliefs," UND captain Jordan Kawaguchi said. "No matter what, we're still a team and support each other. We want to make sure everyone knows there is no disrespect to anyone. We want to respect everyone. This is a sign of support to a certain cause and no disrespect to anyone.

image.thumb.png.3793b91001bbcbc87ff6fa03636bbcef.png

3 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Not to read too much into it, but hands on shoulders in support and rest of team with arms locked in solidarity seems to be missing from what Schlossman had reported the plan to be? 

The rest of UND's players are expected to lock arms alongside Weatherby and Bernard-Docker, who were both voted alternate captains by their teammates before the season. Those standing next to them will put their hands on their shoulders to show solidarity.

"Everyone has their own values and beliefs," UND captain Jordan Kawaguchi said. "No matter what, we're still a team and support each other. We want to make sure everyone knows there is no disrespect to anyone. We want to respect everyone. This is a sign of support to a certain cause and no disrespect to anyone.

image.thumb.png.3793b91001bbcbc87ff6fa03636bbcef.png

They really orchestrated it.  Lot of time and thought put into it.