SiouxSports.com Forum

UND hockey team anthem kneeling

gfhockey

8 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

I’m all for racial equality but disrespecting the star bangeled banner is not ok in my book

wont hold it against the playas but wish they could do it a different way 

Looks like we will have two players kneeling tomorrow during the national anthem. Hopefully just the two.

2 minutes ago, Big Green said:

These 2 players are going to cost the university a bunch of money.  A lot of donors with not put up with this and will pull their donations.  

Trey Lance is holding on line 3......

I'm not going to get political on this, don't need the ban hammer, but, at this point I don't understand how people don't see that the only thing kneeling does is piss people off... actually, it completely buried your cause in the uproar.  Not smart

5 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

People not happy about players kneeling during the anthem yet so many fans have zero issue shouting “home of the Sioux” instead of home of the brave which many people(non-UND fans) find disrespectful. I personally don’t care that most fans do it nor do I care about the kneeling. It is what it is. /shrug

Yelling Fighting Sioux became a tradition and untied many people. It still exists today so don’t say it didn’t.

Kneeling during the anthem will never merit that or become a tradition. Bank on that. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

People not happy about players kneeling during the anthem yet so many fans have zero issue shouting “home of the Sioux” instead of home of the brave which many people(non-UND fans) find disrespectful. I personally don’t care that most fans do it nor do I care about the kneeling. It is what it is. /shrug

Both are disrespectful.  I’m against both.  It’s embarrassing that our fan base still yells Sioux at the end of National Anthem 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Both are disrespectful.  I’m against both.  It’s embarrassing that our fan base still yells Sioux at the end of National Anthem 

To be fair, the ndsu fans do the same, the KC cheifs fans do similar, the NY jets fans do as well.. sure there is a bunch of others I have missed

11 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Do a lot more good to condemn racism as a team with a video statement or something. 

They are young and naive, what can you do.  It’s like thinking kneeling for the National Anthem could stop fighting in hockey thus reducing violence in society as a whole.  The thing we were worried about with Miller taking the focus off of the team is now happening with this.  They actually just put a little more scrutiny on themselves, as if they don’t play well their focus will be in question.  Be interesting to know if they planned on doing it with fans in the house.  Would imagine they would get booed heartily.

4 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Kneeling has caused more divide and made people more upset. It’s a weak tactic. Change and use a different method imo humble/respectful opinion. 

With all due respect, most of the angst about the rioting, protesting, and looting was not that the idiots shouldn't have had the right to demonstrate or display (in fact, the overwhelming public sentiment was exactly that), but that they simply chose the wrong tactic, the wrong method, and the wrong venue.

Assuming that you're on board with freedom of expression, would you place quietly kneeling during an anthem on the end of the spectrum closest to - or furthest from - burning down a Target?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, MDtoGF said:

The department, especially Men's Hockey, has some questions to answer on the aftermath of Mitchell Miller, give them a read here if you would like. https://seamoresports.com/2020/12/01/unanswered-questions-und-mens-hockey/

Been there, done that. The MM thread was locked weeks ago.  

Whatever was left of that horse was reduced to bloody pulp.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Schloss sluethed that one out

He must be buttering up his social justice archives in preparation for a job at the NYT. Guy has gone full send on 2020. Surprising considering the GFH is already hanging on by a thread. Why alienate half your readers?! Bad business sense apparently  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1