SiouxSports.com Forum

UND hockey team anthem kneeling

gfhockey

31 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

I too am offended by anybody kneeling during the playing of our National Anthem. Like what was said by dmksioux, On their own time...have at it, not when they are part of a team representing UND.

As herb Brooks once said" the name on the front is a hell of a lot more important than the name on the back!"

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

That's rich comng from you but carry on.

No need to get personal, this isn't the dumsterfire.  Leave that there.  

Either way, you have me mixed up with someone else.  I'm not a fan of PC culture at all.    There still exists people who think for themselves nowadays and aren't part of a 'political team'.  

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

It's called political correctness, cancel culture, etc. 

Those that are complaining that we don't like them kneeling during the anthem are doing the exact same thing we are doing.  We don't like them kneeling or locking arms and are saying so.  They are saying they don't like us questioning the players actions and supporting them.  Apparently it's ok to support them, but heaven forbid we question misguided college students.  

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

Many (not all) standout athletes, particularly DI athletes, are pampered. They live in a world quite different from us "average Joes" and always have. Good for them. They are talented in a way that most of us will never experience. We enjoy watching their talent. But because of their talent, those around them have idolized them, giving them every advantage. Their self-importance grows. There is no better representation of this privilege than when we have to hear college athletes who are wearing state-funded uniforms, practicing and playing in benefactor-funded facilities, eating chef-prepared meals, receiving full-ride private/state funded scholarships while representing a state university --- say "we have a platform, and its our right to raise awareness for our cause via that platform...."  No son, you're floating on a platform someone built for you. You're a beneficiary, and you're representing the builders.

Do they have the right to kneel during the Anthem?  Of course, this is America. Should they. Not in my opinion. When you are representing the University of North Dakota, respect the flag.

When you are on your own time - like marching in the Floyd Rally - by all means, do your thing.

Well Said

35 minutes ago, snooty89 said:

Those that are complaining that we don't like them kneeling during the anthem are doing the exact same thing we are doing.  We don't like them kneeling or locking arms and are saying so.  They are saying they don't like us questioning the players actions and supporting them.  Apparently it's ok to support them, but heaven forbid we question misguided college students.  

Complain all you want.  But it seems like most people are inquiring into why this is such a big deal.  I mean our fanbase been disrespecting the anthem for 40 years now.       

Btw, the PC and cancel culture is in regards to those posts advocating to limit what these players do, or (like a previous post) advocating violence.     

• Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Sounds as if people's disapproval is misplaced.  

If innately disrespecting the anthem was so offensive, why has our fanbase continually yelled “Sioux” at the end it with absolutely no repercussions?  It’s the same thing.  People are making a statement at the expense of the anthem.  

If it's an issue of politics, just say so.  Don't butter it up with the anthem disrespect stuff that our fanbase has been engaged in for 40+ years now.  Then again, if you don't want politics in sport, perhaps we shouldn't play the anthem at all.    

If people choose not to attend or financially support a team due to someone yelling at the end of the anthem that is their choice. 

I am not aware of any repercussions for the players that may choose to kneel vs those that choose to yell at the end of the anthem.  

What is their punishment if they kneel this afternoon? 

1 minute ago, homer said:

If people choose not to attend or financially support a team due to someone yelling at the end of the anthem that is their choice. 

I am not aware of any repercussions for the players that may choose to kneel vs those that choose to yell at the end of the anthem.  

What is their punishment if they kneel this afternoon? 

A stern look?

26 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

Many (not all) standout athletes, particularly DI athletes, are pampered. They live in a world quite different from us "average Joes" and always have. Good for them. They are talented in a way that most of us will never experience. We enjoy watching their talent. But because of their talent, those around them have idolized them, giving them every advantage. Their self-importance grows. There is no better representation of this privilege than when we have to hear college athletes who are wearing state-funded uniforms, practicing and playing in benefactor-funded facilities, eating chef-prepared meals, receiving full-ride private/state funded scholarships while representing a state university --- say "we have a platform, and its our right to raise awareness for our cause via that platform...."  No son, you're floating on a platform someone built for you. You're a beneficiary, and you're representing the builders.

Do they have the right to kneel during the Anthem?  Of course, this is America. Should they. Not in my opinion. When you are representing the University of North Dakota, respect the flag.

When you are on your own time - like marching in the Floyd Rally - by all means, do your thing.

Generally speaking this is true in hockey.    But for football and basketball?  No way.  Tons of those kids come from environments well below "average joe" standards.   

1 minute ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

It'll be interesting to see if they show the anthem now specifically because of the article promoting their decision.

Midco always goes to a commercial during the anthem........until today is my guess.

I think another thing that is lost in this is the precedent it sets.  Why not fake hurl during intros to protest world hunger? Why not skate over to the color guard and grab your crotch in protest of US wars in the Middle East?  Give the middle finger to any police you see in the stands to protest police brutality?  It's their right to free speech right?

3 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

I think another thing that is lost in this is the precedent it sets.  Why not fake hurl during intros to protest world hunger? Why not skate over to the color guard and grab your crotch in protest of US wars in the Middle East?  Give the middle finger to any police you see in the stands to protest police brutality?  It's their right to free speech right?

or perhaps yelling "F her in the P....sy" during a moment of silence....

Just now, 90siouxfan said:

or perhaps yelling "F her in the P....sy" during a moment of silence....

Why not?  Since we are opening this up to individual expression instead of keeping it an actual team sporting event..... With all of the individual causes being pushed let the players go out there 1 on 1 to decide the game.  Why even have a team?

2 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Isn't the rest of the team locking arms during the anthem?   Maybe they should ALL do that to represent unity as a team.

Do they really have a choice? What if a player wants to stand still and respect the flag and the anthem?

• Upvote 1