SiouxSports.com Forum

UND hockey team anthem kneeling

gfhockey

3 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

I'm thinking he should get down on both knees, fold his hands, & thank God he is in a country that allows him the freedom to express himself in such a way.

I wasn’t aware he wasn’t be allowed to kneel if he chooses.  Did I miss an announcement? 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

I'm not saying that UND doesn't have mostly high character kids (now that Miller is gone)....but don't think for a second that there are many kids from blue collar families suiting up for the team today.  That is just naive.  Even at the lower levels hockey is now a sport that poor kids can't touch.  To hit the elite levels and play in all of the extra camps and leagues that every UND player played in, you don't have alot that came from families where both parents were slugging away for $30-40k a year.  

If this is the case, it is bad for the game in general. :sad:

• Like 1

I'm appreciate the point they are trying to make, I just don't agree with their method. Seems like if you want to actually bring attention to your cause you would want to do so in a less divisive way. 

When people boo for those kneeling, I don't believe it has anything to do with race or equality ... it has everything to do with the disrespect of kneeling during the national anthem.

It would be like continuing to kick you in the face and expect that you will somehow start agreeing with my cause. From day 1 this kneeling business was divisive, the more people the started doing it, the more upset people get. The folks who are doing this are only hurting their own cause by not finding a better way to create awareness. Seems to me that taking a knee is simply the easy thing to do, and people would rather stir the pot and create more issues that find a smart way to bring everyone together.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If this is the case, it is bad for the game in general. :sad:

unfortunetly, this the case with a great majority of the kids that have lower/ middle income families.  you have to be extra special to even get consideration at the higher levels, and that comes with a very great price and much  sacrafice by families

8 minutes ago, airmail said:

GF area legislator was on the line - sorry can't remember the name. Legislators are in Bismarck for orientation/ organization session. Apparently lots of "chatter in the hallways" on the topic (as well as the similar 'SU incident). One comment heard by the caller was that higher ed is already over-funded. He implied that this incident could possibly initiate talks regarding future funding.  

Obviously, no decisions, just chatter. But serious chatter by people that actually hold some cards. 

Ah, that's certainly possible.  If it was Holmberg or Sanford then the University needs to stop the players immediately.

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

A freedom a good number of individuals on this forum think should not be afforded collegiate student-athletes.

There is not one person who has said he can’t do it.  Just like most things everyone is stating there will be reactions to his actions.  Maybe some bad, maybe some good.  No one is saying he shouldn’t be allowed to though.  

7 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

A freedom a good number of individuals on this forum think should not be afforded collegiate student-athletes.

They have the freedom to do so.  Many are upset that they are using a platform, that is supported by those who don't agree with their ideology.  Why would I, or others, want to continue to monetarily support an athletic department, who allows students to demonstrate against my/our personal beliefs?  Again, on their own time and own dime, have at it.  I'm offended by them kneeling during the anthem, that alone, based on their logic, should stop them from kneeling.  If someone is offended, it shouldn't happen right?  

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It's amazing the number of people that think freedom of speech means freedom from consequences.  Due to the current political climate it would never happen, but JBD and Weatherby do have the freedom to do what they want during the national anthem......but since they are representing UND, Brad Berry would also have the freedom to bench them for a game because of it.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

It's amazing the number of people that think freedom of speech means freedom from consequences.  Due to the current political climate it would never happen, but JBD and Weatherby do have the freedom to do what they want during the national anthem......but since they are representing UND, Brad Berry would also have the freedom to bench them for a game because of it.  

There are people who want to amend the Constitution to make flag burning illegal. Don't think a "Patriotic Speech" amendment banning speech critical of the United States cannot happen. That is what I am afraid of with issues like this.

As for Berry benching players for kneeling, his job security is in part based on winning hockey games, so I don't see that happening.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

I have never understood the whole kneeling thing...but for the sake of the program, I’m hoping Bubs would never sit them or it would go national quick 

Just now, Sweethockey said:

I too am offended by anybody kneeling during the playing of our National Anthem. Like what was said by dmksioux, On their own time...have at it, not when they are part of a team representing UND.

Isn't the rest of the team locking arms during the anthem?   Maybe they should ALL do that to represent unity as a team.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'm appreciate the point they are trying to make, I just don't agree with their method. Seems like if you want to actually bring attention to your cause you would want to do so in a less divisive way. 

When people boo for those kneeling, I don't believe it has anything to do with race or equality ... it has everything to do with the disrespect of kneeling during the national anthem.

It would be like continuing to kick you in the face and expect that you will somehow start agreeing with my cause. From day 1 this kneeling business was divisive, the more people the started doing it, the more upset people get. The folks who are doing this are only hurting their own cause by not finding a better way to create awareness. Seems to me that taking a knee is simply the easy thing to do, and people would rather stir the pot and create more issues that find a smart way to bring everyone together.

Agree.  Both have professional aspirations, so maybe to show that they are serious about change agree to donate a certain amount of their signing bonus to organizations that support the cause.   It would certainly be noticed if a pro athlete donated half of their signing bonus right out of the gate, and it wouldn't be offending anyone they are trying to convert or educate. 

3 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Sounds as if people's disapproval is misplaced.  

If innately disrespecting the anthem was so offensive, why has our fanbase continually yelled “Sioux” at the end it with absolutely no repercussions?  It’s the same thing.  People are making a statement at the expense of the anthem.  

If it's an issue of politics, just say so.  Don't butter it up with the anthem disrespect stuff that our fanbase has been engaged in for 40+ years now.  Then again, if you don't want politics in sport, perhaps we shouldn't play the anthem at all.    

At risk of repeating myself...my thoughts only of course...

3 hours ago, dmksioux said:

I never liked the home of the Sioux during the anthem and never participated.  The difference here is the fans are paying customers who spend their money and have freedom of speech.  These athletic programs are being supported by these fans through donations and contributions.  Monetarily, the athletes are not invested.  Other than the non-scholly players.  Can the kids kneel for the anthem.  Sure.  Will it upset a portion of the fanbase, absolutely.  Will it affect the bottom line of UND athletics, I’m guessing it will.  Will the AD/coaches support the “biting the hand that feeds you?”

im with the crowd that will stop following/donating/supporting UND teams that do this.  Already stopped following professional sports.  The fans gave athletes their platform and they can just as easily take it away.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

If innately disrespecting the anthem was so offensive, why has our fanbase continually yelled “Sioux” at the end it with absolutely no repercussions?  It’s the same thing.  People are making a statement at the expense of the anthem.  

If it's an issue of politics, just say so.  Don't butter it up with the anthem disrespect stuff that our fanbase has been engaged in for 40+ years now.  Then again, if you don't want politics in sport, perhaps we shouldn't play the anthem at all.    

The flag and anthem are two different things.  I didn't pledge allegiance to the anthem in grade school.  Do they still do that?

9 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

I've wondered for years what the actual point of playing the anthem before sporting events is.

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

The flag and anthem are two different things.  I didn't pledge allegiance to the anthem in grade school.  

They're the same thing.  They're symbols.  

And no, you didn't innately pledge allegiance to a piece of dye colored cloth.  Your life will continue unabated if that cloth goes up in flames.  You pledged allegiance to what it stands for.  What the flag represents is what's precious, not the flag itself.      

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

I support the kneeling players and our team will lock arms and support them too.  Its ridiculous that people still get upset over something that hurts noone.  

It's called political correctness, cancel culture, etc.