SiouxSports.com Forum

UND hockey team anthem kneeling

gfhockey

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Unless I missed it, they did not broadcast the anthem on TV/streaming.  I wish Schloss had treated this more like the bullying incident :lol:???  Rumors are less likely to lead to pulled donations.

Which teams media reporters tweets the first photo? 

1 hour ago, homer said:

If people choose not to attend or financially support a team due to someone yelling at the end of the anthem that is their choice. 

I am not aware of any repercussions for the players that may choose to kneel vs those that choose to yell at the end of the anthem.  

What is their punishment if they kneel this afternoon? 

The players won't likely feel any affect from their actions directly. Like I said I am indifferent to anthem kneelers and people are allowed to believe what they want in regards to kneeling. Some of the people who are not fans of it may be alumni, represent corporations, and own businesses and it certainly is their decision whether they want to be associated with or contribute to this activity.....from the sounds of things it has not gone over very well in Fargo and the Team Makers are feeling it in their pocketbook.

UND Hockey is counted on to generate revenue, sponsorships, and contributions to help fund the non revenue generating sports. So what happens if some of those funds shrink or dry up? Like I said, it won't be the hockey teams that feels the pain first. It will be the other programs that suffer first and would be on the potential chopping block first. The athletes on scholarship in those sports would be next. Maybe an assistant in the athletic directors office or coaches office loses hours or their job. If enough money disappears maybe the team loses their chef, maybe the facilities they enjoy don't get updated, maybe the stick budget shrinks, cost of living stipends shrink.

It will be the athletes 2-4 years down the road that will feel the Law of Unintended Consequences...or maybe all the alumni and other contributors just shrug their shoulders and continue on business as usual.

20 minutes ago, petey23 said:

The players won't likely feel any affect from their actions directly. Like I said I am indifferent to anthem kneelers and people are allowed to believe what they want in regards to kneeling. Some of the people who are not fans of it may be alumni, represent corporations, and own businesses and it certainly is their decision whether they want to be associated with or contribute to this activity.....from the sounds of things it has not gone over very well in Fargo and the Team Makers are feeling it in their pocketbook.

UND Hockey is counted on to generate revenue, sponsorships, and contributions to help fund the non revenue generating sports. So what happens if some of those funds shrink or dry up? Like I said, it won't be the hockey teams that feels the pain first. It will be the other programs that suffer first and would be on the potential chopping block first. The athletes on scholarship in those sports would be next. Maybe an assistant in the athletic directors office or coaches office loses hours or their job. If enough money disappears maybe the team loses their chef, maybe the facilities they enjoy don't get updated, maybe the stick budget shrinks, cost of living stipends shrink.

It will be the athletes 2-4 years down the road that will feel the Law of Unintended Consequences...or maybe all the alumni and other contributors just shrug their shoulders and continue on business as usual.

There is no immediate response.  If this happened infront of fans at home I'm sure there would be plenty of people yelling at them to stand up.  They don't have to deal with it until they do it at home with fans in attendance.  

1 minute ago, snooty89 said:

There is no immediate response.  If this happened infront of fans at home I'm sure there would be plenty of people yelling at them to stand up.  They don't have to deal with it until they do it at home with fans in attendance.  

Fans would be too busy chanting Home of the Sioux to care oh wait I guess disrespecting the anthem only matters when you kneel

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, airmail said:

GF area legislator was on the line - sorry can't remember the name. Legislators are in Bismarck for orientation/ organization session. Apparently lots of "chatter in the hallways" on the topic (as well as the similar 'SU incident). One comment heard by the caller was that higher ed is already over-funded. He implied that this incident could possibly initiate talks regarding future funding.  

Obviously, no decisions, just chatter. But serious chatter by people that actually hold some cards. 

Perhaps those legislators need to be named since cutting funding for the states two largest universities because players on their sporting teams kneeled for the anthem would be a ridiculous overreaction. 

2 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Fans would be too busy chanting Home of the Sioux to care oh wait I guess disrespecting the anthem only matters when you kneel

Plenty of time for us to booooo until it's time to gather our thoughts and yell home of the Sioux.  It will be fine. :)

2 hours ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

It's rich people are upset about disrespect when one of unds traditions is disrespecting the antem with home of the sioux.  

Little late on the drive-by one liner but....

To actually compare these two things and the symbolism they represent, history and purpose is at best IGNORANCE.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tnt said:

Agree.  Both have professional aspirations, so maybe to show that they are serious about change agree to donate a certain amount of their signing bonus to organizations that support the cause.   It would certainly be noticed if a pro athlete donated half of their signing bonus right out of the gate, and it wouldn't be offending anyone they are trying to convert or educate. 

Money is certainly one avenue, but I have no opposition to athletes being vocal about where they stand. Its all about their approach. Be creative and find a way that actually brings people closer together. From my point of view, this generates way more discussion about kneeling that racial equality; sooo what is being accomplished?