SiouxSports.com Forum

UND hockey team anthem kneeling

gfhockey

5 minutes ago, snooty89 said:

Or maybe you should endeavor to understand what is in the poster's heart instead of two white kids that have no idea what racism actually is.

Thanks for the tip, but I'd say the poster made it pretty gosh darn clear what is in her heart.  A lot of unresolved grief and resentment, apparently, manifesting in a positively vile way that projects onto others and seems to blind her to or at least limit her view on a complex issue.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Thanks for the tip, but I'd say the poster made it pretty gosh darn clear what is in her heart.  A lot of unresolved grief and resentment, apparently, manifesting in a positively vile way that projects onto others and seems to blind her to or at least limit her view on a complex issue.

Is this your 2nd job?? :wink:

giphy (1).gif

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I mean I read nothing vile in what she posted.  Guess two different people can read things in a variety of ways.  

16 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

There.....you got me. Holding a cardboard sign at a protest in Fargo is enough to convince me.

My bad on this one.........

I must have missed something.  Did part of our team partake in the "peaceful protests" this summer?  Genuinely have no idea.  Hope not.  

I once enjoyed reading this forum. Funny how a bunch of internet warriors can sit and judge a bold move by student athletes.  To the guy wishing physical harm on a UND player - GFY.  Ban me if you like, but that’s just unacceptable.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, snooty89 said:

I must have missed something.  Did part of our team partake in the "peaceful protests" this summer?  Genuinely have no idea.  Hope not.  

My apologies.....was not in Fargo. Was at a BLM protest in GF.

18 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Only if my kids want to, or likely their hockey teams will go as a team function.  I guess it's not right to punish them cause of 2 silver spoon privileged douchebags.

The only d-bag I see is the internet troll thinking he knows more than two hard working guys, and likely everyone else.  Take a hike.

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

A bold move would be going to visit the Cody Holte family. But if being bold is kneeling for a photo op for Scloss's Twitter feed so be it.

Who are we do judge what they do to stand up?  Maybe there’s more to it.  Bit presumptuous to think the kneeling is the extent of their action.  You’re entitled to your opinion, but this thread is sickening.  Maybe they haven’t figured it all out, but they’re taking a stand.  Unlike many that sit behind a keyboard- and that’s not directed at you Oxbow.

12 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

"...spitting on a flag draped coffin in front of the family."  

751371837_ScreenShot2020-12-02at7_15_54PM.thumb.png.31cb5d9265a7e6d9489c067ae1636cee.png

I think we misunderstood each other.  I was meaning she didn't say anything other than how it made her feel.  Her feelings aren't vile is what I meant.  The action she described is yes. 

• Upvote 1

Okay....you all realize that Weatherby's adopted brother is black right..?

His grandmother participated in the Selma to Montgomery march....

His grandfather fled the Nazis as a young Jewish boy.

He understands racism.

Both Jasper and JBD talked about why they are doing it and why they attended a peaceful demonstration this summer.  They have been very open about this.

You have every right to disagree with what they did.  You have every right to not be happy that they did it.  Just like they have every right to do it.  Is what they did the same as I would have done?  Nope....but I respect their right to make that decision for themselves.

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I'm reminded of going to church as a Catholic.  As rote as many of the traditions of Mass are, including the predictable collective standing, kneeling, etc., I can recall several parishioners who would genuflect or kneel while others were standing, or who would bow their heads at different times.  Even when taking communion, some do a sign, others genuflect right there at the altar, and some did both, while many others did nothing.

Nobody ever said "Boo" about it, including my hyper-Catholic, nun-trained, Mass-every-day father.  It was their thing.  Their relationship with God.  Who was anyone to question it.

If you respect people's rights to worship and practice religion with individual variation, rather than blindly following along with the crowd, how can you begrudge some people who want to observe the national anthem with a solemn, non-disruptive display?

Would you next take after people who choose not to sing, or mouth the words, or shuffle on their feet, or who look positively disengaged and detached?

Maybe the only solution is to eliminate the anthem from most public gatherings altogether.

22 minutes ago, Sioux 27 said:

Please dont compare Catholic church to players kneeling?  

And why is that? It's abundantly clear to me that the reverence several people on here feel for the flag and anthem is on par with religion.  The Mass is a rite full of symbolic words and gestures engaged in by a group of like-minded individuals, just like standing and singing the national anthem or reciting the pledge of allegiance.  Any deviation from the norm is both noteworthy and immediately perceptible.

I think the parallels are far more than you realize.

1 hour ago, UKSioux said:

I once enjoyed reading this forum. Funny how a bunch of internet warriors can sit and judge a bold move by student athletes.  To the guy wishing physical harm on a UND player - GFY.  Ban me if you like, but that’s just unacceptable.

And you are not an internet warrior for defending these white boys???? When is the last time you came on this site before this came up? Threats are unacceptable but we have just as much right to have an opinion on the matter and many think they are boneheads....

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, UNDlaw80 said:

All this outrage over anthem kneeling is another example of political correctness running amok.  
As long as they’re not hurting anybody, or infringing on others’ rights, who cares if someone kneels during the anthem.  It’s not like doing as such is giving you people cancer.  
Deal with it.  Or learn something from it.  

Anyhow, according to the article, the rest of the team will be locking arms during the anthem in support of the kneeling players and racial justice.  That’s great to hear.  Great for team unity.  

I wonder how the football team feels about this? The football team probably  has players that have actually been discriminated against. These hockey players make me feel like they are stealing the thunder and attention away from the football team to the hockey team when none of them know firsthand what it feels like. Not sure if relations between the two teams has ever been great but I know there was some animosity in the past. We will see if this helps.