SiouxSports.com Forum

UND hockey team anthem kneeling

gfhockey

1 hour ago, snooty89 said:

There is no immediate response.  If this happened infront of fans at home I'm sure there would be plenty of people yelling at them to stand up.  They don't have to deal with it until they do it at home with fans in attendance.  

I wonder if they will continue to do this throughout the season...I think they made their point today.

When we have gone to Hockey games, we always arrived early to take in warm ups and stayed until the very end of the game regardless of the outcome.

I oppose any players that kneel during the National Anthem, they can do what they want, I find it disrespectful.  We will no longer go to any game as long as they continue doing so.  When I have attended games, it's was always with a group of people, so I won't be the only one not attending. We are really disppointed that it had to happen to UND Hockey, as we also no longer support any pro sports that show the same disrespect.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Washburn Sioux said:

When we have gone to Hockey games, we always arrived early to take in warm ups and stayed until the very end of the game regardless. of the outcome.

I oppose any players that kneel during the National Anthem, they can do what they want, I find it disrespectful.  We will no longer go to any game as long as they continue doing so.  When I have attended games, it's was always with a group of people, so I won't be the only one not attending. We are really disppointed that it had to happen to UND Hockey, as we also no longer support any pro sports that show the same disrespect.

Well said.

I got no problem with any Sioux player kneeling or any other athlete for that matter. I will still support my teams and athletes whether they choose to do this or not. I understand they are using their platform for doing what they think needs to be done, bringing awareness to injustices and trying to help better those disadvantaged.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Hawkster said:

If players aren't free to kneel during the anthem, then we have no freedom in this country. 

They are free to do it and did. Now others will decide how they'll interpret it and deal with it. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

They are free to do it and did. Now others will decide how they'll interpret it and deal with it. 

I probably should have said I'd rather they didn't kneel but they have that right.   My guess is it gets ignored and life goes on.

6 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

If players aren't free to kneel during the anthem, then we have no freedom in this country. 

They are free to kneel just like we are free to tell them they are wrong and misguided.  Do what you want and don't be surprised by a backlash.  

3 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

I probably should have said I'd rather they didn't kneel but they have that right.   My guess is it gets ignored and life goes on.

Ummmmmm.......think that ship has sailed.

......and wait until Schloss and McFolly opine on this tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Gma loves hockey said:

Whenever I see players kneeling for the anthem, I get a visual picture of them spitting on a flag draped coffin in front of the family.   Maybe having childhood neighbor Steve, and high school classmate Leo, come home this way makes it more personal to me.

That's heavy. Ironically, perhaps, Steve and Leo died under an oath to defend the Constitution, not your feelings. But what's done is done.

Maybe you should endeavor to understand what is in those players' hearts, rather than judge them on a single perceived slight.

Cheers.

1 minute ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

That's heavy. Ironically, perhaps, Steve and Leo died under an oath to defend the Constitution, not your feelings. But what's done is done.

Maybe you should endeavor to understand what is in those players' hearts, rather than judge them on a single perceived slight.

Cheers.

Or maybe you should endeavor to understand what is in the poster's heart instead of two white kids that have no idea what racism actually is.  I am sure the two kneeling have never worn a Sioux hoodie or shirt right.  Because if they really cared about social justice issues maybe they could think about what that logo makes certain native americans feel.  Selective outrage is all over the place.  

3 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Cheers.

There.....you got me. Holding a cardboard sign at a protest in Fargo is enough to convince me.

My bad on this one.........

8 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

If I kneeled or burned the flag while representing my company, I would suspect I would be fired before I could get up off my knee.  That is the point everyone is trying to make, when they are on the ice they are representing the University.  Would it be o.k. for either of them to stand, take their glove off and flip off the flag?  Do that on your own time, not when you are representing more than yourself.

• Upvote 4