SiouxSports.com Forum

UND hockey team anthem kneeling

gfhockey

7 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Could UND be a couple players short tomorrow night vs DU?  BLM is organizing a march around the NDSU campus tomorrow at 200 pm.

They are going to need a few white guys there so Antifa can be blamed if things get out of control. 

11 hours ago, bison73 said:

And those actions also have consequences.

Yep. I don't think anyone has said different. The athletic department was aware of what those might be. They were also aware of the blowback of putting a full ban on preventing any expression. I have already stated, I believe they compromised for a one time thing during the first game.

12 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Would the athletic department let a player in any sport parade out a Thin Blue Line flag pregame prior to the anthem? Or is there just a ban on preventing certain expressions?

I think EVERY player should have a sign, take a knee, give a shout-out, or have some sort of unique message for those of us tuning in each and every game.  Here’s hoping “Save the Narwhals” makes it!;)

On 12/2/2020 at 9:46 AM, Nodak78 said:

Its  UND to correct.  My greadgrandfather's brother died in the Civil war.  I will not accept disrespecting the flag and ideals he died for.  I haven't watched pro BB or FB and I done with them.

Bye.  

I'm a UND alumnus and I am very proud of Weatherby and Bernard-Docker.  They have renewed my faith in UND as a place for thoughtful action on social justice issues.  Actually, I am ecstatic.  I hope there would be more expressions of principle from the student body, although I recognize from the responses I see on this forum they will, unfortunately, get very little support from North Dakotans.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

2 minutes ago, Hudson said:

I'm a UND alumnus and I am very proud of Weatherby and Bernard-Docker.  They have renewed my faith in UND as a place for thoughtful action on social justice issues.  Actually, I am ecstatic.  I hope there would be more expressions of principle from the student body, although I recognize from the responses I see on this forum they will, unfortunately, get very little support from North Dakotans.

My great x 5 grandfather fought in the American Revolutionary War under Washington.  His son fought in the War of 1812.   His son and grandson fought on the side of the Confederacy, although in ragtag outfits in what is now West Virginia.  

Kneel away young men.  I reject what the latter half of these ancestors of mine defended. 

Kneel away. I'm proud of these young men also. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Would the athletic department let a player in any sport parade out a Thin Blue Line flag pregame prior to the anthem? Or is there just a ban on preventing certain expressions?

I haven't heard of any issues with various messages on shoes/athletic tape or proclamations of faith during interviews or after games in the past but I'm not sure what the overall discussion has been. I'd venture that "props", such as a flag, go beyond that though. Maybe you can find a few players to take up your cause and see.

Just now, Siouxfan11 said:

Are you new? The dumpster thread say yes

I am beginning to wonder if the site needs a section for stuff like this, with some caveat rules, heavily modded with punishments for etiquette adherence.  But the answer is in my statement, who in there right mind would mod that cesspool.

26 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I'd venture that "props", such as a flag, go beyond that though. Maybe you can find a few players to take up your cause and see.

Nah........that would kind of make the expression and/or protest look contrived.  Oh wait.......nevermind.

On 12/3/2020 at 1:36 PM, jdub27 said:

Considering both of the guys kneeling are wearing an "A" on their jersey, which is voted on by the players, I don't think that is an issue. 

And exactly what time/place do they have that draws the attention that this did? Whether you agree with it or not, that's the whole point. It is a very passive, peaceful, non-confrontational way to make a point in front of a significant audience. 

I'm not sure, I've never felt so strongly about something that I would approach any sort of activism activities.  I do understand why they've chosen this time....just asking a question whether there would be a better time as to not create any sort of further divisiveness. Are there issues with inequality in this country? Sure, but it's gotten a whole lot better than it used to be (I understand this isnt the greatest take).  But to stick up the middle finger at another group of people isnt the solution...from my perspective.  I know one larger donor in particular that is seriously questioning his donation...to the point where he's questioning why these two weren't sat.  I attempted to inform him that Berry's hands are tied and that it would be terrible PR to sit this boys....but nothing really got through. I'm somewhat hoping they back off the kneeling.

On 12/3/2020 at 1:57 PM, Goon said:

Berry During last night's post-game press conference: "And for the one time they did it, the one time tonight, it was something they wanted to do." 

That's what I took from it, too. 

Here it is.  It would be tough for this to be a lengthy activity.  It would make too many local folks upset.

• Upvote 1