SiouxSports.com Forum

UC Davis game day

90siouxfan

Kett was jawing with some fans on the catwalk And pointing to them after he almost got sacked in the end zone and threw the ball away .

the fans must have been giving it to him

he went to the the sideline and bubba got after him, kett brushed him aside and bubba followed him to the bench and started giving  it to him again.

nice to see some fire in bubba.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I re-read the entire game thread and figured we lost.  

UND won, but again made many mistakes that could foreshadow what is to come in the future. A lot of season left - things could go very well or could still go very bad. 

Call me a debbie downer, negative Nancy, or excessive critic (or whatever), but I’ve seen this movie before. Been around football long enough from both the fan and coaching perspective to know there is a lot UND needs to improve on to become a playoff team this season. 

I’m not convinced UND can win over 6 games *yet*.They have to prove they can win on the road. They have to play a full 4 quarter game and demonstrate “killer instinct” and not play cautiously the entire game. In this case, the “cautious” play by the team is certainly a reflection of the head coach’s personality and coaching philosophy. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Kab said:

Kett was jawing with some fans on the catwalk And pointing to them after he almost got sacked in the end zone and threw the ball away .

the fans must have been giving it to him

he went to the the sideline and bubba got after him, kett brushed him aside and bubba followed him to the bench and started giving  it to him again.

nice to see some fire in bubba.

.....and Kett is a captain, correct?

11 hours ago, petey23 said:

Agreed. No need to hurry there. Get the right personal in the game and run a play. Probably force them to burn a time out.

Exactly!!  We have done this many times this season.  I think there have be 4-5 times this year we hurried to the line to try and get a snap off, on a 3rd or 4th and short situation, I think every time we've gotten stuffed.  Take your time and execute it correctly.  

37 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Exactly!!  We have done this many times this season.  I think there have be 4-5 times this year we hurried to the line to try and get a snap off, on a 3rd or 4th and short situation, I think every time we've gotten stuffed.  Take your time and execute it correctly.  

Might be a lack of confidence in the offensive line, thinking they need to keep them off guard.

16 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

You need to be able to get that yard with a quick snap or huddle up.

I don’t think either option is the problem 

The problem was the personnel we had on the field...I am not 100% sure but I think the previous play we had 4 receivers and McKinney on the field.

Offensively we played well. We averaged over 5yds per carry. JJ seemed to pick his spots to be patient and find the seem and otherwise power for 1-3 yds. He also did a nice job of pass  protection. Ket has a good game. He got to his reads quicker and he and RBs did great with their play fakes which gained some time for our receivers. He put the ball in some tight spots and scrambled out of trouble a number of times for some nice gains. He made a big mistake on the int. Weak pass needs to be out of bounds. It’s obvious why he started. Receivers only dropped 1 that I can recall. They did a nice job. One false start. Penalties hurt us more than play calling in second half. Lineman downfield and holding by WR stopped 2 nice drives.  Look at play by play in second half and we were still doing run pass mix similar to first half. We overcame a number of penalties on our successful drives. They stopped us in second half. I didn’t like QB carry on 4th and short. JJ was picking up 1-3 yds when it looked like he didn’t have running room. Big mistake in 4th quarter to run straight ahead 3 times then try field goal. Defense did decent against run. Pass dec challenged by All American QB. He stuck ball into tight spots with decent coverage a number of times. Problems were no pressure on QB and missed assignments leaving receivers wide open too often. They dropped 4-5 balls by wide open receivers.  They catch those, it may have been different. Special team problems continue with poor punting and inconsistent kicking. KO coverage, punt coverage, and no punt blocks all decent. Our KO return was decent. We didn’t have much opportunity to return punts. (They averaged 53 yds per punt). Exciting, entertaining game against ranked opponent with an All  American QB is a good day. Hundreds of empty seats above concourse level between the 30’s. Considering the weather, student attendance fair. The kids who came and stayed for second half stayed in game. 

Ket and oline play like this, we clean up penalties and missed assignments this team can win any remaining games on the schedule. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

Not sure if I want to see him jawing back at UND fans, not a good look.  

“jawing back” could be considered in poor taste and certainly disrespect for a coach... if he can “jaw back” as a captain... then anyone on the team can.  Glad (and totally support) Bubba for following him and settling it. He grew a pair to do that and hopefully other players will respect him!

4 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Offensively we played well. We averaged over 5yds per carry. JJ seemed to pick his spots to be patient and find the seem and otherwise power for 1-3 yds. He also did a nice job of pash protection. Ket has a good game. He got to his reads quicker and he and RBs did great with their play fakes which gained some time for our receivers. He put the ball in some tight spots and scrambled out of trouble a number of times for some nice games. He made a big mistake on the int. Weak pass needs to be out of bounds. It’s obvious why he started. Receivers only dropped 1 that I can recall. They did a nice job. One false start. Penalties hurt us more than play calling in second half. Lineman downfield and holding by WR stopped 2 nice drives.  Look at play by play in second half and we were still doing run pass mix similar to first half. We overcame a number of penalties on our successful drives. They stopped us in second half. I didn’t like QB carry on 4th and short. JJ was picking up 1-3 yds when it looked like he didn’t have running room. Big mistake in 4th quarter to run straight ahead 3 times then try field goal. Defense did decent against run. Pass dec challenged by All American QB. He stuck ball into tight spots with decent coverage a number of times. Problems were no pressure on QB and missed assignments leaving receivers wide open too often. They dropped 4-5 balls by wide open receivers.  They catch those, it may have been different. Special team problems continue with poor punting and inconsistent kicking. KO coverage, punt coverage, and no punt blocks all decent. Our KO return was decent. We didn’t have much opportunity to return punts. (They averaged 53 yds per punt). Exciting, entertaining game against ranked opponent with an All  American QB is a good day. Hundreds of empty seats above concourse level between the 30’s. Considering the weather, student attendance fair. The kids who came and stayed for second half stayed in game. 

Ket and oline play like this, we clean up penalties and missed assignments this team can win any remaining games on the schedule. 

Thank you.  I have been trying to say this since the game ended yesterday and rewatched it again this morning.  Also will be some spots on tape where Kett will see UC Davis was jumping the sideline stuff and a check to WR2 or 3 would have resulted in nice gains.  I’m confident Danny will coach him up on that and he will get even more comfortable next week.  

• Upvote 4

I wonder if bubba was talking to kett on that play about running backwards into the end zone and throwing a pass like he did when intercepted.  He almost gave away a safety on that play.  A few players patted him on the pads after bubba was done with him 

24 minutes ago, Kab said:

I wonder if bubba was talking to kett on that play about running backwards into the end zone and throwing a pass like he did when intercepted.  He almost gave away a safety on that play.  A few players patted him on the pads after bubba was done with him 

That int was the series before correct?