SiouxSports.com Forum

UC Davis game day

90siouxfan

7 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

ok after some time to digest the game, here are my takeaway, because I was definitely way more frustrated that I would have expected after a win against a solid ranked opponent.

- a tale of two halves; Is this on the players lack of execution in the 2nd half, or the coaching staff making the wrong kind of adjustments? I tend to think it had more to do with the coach staff and the type of game they wanted to call. They were trying to force a run game that just wasn't going to work, and they were trying to do so without BB who to that point had been dominant. It is as though Bubba hits a certain lead, or number of points, and thinks its ok to ride it out. If you can score on them, and you can complete passes, then you better do so if you want to compete at this level.

-Had the coaches called a 2nd half the same as they did the 1st half, there would be no complaining, and way more excitement about the win.

-Kett had a nice first half, and for all the complaining against the guy, had some solid moments. He probably isn't going to go out and win you a bunch of games, but he can get the job done. That being said, you cannot scramble back 20 yards like he was doing, especially with how we have seen him fumble when he gets hit, that could be disastrous, and I hope to never ever see him under throw the ball when trying to throw it away. That was just embarrassing... almost as embarrassing as his hair cut. I hope to see another step forward from Kett this week, but the coach need to mix BB in more, and let him throw once in a while to keep that pass threat alive; wow does the kid have some wheels though.

- Who the hell was wearing Brady Leach's jersey at the end of the game? Couldn't have actually been him, could it? Seriously, I had not faith on a 45 yard kick under pressure, but did that kid ever get it done. Good for him and I really hope it is something he can build off of. I was hoping he would be amped up enough after that to boot one into the end zone, but for now I'll take the huge FG. Well done Brady!

- CJ Siegel, is a tremendous talent, and I really hope to see him continue his growth. Unless absolutely needed, I hope Evan can take a RS year and come back healthy and strong next season. Siegel, Fort, Holm, Blubaugh .... thats a dominant secondary.

Definitely looking forward to the game next weekend, but would nice to put a team away early. I am sick of screaming and yelling at my tv in the 4th quarter (and I know my wife is sick of it). Lets have a dominant game where we can get some back ups in for experience and all come away feeling good about beating the hell out of someone.

UND consistently plays down to their competition. After 6 seasons, I am almost certain it is due to the coaching style, specifically Bubba. It will continue to cost UND games until Bubba looks himself in the mirror and changes or else UND moves on. 

You can’t get a 14 point lead and then just go into your shell. It is quite embarrassing and really it has been going on for all 6 years. Too many close games based on this. There have been games where UND could blow it open but they get complacent and ask for the other team to get back into it. They need to develop “killer instinct” and it starts with the head coach committing to this. No more nice guy Bubba and toe to toe. 

This quote after the UC Davis game makes me cringe. Crazy? Like going up 3 possessions before half? C’mon man, try elevelate UND football a bit more. 

We tried to pop one more run to get better field position, but we felt like, 'let's not get crazy here and give them some momentum late in the half,'" Schweigert said. "We popped one good run and tried another. If we got to midfield, you would have seen us get into a different mode."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND consistently plays down to their competition. After 6 seasons, I am almost certain it is due to the coaching style, specifically Bubba. It will continue to cost UND games until Bubba looks himself in the mirror and changes or else UND moves on. 

You can’t get a 14 point lead and then just go into your shell. It is quite embarrassing and really it has been going on for all 6 years. Too many close games based on this. There have been games where UND could blow it open but they get complacent and ask for the other team to get back into it. They need to develop “killer instinct” and it starts with the head coach committing to this. No more nice guy Bubba and toe to toe. 

This quote after the UC Davis game makes me cringe. Crazy? Like going up 3 possessions before half? C’mon man, try elevelate UND football a bit more. 

We tried to pop one more run to get better field position, but we felt like, 'let's not get crazy here and give them some momentum late in the half,'" Schweigert said. "We popped one good run and tried another. If we got to midfield, you would have seen us get into a different mode."

No need to convince me, I’ve been vocal about the same issues. Need the killer instinct. Wanna run the ball and take it easy... get a 40 point lead first. Lennon was never afraid to put the points up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You have said before UND doesn’t have D1 athletes but now say they play down to their competition, which is it? 

I also challenge you to go back and look at the play by play charts from the game and see if the run/pass ratio changed.  I’ll save you the time, it didn’t.  Also, rewatch the game and you will see that the plays were there, just didn’t execute.  I am confident however that the coaching staff will coach players up on that and we will continue to see improvement on our offense as we have the same QB running it the third week in a row.  

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

- Who the hell was wearing Brady Leach's jersey at the end of the game? Couldn't have actually been him, could it? Seriously, I had not faith on a 45 yard kick under pressure, but did that kid ever get it done. Good for him and I really hope it is something he can build off of. I was hoping he would be amped up enough after that to boot one into the end zone, but for now I'll take the huge FG. Well done Brady!

It’s the other Brady that’s been kicking off. 

9 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

CJ has been the biggest surprise on this roster so far. He's a player. Bright future.

Not sure what the record for INT's is, but he's got two already with a lot of game left to play in his career at UND.  You can tell he was recruited some at WR too.....he has the hands that most DB's don't have.  Very few DB's actually pick off that deep pass.....that was a great catch!  If Holm redshirts, next year with Seigel, Bluebaugh, Holm, and Fort......we probably have one of the better two deeps in the FCS at corner.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

You make a valid point.  I think it went something like this:

1st series: pass 21 yds. Called back lineman downfield. Pass 9yds. Run 1 yd. pass 10 yds. (1st Dn). Run (Cam) -1. Pass Inc. Sack. Punt. Pass/Run 5/2. 

2nd Series: (after turnover). Run 5yds. Run 8 yds. (td). 

3rd series:  Pass 6 yds. Pass 2 yds. QB run 6 yds. (1st Dn). Run 2yds. Pass 5yds. Pass to Boltmann Inc. Punt

4th Series:  Run no gain. Pass 5 yds. Pass Int.  

5th series: Run no gain. Run 2 yds. Run. NG. Missed FG. (This is the 3 run series most of us were frustrated with)

6th Series:  Run 1yd. Pass 9 yds (holding penalty). Run 1yd. Pass. Inc. punt

7th series:  Pass 4 yds. Pass Inc.  Pass Inc

punt

Last series:  Pass 5 yds. Pass 16 yds.(1st Dn). Pass 7 yds. Pass 4yds. (1st Dn). Pass Inc. 46 yd FG. 

Im not commenting on Bubba’s style one way or the other, but these are the second half plays. 3 key penalties and a terrible Interception slowed us down. Other than the 3 runs before the missed FG,  I don’t see us going into a shell.  Pretty good mix of run pass. If we clean up those unforced errors,  I don’t think this game is close. We need to get better but there were a lot of positives. 

Thanks for the analysis - here's what I see - and I would include the series right before half - the one where we took a knee.  - As I count this we had 10 first down plays before the final drive.  Of those we ran on first down 6 times results in yards: -1, 5, 2, 0, 0, 1. When the game started to get interesting (series 4,5,and 6) we ran all three times on first down for a total of 1 yard for all 3 plays.  Up until the very nice last drive our longest play that was not called back was 10 yards.  Included in the passing attempts are 2nd and 8, 2nd and 10, 3rd and 5, 2nd and 9, 3rd and 14.  Although we had a mix of pass and run plays we kept no one off balance and were usually second and third and long.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, homer said:

You have said before UND doesn’t have D1 athletes but now say they play down to their competition, which is it? 

I also challenge you to go back and look at the play by play charts from the game and see if the run/pass ratio changed.  I’ll save you the time, it didn’t.  Also, rewatch the game and you will see that the plays were there, just didn’t execute.  I am confident however that the coaching staff will coach players up on that and we will continue to see improvement on our offense as we have the same QB running it the third week in a row.  

Run/Pass Ratio? That’s what you’re getting caught up on? Meh

First of all, UND still needs to get better athletes. Barely hanging on and winning 38-36 at home against a banged up UC Davis isn’t going to change my mind on that.

How many plays over 20 yards has UND’s offense had? Not nearly enough. 

Second of all, UND was far more aggressive in the first half of the game and took the foot off the gas in the second half. UND ran WR passes, Brock Boltmann ran it in the first half, play action TE crossing routes, multiple screens to Cam McKinney, etc. in the first half that were cut out in the second half. You can defend the situation all you want but UND still has some identity issues going on that will continue to limit their success until they figure it out. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

You make a valid point.  I think it went something like this:

1st series: pass 21 yds. Called back lineman downfield. Pass 9yds. Run 1 yd. pass 10 yds. (1st Dn). Run (Cam) -1. Pass Inc. Sack. Punt. Pass/Run 5/2. 

2nd Series: (after turnover). Run 5yds. Run 8 yds. (td). 

3rd series:  Pass 6 yds. Pass 2 yds. QB run 6 yds. (1st Dn). Run 2yds. Pass 5yds. Pass to Boltmann Inc. Punt

4th Series:  Run no gain. Pass 5 yds. Pass Int.  

5th series: Run no gain. Run 2 yds. Run. NG. Missed FG. (This is the 3 run series most of us were frustrated with)

6th Series:  Run 1yd. Pass 9 yds (holding penalty). Run 1yd. Pass. Inc. punt

7th series:  Pass 4 yds. Pass Inc.  Pass Inc

punt

Last series:  Pass 5 yds. Pass 16 yds.(1st Dn). Pass 7 yds. Pass 4yds. (1st Dn). Pass Inc. 46 yd FG. 

Im not commenting on Bubba’s style one way or the other, but these are the second half plays. 3 key penalties and a terrible Interception slowed us down. Other than the 3 runs before the missed FG,  I don’t see us going into a shell.  Pretty good mix of run pass. If we clean up those unforced errors,  I don’t think this game is close. We need to get better but there were a lot of positives. 

Very good analysis in terms of run/pass.

I do think the issue is more mindset/philosophy based rather than just run/pass. The types of plays called changed quite a bit in the second half. Also, the drive before halftime was really quite telling what UND was thinking philosophically. Based on how close the game got, I can’t say Bubba made the right decision there. You need to get points anytime you can get them.

I absolutely agree, though, on penalities and turnovers. Always the two biggest factors in these games. If UND is more disciplined and Ketteringham doesn’t have that interception, the game is probably won much more handily rather than by only 2 points. 

Work to be done. Bubba needs to continue to stress ball protection and discipline while also maintaining aggressive play. I did not like the overall feel to the play calls in the second half. The first half was very well done (kudos to Freund) minus the drive before halftime  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Run/Pass Ratio? That’s what you’re getting caught up on? Meh

First of all, UND still needs to get better athletes. Barely hanging on and winning 38-36 at home against a banged up UC Davis isn’t going to change my mind on that.

How many plays over 20 yards has UND’s offense had? Not nearly enough. 

Second of all, UND was far more aggressive in the first half of the game and took the foot off the gas in the second half. UND ran WR passes, Brock Boltmann ran it in the first half, play action TE crossing routes, multiple screens to Cam McKinney, etc. in the first half that were cut out in the second half. You can defend the situation all you want but UND still has some identity issues going on that will continue to limit their success until they figure it out. 

I’m actually going with the play calling didn’t change if you rewatch the game. Plays were there.  Just need to execute. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

So our athletes are not up to par and our coaching is bad overall yet we have defeated two ranked team in the last month. We went 3-2 in what most FCS “experts” said before the season was a crazy tough stretch of schedule.  How many FCS team would have gone 4-1 or 5-0 in that stretch?  2 teams?  Maybe 3 or 4?

Could the roster use an upgrade in a spot or two?  Of course, which roster couldn’t.  Are there some coaching problems that are less than perfect?  Yes.  But remember we have played with 3 different qbs during this stretch and in one of the losses the qb had 5 turnovers on the road in miserable conditions and we still had a chance in the 4th qtr.

UND has exceeded many peoples expectations to this point as far as W/L, I predicted a 2-3 record at this point for you guys.

But, I would push back on your thought that only 3-4 teams would have a 4-1 or better record with your schedule. I think there are many FCS teams that if they played your exact schedule would be  4-1 right now. We’ll never know for sure I suppose, but that EWU loss is a rough one given how their season is playing out. I think many teams in the FCS right now win that one and are 4-1 with your schedule.

10 hours ago, Irish said:

Thanks for the analysis - here's what I see - and I would include the series right before half - the one where we took a knee.  - As I count this we had 10 first down plays before the final drive.  Of those we ran on first down 6 times results in yards: -1, 5, 2, 0, 0, 1. When the game started to get interesting (series 4,5,and 6) we ran all three times on first down for a total of 1 yard for all 3 plays.  Up until the very nice last drive our longest play that was not called back was 10 yards.  Included in the passing attempts are 2nd and 8, 2nd and 10, 3rd and 5, 2nd and 9, 3rd and 14.  Although we had a mix of pass and run plays we kept no one off balance and were usually second and third and long.  

Good points. Don’t forget,  that series started with a false start penalty on a wide receiver. I think we were going to pass on 1st down. Those first 2 runs got us 31 yds. I didn’t like last run but I assume they were hoping Cam could make a big play with his speed. Again penalty makes a difference. The 2 series I didn’t like was QB keeper on 4th and short and the 3 run series before missed FG. 

7 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Bubba admitted they sometimes go conservative when they have the lead to not give the other team momentum.

Some call that a good football strategy, some call it playing not to lose.

I understand the concept, but in doing so he often kills his own momentum, and he tends to put that theory into effect when the game is still fairly close. UND could not break that two score lead this past weekend, be a little more aggressive and stretch it to a 3 TD game and you really start to take the opponent out of the game.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

UND has exceeded many peoples expectations to this point as far as W/L, I predicted a 2-3 record at this point for you guys.

But, I would push back on your thought that only 3-4 teams would have a 4-1 or better record with your schedule. I think there are many FCS teams that if they played your exact schedule would be  4-1 right now. We’ll never know for sure I suppose, but that EWU loss is a rough one given how their season is playing out. I think many teams in the FCS right now win that one and are 4-1 with your schedule.

Thanks for the input. Let's go with only 3 or 4 FCS teams wouldn't be at least 4-1 and we'll go from there. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Bubba admitted they sometimes go conservative when they have the lead to not give the other team momentum.

Some call that a good football strategy, some call it playing not to lose.

If this was the mid-2000s, I could see using that strategy, but our defense isn't good enough to stop most teams for an entire half when they start pushing downfield in tempo.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

What ever happened to Sammy Fort?

He was supposedly our best recruit this off-season, but I haven't noticed him once yet?

True freshman at a position we're looking fairly strong at right now.  I'd say it's a good thing he may be able to retain the redshirt.

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

True freshman at a position we're looking fairly strong at right now.  I'd say it's a good thing he may be able to retain the redshirt.

The weekly PDF isn't out yet for Idaho State, but they do keep track of who plays in each game. Fort played in the first 4 games going into Davis. It's possible they shut him down, but probably unlikely. This one bothers me, given that Odom would have been just fine on the 2-deep. Of course, we don't know if this was also a players choice, but this potentially is about as bad of burning a redshirt as I can remember. 

12 minutes ago, AJS said:

Thanks for the input. Let's go with only 3 or 4 FCS teams wouldn't be at least 4-1 and we'll go from there. 

Not sure I’m following. Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me. Sarcasm, if that’s what’s happening, doesn’t come through very well on message boards.

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Not sure I’m following. Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me. Sarcasm, if that’s what’s happening, doesn’t come through very well on message boards.

Not sure what he was saying either.  IMO, there would only be about 10 teams that could/would be 4-1 with our schedule.  Rip Davis all you want but they would light up alot of teams that don't have the athletes to keep up.  Bison fans were praising the hell out of them 2.5 weeks ago.  

To be 3-2 is just fine with me considering where we are at as a program.  Do I wish it was better - yep.  But its reality.  

• Upvote 2