SiouxSports.com Forum

UC Davis game day

90siouxfan

UND needs to play way better in 2nd half.

I am disappointed in how conservative Bubba Schweigert is. His coaching style is holding back this team.

EXAMPLE: UND has offensive momentum in first half with timeouts but goes into half without even trying for points. Then, sure enough, offense struggles to score the entire second half and it’s obvious Ketteringham lost all momentum and feel good.

Special teams did enough to win with big kick, but also screwed up with poor fake punt coverage and missed field goal.

Defense was a mixed bag. Played well on some plays and made turnovers, also gave up a bunch of 3rd and 4th down conversations.

Not a perfect game by any stretch. UND should’ve won by more, but at least they won. There is a lot of work to do. And I am skeptical of UND’s leadership aka head man....

15 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Bubba squeaked by on this one and lives to see another day. I am not sure if that is good or bad. 

Bubba did not. This team won in spite of coaching, not because of it. I would absolutely take the Davis coach, loved the aggressive calls. The guys plays to win the game.

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

The 3 and out after the big Siegel int return was some of the worst coaching I have ever seen. Giant momentum swing, a chance to put the game away, and the coaches killed their own momentum. Completely unacceptable. How Bubba cannot see the need for a change in his mentality is what will get him canned, hopefully sooner than later.

Bubba has shown that he is totally incapable of introspection, change, or learning.  If we keep him this is exactly what we will get until the end of time.

14 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Holy !@#$ some of you need to step back from the ledge. Absolutely embarrassing. The team gutted it out and everyone should be proud of that. Yes, we could have done some things better...but they could have as well. Enjoy the win and look for some improvement next week.

The team did, but the abysmal coaching almost cost them.

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

The 3 and out after the big Siegel int return was some of the worst coaching I have ever seen. Giant momentum swing, a chance to put the game away, and the coaches killed their own momentum. Completely unacceptable. How Bubba cannot see the need for a change in his mentality is what will get him canned, hopefully sooner than later.

I agree completely. Bubba holds back his players and teams. The defense forced big time turnovers and yet the offense didn’t capitalize due to lack of aggressive play in second half. And actually, UND started to pull back on the reins at the end of the 1st half.

Just disappointing overall coaching philosophy by Bubba  ... 

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

That was the dumbest drive I’ve seen since..... last year. Go super conservative so our all American kicker can knock one in from mid range? Seems plausible.

With #8s two possessions prior to that one, I’m not sure I throw it either.  He was a head case at that point.  

Maybe should have run a play or two with BB at QB there.  

Player missed a FG there that we should expect they make.  

14 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Holy !@#$ some of you need to step back from the ledge. Absolutely embarrassing. The team gutted it out and everyone should be proud of that. Yes, we could have done some things better...but they could have as well. Enjoy the win and look for some improvement next week.

"Gutting" out a win you shouldn't of had to is nothing to be thrilled about. The inconsistencies and mistakes week to week and year to year are frustrating. The fake punt and the play calling leading to a missed field goal after the INT are just two of the things that really stick out. They had opportunities to really step on UCD's throat and failed. Could of cost them a big win. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

"Gutting" out a win you shouldn't of had to is nothing to be thrilled about. The inconsistencies and mistakes week to week and year to year are frustrating. The fake punt and the play calling leading to a missed field goal after the INT are just two of the things that really stick out. They had opportunities to really step on UCD's throat and failed. Could of cost them a big win. 

#8 was a mess after the pick.  Basing it off his previous 5 throws, I don’t think I throw it there either.  Up 10 with 5 minutes left isn’t a bad spot to be

27 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Bubba did not. This team won in spite of coaching, not because of it. I would absolutely take the Davis coach, loved the aggressive calls. The guys plays to win the game.

It is a little easier with an All American at quarterback.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, homer said:

With #8s two possessions prior to that one, I’m not sure I throw it either.  He was a head case at that point.  

Maybe should have run a play or two with BB at QB there.  

Player missed a FG there that we should expect they make.  

Any sign of life would have been appreciated.