SiouxSports.com Forum

UC Davis game day

90siouxfan

1 hour ago, RobThomas said:

Longtime fan looking why do you think McKinney isn't getting reps. It just seems like it's something more to his lack of touches. Think it's personal?

It's probably because he hasn't blown the top off anything or made anyone miss. 

3 hours ago, RobThomas said:

Longtime fan looking why do you think McKinney isn't getting reps. It just seems like it's something more to his lack of touches. Think it's personal?

Did he not get enough you he’s that last two games? How many is enough? Still waiting for him to make a game breaking play.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

After sewing this video we’re very fortunate Leech made that kick. The hold was not good at all. Laces pointed back at the kicker and off to the side a bit. That makes a huge difference on ball flight.

We were fortunate, in the end, gave us the win.
Our defense stopped the opposing teams final potential winning drive two home games in a row.
Imagine this board if that kick would of ???

Few random comments.  Great team win.  Rewatched part of game this morning. 

1. Noticed on play Boltmann was looking to throw (then ran for nice gain) he had his right glove off.  Something opposing defenses could potentially key on down the stretch for a read run/pass.  Not sure if it'll ever matter, just an observation.  Love the way he's played/been utilized so far.  Also shows the value of recruiting HS QB's, they are usually one of the best athletes on their teams so if they can't stick at QB they probably can contribute at other positions.

2. Good bounce back game from Nate, did enough to get us a Win.  Hope to see that kind of play continue/improve.

3. Was kind of disappointed with the last drive of the 1st half.  We get the ball at the 18 with 1:24 left and 2 timeouts.  UC Davis had 3 timeouts so I understand why we ran the ball first two plays.  But after two very nice runs by JJ, we call timeout with 24 seconds left at the 44 yard line.  At that point I'm thinking you need to try for some points.  Instead we give it to Mckinney and allow clock to run out.  We had them backpedaling, offense was clicking, points on that drive really could have took the wind out of their sails.

4.  Leach WOW, Peterson Woof.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

1. Noticed on play Boltmann was looking to throw (then ran for nice gain) he had his right glove off.  Something opposing defenses could potentially key on down the stretch for a read run/pass.  Not sure if it'll ever matter, just an observation.  Love the way he's played/been utilized so far.  Also shows the value of recruiting HS QB's, they are usually one of the best athletes on their teams so if they can't stick at QB they probably can contribute at other positions.

2. Good bounce back game from Nate, did enough to get us a Win.  Hope to see that kind of play continue/improve.

3. Was kind of disappointed with the last drive of the 1st half.  We get the ball at the 18 with 1:24 left and 2 timeouts.  UC Davis had 3 timeouts so I understand why we ran the ball first two plays.  But after two very nice runs by JJ, we call timeout with 24 seconds left at the 44 yard line.  At that point I'm thinking you need to try for some points.  Instead we give it to Mckinney and allow clock to run out.  We had them backpedaling, offense was clicking, points on that drive really could have took the wind out of their sails.

He also could mess with the defense and take his right glove off on a called run just to keep them guessing.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

Doesn’t he have the glove off every time he’s behind center?

9 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

Going in up 17 at half vs 14 would have been big.  Hoping it’s part of the continued growth of Danny at OC a situation that’s different the next time it’s presented.  

I have very minimum confidence in this team mostly because of the coaching staff. I hope I will see some adjustments and mood adjustments this coming week. As in I hope the coaches show a glimmer of having balls and let loose a little bit. I've never seen a team work so hard to lose after being handed dagger oppurtunities 15 times and still barely sealing it with a shaky kicker. 

#1 top priority for the upcoming week ---  I hope to god they let some other players practice punting the ball to see what other options they have. I legitimately know I could personally catch, release and punt faster and further than that kid, and more consistently as well. His average was under 30 yards last week, and had 1 very very untimely shank. That's a complete joke even at the AAA high school varsity level. Comon'

53 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

Makes one wonder, was Danny calling the shots and going for points (the timeout) and Bubba stepped in with his patented "let's not get crazy here"....

• Upvote 1

A lot of people have focused on the last possession  as a poor way to end the first half.  I don't think I've read one poster who's opinion was that they should have done what they ended up doing.  I'm not saying that I disagree, but I have examined the scenario in my mind and do want to offer a few thoughts.

-Why was Bubba nervous about giving the other team momentum?  Did he not have confidence in the offense to keep moving down the field?  Did he not have confidence that the offense could prevent a turnover?  Or is it that he had confidence in those things, but just wanted to take a conservative approach?  Is the risk of gaining 3 or 7 more points worth giving up 3 or 7 points?  How upset would everyone would have been had our lead been less than 14 points given the situation?  I think this would be the soundest reason to do what we did.

-UCD seemed content to go to the locker room down by 14 and try to regroup.  Perhaps all the more reason for UND to try to force them into submission.  But in theory, UCD could have called time outs to force UND to make a play, and they didn't.  Seemed like both sides were happy to call it a half.  Perhaps this is what rubs people the wrong way - that we let an opponent leave the field on their terms.

Hard to say what the best approach was.

• Upvote 1