SiouxSports.com Forum

UC Davis game day

90siouxfan

9 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Not sure I’m following. Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me. Sarcasm, if that’s what’s happening, doesn’t come through very well on message boards.

It was sarcasm, although I do agree that more than 3 or 4 would have a 4-1 record, I took (most likely too much offense) to the word many. Who knows, you could be right and many is a subjective amount, but I could see your comment coming one of the 4 NDSU fans that post here coming from a mile away. We get it, every team UND beats sucks, it gets old hearing it over and over.  

• Upvote 2

I'm not going to waste time going through this thread looking to see if someone has talked about it but are they not producing highlight clips of the games anymore. All I have seen from the UND athletics fb page are highlights of the Eastern Wash and Drake game???? I remember in past years they would have something produced 3 hours after the game....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Not sure what he was saying either.  IMO, there would only be about 10 teams that could/would be 4-1 with our schedule.  Rip Davis all you want but they would light up alot of teams that don't have the athletes to keep up.  Bison fans were praising the hell out of them 2.5 weeks ago.  

To be 3-2 is just fine with me considering where we are at as a program.  Do I wish it was better - yep.  But its reality.  

I agree, 3-2 is a nice record given the schedule, as I said I predicted 2-3 through that stretch.

You’re right, Davis looked like a solid team against us, but hasn’t lived up to the team they looked like in the Fargodome. I don’t follow them close enough to know if there is some explanation for their recent missteps or if the competition They’ve faced(UND included, obviously) has been solid and made them look bad. 

7 minutes ago, ibleedgreen said:

I'm not going to waste time going through this thread looking to see if someone has talked about it but are they not producing highlight clips of the games anymore. All I have seen from the UND athletics fb page are highlights of the Eastern Wash and Drake game???? I remember in past years they would have something produced 3 hours after the game....

It was posted a few hours after the game was over:

40 minutes ago, AJS said:

The weekly PDF isn't out yet for Idaho State, but they do keep track of who plays in each game. Fort played in the first 4 games going into Davis. It's possible they shut him down, but probably unlikely. This one bothers me, given that Odom would have been just fine on the 2-deep. Of course, we don't know if this was also a players choice, but this potentially is about as bad of burning a redshirt as I can remember. 

Ah that's disappointing.  Is he mostly just getting in on special teams?  If he's out there in coverage, maybe it's a good thing we're not noticing him?

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Bubba admitted they sometimes go conservative when they have the lead to not give the other team momentum.

Some call that a good football strategy, some call it playing not to lose.

But when we can’t flip the field with our punting especially against a team that has proven they can move the ball, that can create momentum for the other team. I don’t think we were ever in a position to go conservative until the last possession at the end of the game. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

But when we can’t flip the field with our punting especially against a team that has proven they can move the ball, that can create momentum for the other team. I don’t think we were ever in a position to go conservative until the last possession at the end of the game. 

Going conservative literally hands the other team momentum. Unless we are able to get 4ypc when they know it’s coming and sprinkle in pa pass, which we can’t do this year at all when the other team is keying on the run.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"If this was the mid-2000s, I could see using that strategy, but our defense isn't good enough to stop most teams for an entire half when they start pushing downfield in tempo."

"But when we can’t flip the field with our punting especially against a team that has proven they can move the ball, that can create momentum for the other team. I don’t think we were ever in a position to go conservative until the last possession at the end of the game." 

I think these two statements are the most telling of anything that's been written about this year's team. Until these statements are no longer true, a conservative, "Flip the field" offense prove in effective.  The good thing is that our offense, when properly utilized, can keep up with most teams.  Offense is the best defense we have right now.

36 minutes ago, Dustin said:

"If this was the mid-2000s, I could see using that strategy, but our defense isn't good enough to stop most teams for an entire half when they start pushing downfield in tempo."

"But when we can’t flip the field with our punting especially against a team that has proven they can move the ball, that can create momentum for the other team. I don’t think we were ever in a position to go conservative until the last possession at the end of the game." 

I think these two statements are the most telling of anything that's been written about this year's team. Until these statements are no longer true, a conservative, "Flip the field" offense prove in effective.  The good thing is that our offense, when properly utilized, can keep up with most teams.  Offense is the best defense we have right now.

It's an unwillingness or inability of the current coaching staff (i.e. the head coach) to adapt to the talent that is on the roster.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

So our athletes are not up to par and our coaching is bad overall yet we have defeated two ranked team in the last month. We went 3-2 in what most FCS “experts” said before the season was a crazy tough stretch of schedule.  How many FCS team would have gone 4-1 or 5-0 in that stretch?  2 teams?  Maybe 3 or 4?

Could the roster use an upgrade in a spot or two?  Of course, which roster couldn’t.  Are there some coaching problems that are less than perfect?  Yes.  But remember we have played with 3 different qbs during this stretch and in one of the losses the qb had 5 turnovers on the road in miserable conditions and we still had a chance in the 4th qtr.

There is a lot of work to do. I’m not crowning this UND football team quite yet. I am happy they have two ranked wins and a winning record, obviously. BUT, alternatively, they haven’t play a complete 4-quarter game yet or won on the road. You may call it pessimism, but I call it constructive criticism. 

UND needs to continue to improve throughout the season, day by day if you will, or else they will miss the playoffs. Missing the playoffs would be considered an epic failure since Bubba has only been there once in 5 seasons thus far.  

A 17% (1 in 6) playoff rate is fireable in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

With how UND had the momentum in the first half (admitted by UC Davis coach in postgame interview), it really is evident Bubba screwed up that decision. 

UND is not in a place where they can go conservative when up only two scores in the first half. They need to convince others. It is the reality of college football with polls. Although UND is 3-2 with two ranked wins, UND remains disrespected around the country as an unranked team with SHSU and UC Davis both ahead of UND.

2point and 4-point home wins are not good enough. Sure, you may make the argument that a win is a win, but I counter-argue that it is foreshadowing and setting UND up for inevitable collapse and choke jobs down the stretch run. UND will lose games they should win - per usual under the Bubba regime - if they continue to be too conservative. This current UND team doesn’t have a good enough running game for that. 

20 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

It's an unwillingness or inability of the current coaching staff (i.e. the head coach) to adapt to the talent that is on the roster.

Spot on. UND is where they are because of Danny Freund, not Bubba. Danny drew up enough plays to win with a 3rd string QB against Sam Houston and put on a first half show against UC Davis. 

Bubba’s philosophy has held the team back.

UND does not yet have the players (offensive line, running backs) to line up and run downhill in order to run out the clock.  UND needs to stay aggressive to win games with its current roster. Recruit better players, and this may change. UND is certainly not NDSU where they can line up in 22 personnel and bludgeon teams into submission. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

For someone who doesn't have a clue on who is actually making what calls and decisions in regards to philosophy/personnel/play calling/etc before even factoring in player execution as part of the equation, you seem to assign a lot of blame. 

We get it, you aren't satisfied. Not sure if anything short of what has happened 75 miles south would get you there. You think things could have been done differently, which is easy to do when you have the benefit of hindsight and no proof on how your decision would have played out, good or bad. Even when you are presented with facts that show your observations aren't exactly accurate, you're dismissive of it and continue on with your own narrative. 

Everyone on this board wants the same thing, for UND to succeed. It is on the staff to evaluate and learn. The fans are allowed to be happy. Trying to enjoy being 3-2 after the opening stretch of games UND just went through isn't a crime, even if there is room for improvement, which I don't think I've seen anyone deny. But continuously spending time ripping on the staff and/or players and ignoring that maybe the teams UND plays aren't half bad seems like a lot of wasted energy. The team and coaches aren't perfect. Mistakes will be made. But there will also be a lot of things that will go right. It's OK to let some of the mistakes go, hope they learn from it and enjoy the things that have went right, especially when the game ends in UND's favor.

Your write-up is centered around expectations with an added swipe at my comprehension and background knowledge. Novel.

Glad you are so easily satisfied with where UND is at. It is not good for UND football, though, to have such appeasable fans/supporters.

Not sure why my opinion that playoffs 1 out of 5 seasons is unacceptable would be met with such harsh reaction. 

Perhaps YOUR narrative that I don't "have a clue" is misdirected and false. Never once did I state everyone should be angry and upset. I have clearly stated I am happy that UND has a winning record at 3-2 with 2 wins against ranked opponents; however, I have also mentioned areas of concern. Some on this fan board are too jolly to even consider criticism following a win; is that your concealed issue right now? 

Summary:

Positives - UND has a winning record and 2 wins versus ranked opponents

Negatives - wins versus ranked opponents have been close and UND has yet to win on the road. 

Pretty straight forward. So, in short, there are positives and in fact things to be satisfied with.

I won't apologize for you simply not understanding my stance and having to instead waste time and energy on writing a post directed towards my assessment. I highly doubt your position is such that I should envy your thoughts and opinions and thus "stand down". 

GO UND

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

For someone who doesn't have a clue on who is actually making what calls and decisions in regards to philosophy/personnel/play calling/etc before even factoring in player execution as part of the equation, you seem to assign a lot of blame. 

We get it, you aren't satisfied. Not sure if anything short of what has happened 75 miles south would get you there. You think things could have been done differently, which is easy to do when you have the benefit of hindsight and no proof on how your decision would have played out, good or bad. Even when you are presented with facts that show your observations aren't exactly accurate, you're dismissive of it and continue on with your own narrative. 

Everyone on this board wants the same thing, for UND to succeed. It is on the staff to evaluate and learn. The fans are allowed to be happy. Trying to enjoy being 3-2 after the opening stretch of games UND just went through isn't a crime, even if there is room for improvement, which I don't think I've seen anyone deny. But continuously spending time ripping on the staff and/or players and ignoring that maybe the teams UND plays aren't half bad seems like a lot of wasted energy. The team and coaches aren't perfect. Mistakes will be made. But there will also be a lot of things that will go right. It's OK to let some of the mistakes go, hope they learn from it and enjoy the things that have went right, especially when the game ends in UND's favor.

The frustration for some of us is that in our opinion, based on in-game decisions, the head coach has demonstrated very little ability to evaluate, learn, and adapt.   

40 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Glad you are so easily satisfied with where UND is at. It is not good for UND football, though, to have such appeasable fans/supporters.

Again, you continue to confuse optimism and enjoyment for satisfaction. I specifically stated not a single person has said things were perfect. No one argues there are plenty of things to improve on. That doesn't mean people can't be optimistic or enjoy what the team has done so far, especially after a big win. Any mention of positivity gets met with a wall of negativity on how the team/coaches/players are lucky, untalented, incapable, etc. 

• Upvote 3

I think we need the 24 hour rule on this board after a game

enjoy the past game for 24 hours then move on to the next game

win or lose doesn’t affect anyone on this board unless you are dumb enough to bet on games

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Again, you continue to confuse optimism and enjoyment for satisfaction. I specifically stated not a single person has said things were perfect. No one argues there are plenty of things to improve on. That doesn't mean people can't be optimistic or enjoy what the team has done so far, especially after a big win. Any mention of positivity gets met with a wall of negativity on how the team/coaches/players are lucky, untalented, incapable, etc. 

Enjoy the positives. Enjoy the win. I have. The fact is, as you alluded to, there are negatives too and this is reality. Be optimistic and have fun as you wish. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Didn’t we just score 38 points?

how many points do we need so that folks are happy?

The UND offense was very good in the first half. A lot of credit to the offensive players and Danny Freund. The defense actually may have had the weakest performance (obviously as they gave up 36 points) but it is a team game and the 3 and outs by the offense in the second half and missed field goal are also huge factors to the 2nd half going the way it did. 

UND needs to find a way to put together a full 4 quarter game. When they do, watch out.