SiouxSports.com Forum

UC Davis game day

90siouxfan

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Offensively we played well. We averaged over 5yds per carry. JJ seemed to pick his spots to be patient and find the seem and otherwise power for 1-3 yds. He also did a nice job of pass  protection. Ket has a good game. He got to his reads quicker and he and RBs did great with their play fakes which gained some time for our receivers. He put the ball in some tight spots and scrambled out of trouble a number of times for some nice gains. He made a big mistake on the int. Weak pass needs to be out of bounds. It’s obvious why he started. Receivers only dropped 1 that I can recall. They did a nice job. One false start. Penalties hurt us more than play calling in second half. Lineman downfield and holding by WR stopped 2 nice drives.  Look at play by play in second half and we were still doing run pass mix similar to first half. We overcame a number of penalties on our successful drives. They stopped us in second half. I didn’t like QB carry on 4th and short. JJ was picking up 1-3 yds when it looked like he didn’t have running room. Big mistake in 4th quarter to run straight ahead 3 times then try field goal. Defense did decent against run. Pass dec challenged by All American QB. He stuck ball into tight spots with decent coverage a number of times. Problems were no pressure on QB and missed assignments leaving receivers wide open too often. They dropped 4-5 balls by wide open receivers.  They catch those, it may have been different. Special team problems continue with poor punting and inconsistent kicking. KO coverage, punt coverage, and no punt blocks all decent. Our KO return was decent. We didn’t have much opportunity to return punts. (They averaged 53 yds per punt). Exciting, entertaining game against ranked opponent with an All  American QB is a good day. Hundreds of empty seats above concourse level between the 30’s. Considering the weather, student attendance fair. The kids who came and stayed for second half stayed in game. 

Ket and oline play like this, we clean up penalties and missed assignments this team can win any remaining games on the schedule. 

Good analysis.  I agree.

3 hours ago, homer said:

Thank you.  I have been trying to say this since the game ended yesterday and rewatched it again this morning.  Also will be some spots on tape where Kett will see UC Davis was jumping the sideline stuff and a check to WR2 or 3 would have resulted in nice gains.  I’m confident Danny will coach him up on that and he will get even more comfortable next week.  

Where did you rewatch it?  I missed the final couple of minutes.

6 hours ago, CMSioux said:

I think it is idiotic for our fans to jaw our players directly during a game.

I couldn't agree more with this.  Nate make a mistake he knows it,  he doesn't need the fan base telling him about it.  Save that stuff for the other teams Qb and support ours.  He is working his a$$ off and wants same as all of us, to win.  I'm sure no one is harder on him than himself.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I couldn't agree more with this.  Nate make a mistake he knows it,  he doesn't need the fan base telling him about it.  Save that stuff for the other teams Qb and support ours.  He is working his a$$ off and wants same as all of us, to win.  I'm sure no one is harder on him than himself.  

I was standing on the rail on that end. This happened the very next series after he scrambled around towards the end zone and threw a ball up for grabs that was picked off.  Defense bails us out and on the very next possession he basically does the same thing again minus throwing it up for grabs so not sure about it being a learning experience when it was literally not even 2 minutes of game time later. 

That said, I agree, no reason to get on our kids. I was near the goalpost but I heard several fans screaming "throw the ball away"  and "get rid of it" during and after the play and he looked up in their direction and appeared to say something.

14 hours ago, petey23 said:

I was standing on the rail on that end. This happened the very next series after he scrambled around towards the end zone and threw a ball up for grabs that was picked off.  Defense bails us out and on the very next possession he basically does the same thing again minus throwing it up for grabs so not sure about it being a learning experience when it was literally not even 2 minutes of game time later. 

And this is why at the time I had zero problem with what we thought were three straight run plays to settle for what should be a chip shot 37 us FG to go up 10 with 5 minutes left.  Nate had played a fantastic game up to those two drives and for whatever reason got happy feet. 

He 100% made up for it on the last drive and took what they were giving him.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, petey23 said:

That said, I agree, no reason to get on our kids. I was near the goalpost but I heard several fans screaming "throw the ball away"  and "get rid of it" during and after the play and he looked up in their direction and appeared to say something.

I definitely agree with this point to an extent.  Verbally attacking these student athletes with derogatory language or with personal attacks is absolutely uncalled for.  But if fans were merely yelling to Kett to "Throw the ball away" and "Get rid of it" I see nothing at all wrong with it.  If Kett is bothered by it, good.  It means that he hears it and hopefully will not make that mistake next time.  I jet these players are college students.  But if a 22 year old "kid" should be able to take a little criticism, even from his own fanbase.  I am sure much worse was said to him last week by the student section in Cheney after throwing 3 picks and a fumble. 

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I definitely agree with this point to an extent.  Verbally attacking these student athletes with derogatory language or with personal attacks is absolutely uncalled for.  But if fans were merely yelling to Kett to "Throw the ball away" and "Get rid of it" I see nothing at all wrong with it.  If Kett is bothered by it, good.  It means that he hears it and hopefully will not make that mistake next time.  I jet these players are college students.  But if a 22 year old "kid" should be able to take a little criticism, even from his own fanbase.  I am sure much worse was said to him last week by the student section in Cheney after throwing 3 picks and a fumble. 

What concerns me is "rabbitears"   need to keep your head in the game.

• Upvote 1

ok after some time to digest the game, here are my takeaway, because I was definitely way more frustrated that I would have expected after a win against a solid ranked opponent.

- a tale of two halves; Is this on the players lack of execution in the 2nd half, or the coaching staff making the wrong kind of adjustments? I tend to think it had more to do with the coach staff and the type of game they wanted to call. They were trying to force a run game that just wasn't going to work, and they were trying to do so without BB who to that point had been dominant. It is as though Bubba hits a certain lead, or number of points, and thinks its ok to ride it out. If you can score on them, and you can complete passes, then you better do so if you want to compete at this level.

-Had the coaches called a 2nd half the same as they did the 1st half, there would be no complaining, and way more excitement about the win.

-Kett had a nice first half, and for all the complaining against the guy, had some solid moments. He probably isn't going to go out and win you a bunch of games, but he can get the job done. That being said, you cannot scramble back 20 yards like he was doing, especially with how we have seen him fumble when he gets hit, that could be disastrous, and I hope to never ever see him under throw the ball when trying to throw it away. That was just embarrassing... almost as embarrassing as his hair cut. I hope to see another step forward from Kett this week, but the coach need to mix BB in more, and let him throw once in a while to keep that pass threat alive; wow does the kid have some wheels though.

- Who the hell was wearing Brady Leach's jersey at the end of the game? Couldn't have actually been him, could it? Seriously, I had not faith on a 45 yard kick under pressure, but did that kid ever get it done. Good for him and I really hope it is something he can build off of. I was hoping he would be amped up enough after that to boot one into the end zone, but for now I'll take the huge FG. Well done Brady!

- CJ Siegel, is a tremendous talent, and I really hope to see him continue his growth. Unless absolutely needed, I hope Evan can take a RS year and come back healthy and strong next season. Siegel, Fort, Holm, Blubaugh .... thats a dominant secondary.

Definitely looking forward to the game next weekend, but would nice to put a team away early. I am sick of screaming and yelling at my tv in the 4th quarter (and I know my wife is sick of it). Lets have a dominant game where we can get some back ups in for experience and all come away feeling good about beating the hell out of someone.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

ok after some time to digest the game, here are my takeaway, because I was definitely way more frustrated that I would have expected after a win against a solid ranked opponent.

- a tale of two halves; Is this on the players lack of execution in the 2nd half, or the coaching staff making the wrong kind of adjustments? I tend to think it had more to do with the coach staff and the type of game they wanted to call. They were trying to force a run game that just wasn't going to work, and they were trying to do so without BB who to that point had been dominant. It is as though Bubba hits a certain lead, or number of points, and thinks its ok to ride it out. If you can score on them, and you can complete passes, then you better do so if you want to compete at this level.

-Had the coaches called a 2nd half the same as they did the 1st half, there would be no complaining, and way more excitement about the win.

-Kett had a nice first half, and for all the complaining against the guy, had some solid moments. He probably isn't going to go out and win you a bunch of games, but he can get the job done. That being said, you cannot scramble back 20 yards like he was doing, especially with how we have seen him fumble when he gets hit, that could be disastrous, and I hope to never ever see him under throw the ball when trying to throw it away. That was just embarrassing... almost as embarrassing as his hair cut. I hope to see another step forward from Kett this week, but the coach need to mix BB in more, and let him throw once in a while to keep that pass threat alive; wow does the kid have some wheels though.

- Who the hell was wearing Brady Leach's jersey at the end of the game? Couldn't have actually been him, could it? Seriously, I had not faith on a 45 yard kick under pressure, but did that kid ever get it done. Good for him and I really hope it is something he can build off of. I was hoping he would be amped up enough after that to boot one into the end zone, but for now I'll take the huge FG. Well done Brady!

- CJ Siegel, is a tremendous talent, and I really hope to see him continue his growth. Unless absolutely needed, I hope Evan can take a RS year and come back healthy and strong next season. Siegel, Fort, Holm, Blubaugh .... thats a dominant secondary.

Definitely looking forward to the game next weekend, but would nice to put a team away early. I am sick of screaming and yelling at my tv in the 4th quarter (and I know my wife is sick of it). Lets have a dominant game where we can get some back ups in for experience and all come away feeling good about beating the hell out of someone.

C J reminds me a little bit of Deion.

6 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

And he's only a freshman.  That interception in the end zone was a big-time play.

I’m comparing to soph Deion since he didn’t red shirt. But he also had the game experience so that’s a factor as well. Either way cj is just as good as I hoped he would be.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

He so much better than soph Dieon though. Not even close.

Agreed. Deion got a lot of hype into his Junior year because of his size and ability to jump routes. A couple pick six's will get people excited. Tough to see that injury derail his senior year. Glad he could rehab and come back but never quite made it back to that Junior year level of play.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed. Deion got a lot of hype into his Junior year because of his size and ability to jump routes. A couple pick six's will get people excited. Tough to see that injury derail his senior year. Glad he could rehab and come back but never quite made it back to that Junior year level of play.

On the other hand he did sign as an NFL free agent and made Washington’s practice squad.