SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

2 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I thought penalty minutes were pretty high league wide. A lot of teams taking a lot of penalties. 

Probably so.  The smart teams adjust to rules enforcement, and that is where the old school hockey culture can  get in the way.

On 9/18/2019 at 9:30 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Tickets for the Gopher games(11/28, 11/29) at Mariucci go on sale Monday 9/23 at 9:00am.  Ticket prices range from $60 to $105.

https://gophersports.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=MHO-SG&linkID=uminn-athletics&shopperContext=&caller=appList&appCode=

Goofer tix on sale tomorrow morning. Planning first trip to the ‘john’. What end do the Sioux attack twice?

Anybody with insight?

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2019 at 5:04 PM, burd said:

Not surprising for a team with mediocre foot speed and talent.  I think there might also be a little old school hockey culture at UND that doesn't fit so well with modern rules enforcement.  That may well be BS.  I'm sure I'll hear about it.   

We actually had more power play opportunities than penalty kills although it is basically a wash...neither was elite. 14% success rate and 80% kill rate fall well below what I feel the goal should be which is for those numbers to add up to 105. If they were 20 and 85 that is 9 additional goals scored and 8 less goals allowed which changes your team win loss record by a few games which is huge when you can point to 1 game that has kept us out of the tournament the last 2 years.

Just got my tickets for down in MSP....shortest trip ever only 20 miles!!! Lots of tickets left which is sad.  Maybe that will teach the UM how to schedule.  I always thought this game should be played in Late Dec or Jan Or find away to have one game in MSP in the fall and one in GFK in Feb.  

19 minutes ago, johnsowe said:

Just got my tickets for down in MSP....shortest trip ever only 20 miles!!! Lots of tickets left which is sad.  Maybe that will teach the UM how to schedule.  I always thought this game should be played in Late Dec or Jan Or find away to have one game in MSP in the fall and one in GFK in Feb.  

Single game "series" is lame IMO. A Friday/Sunday series, which would have been the only other option in this situation, would be lame as well IMO(I think a lot of other fans share this sentiment). Minnesota was handcuffed by the football schedule with Wisconsin in town that weekend also. Parking, pregaming, etc would have been a disaster if they had tried hockey on that Saturday to go along with the football game. It is what it is. Thousands of people go to NFL games on Thanksgiving and millions of people watch on TV. I understand a fair number of people travel for Thanksgiving, but I still expect this to be a well attended series by both fansbases when it's all said and done. We'll see. I'll be there for both games.

So just curious, does anyone think this season is going to be critical for Berry? I don't want to be "that guy", but since winning the National Tourney,  he's had one post season in the tourney and then failed to appear in the last two national tournaments . Granted He hasn't had the reins very long but, UND has high expectations. Also with Hakstol in a assistant role in Toronto now I would argue that it wouldn't be hard for UND to attract Hakstol back to UND, granted the money might not be as good.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

So just curious, does anyone think this season is going to be critical for Berry? I don't want to be "that guy", but since winning the National Tourney,  he's had one post season in the tourney and then failed to appear in the last two national tournaments . Granted He hasn't had the reins very long but, UND has high expectations. Also with Hakstol in a assistant role in Toronto now I would argue that it wouldn't be hard for UND to attract Hakstol back to UND, granted the money might not be as good.

It should be - but I think it would take a disaster for him to be released.  I think this season is the most important one in quite some time.  We need to regain our status as a place where NHL type talent can go to develop their skills and move up.  Think Parise, Toews, Oshie, Boesser, and Schmaltz.  Now look at our forwards last season.  I'm not sure where things went off the rails, but we need to regain our status as the best program in the country. If we don't do it soon it could be a long dry spell.  And there is no reason why Duluth and St. Clown are more successful than us other than the occasional outlier season.  Time to get back on track.  If we have a mediocre season, I predict a lot of complaining, but not a lot will change for at least another year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irish said:

It should be - but I think it would take a disaster for him to be released.  I think this season is the most important one in quite some time.  We need to regain our status as a place where NHL type talent can go to develop their skills and move up.  Think Parise, Toews, Oshie, Boesser, and Schmaltz.  Now look at our forwards last season.  I'm not sure where things went off the rails, but we need to regain our status as the best program in the country. If we don't do it soon it could be a long dry spell.  And there is no reason why Duluth and St. Clown are more successful than us other than the occasional outlier season.  Time to get back on track.  If we have a mediocre season, I predict a lot of complaining, but not a lot will change for at least another year.

Not making the tourney again would be a disaster for this program. We will be better because of changes around the program but likely not where we should be. If our alumni, president, AD, and coach buy in to us being great we will.

A lot of that is recruiting budgets and salaries, but another is having an AD and head coach with the knowledge of how an elite program works: Intense recruiting, intense off season conditioning (we may be lacking here), technology, coaching, motivation etc.

I like Berry and would love it if he succeeded but he just now moved to morning practices because he saw it works at other schools, that’s good but he may be too far behind the curve and might not be the guy.  

I see how athletes train in weight rooms at elite programs and it’s insanely intense; and the mental toughness coaches instill into players is off the charts. Are we doing this? Maybe, but it’s seems to be maybe not. 

Coaching and training at that level is not for everyone. It truly takes an unusual individual to motivate athletes to literally skate into a wall or make a tackle at full speed on a kickoff.

I’d think commits to this program, maybe more than any other, expect to be pushed to their limits and become champions and have a shot at the NHL. It just takes the right people with the knowledge and ability to make that happen. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, CarpeRemote said:

Not making the tourney again would be a disaster for this program. We will be better because of changes around the program but likely not where we should be. If our alumni, president, AD, and coach buy in to us being great we will.

A lot of that is recruiting budgets and salaries, but another is having an AD and head coach with the knowledge of how an elite program works: Intense recruiting, intense off season conditioning (we may be lacking here), technology, coaching, motivation etc.

I like Berry and would love it if he succeeded but he just now moved to morning practices because he saw it works at other schools, that’s good but he may be too far behind the curve and might not be the guy.  

I see how athletes train in weight rooms at elite programs and it’s insanely intense; and the mental toughness coaches instill into players is off the charts. Are we doing this? Maybe, but it’s seems to be maybe not. 

Coaching and training at that level is not for everyone. It truly takes an unusual individual to motivate athletes to literally skate into a wall or make a tackle at full speed on a kickoff.

I’d think commits to this program, maybe more than any other, expect to be pushed to their limits and become champions and have a shot at the NHL. It just takes the right people with the knowledge and ability to make that happen. 

Morning practices isn’t the problem. Talent level has been the problem, and I think they have taken steps to correct that.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

It's more than just a talent level issue. Cannisius didn't have more talent on the ice than UND. 

Obviously, there are other factors, but you have someone that can put the puck in the net on the 50+ shots, and you beat that team.  

Scoring is really the only issue the last two years. In that role we had defects like Gropp and Gerlach, and players not pan out, like Wilkie, the Scandinavians, and (so far) Adams. Yon was clearly not going to be a scorer after Juniors, but that's what he was recruited to do.  

Hopefully our desperation for scoring doesn't force Pinto to step into a role he's not ready for. Weatherby and Hain can and should make big steps. Mismash needs to be consistent.  Our D and goaltending will be solid.

On 9/22/2019 at 4:04 PM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Thanks for the heads up, may be trying to move our thanksgiving down to my sister's place in Mpls so the whole family can go.

Do Sioux fans sit on the left or the right at Mariucci? I'm guessing it's the left since most are sold on that side???

1 hour ago, FightingSioux4 said:

Do Sioux fans sit on the left or the right at Mariucci? I'm guessing it's the left since most are sold on that side???

I'm not sure but I'm guessing left since it looked like the entire end on the right side of your computer screen were taken.  I'm assuming that was for student sections.

We got our tickets on the left end.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 5:04 PM, burd said:

On 9/20/2019 at 1:24 PM, Irish said:

According to the Heraldo, Karl will have responsibility for the power play.  That can only be a good thing.  A frustrating year last year, but it looks like Berry is making some changes that should show positive results.  If our returning forwards can take a positive step in development we should be back in the thick of things.  Can't wait until the season starts.

I was wondering- would Karl have a unique view of just what shots scare the opposing goalies the most?    

On 9/17/2019 at 10:40 PM, Wilbur said:

Team now practicing in the morning.  Had this been true when I was at UND it wouldn't have taken me three years to get into a Munski class......:glare:

:) I saw Munski in the hallway yesterday as I was walking to the class I teach in O'Kelly.  He gave me some Smarties.  :)