Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Frozen4sioux

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, burd said:

Not surprising for a team with mediocre foot speed and talent.  I think there might also be a little old school hockey culture at UND that doesn't fit so well with modern rules enforcement.  That may well be BS.  I'm sure I'll hear about it.   

I thought penalty minutes were pretty high league wide. A lot of teams taking a lot of penalties. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I thought penalty minutes were pretty high league wide. A lot of teams taking a lot of penalties. 

Probably so.  The smart teams adjust to rules enforcement, and that is where the old school hockey culture can  get in the way.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2019 at 9:30 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Tickets for the Gopher games(11/28, 11/29) at Mariucci go on sale Monday 9/23 at 9:00am.  Ticket prices range from $60 to $105.

https://gophersports.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=MHO-SG&linkID=uminn-athletics&shopperContext=&caller=appList&appCode=

Goofer tix on sale tomorrow morning. Planning first trip to the ‘john’. What end do the Sioux attack twice?

Anybody with insight?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tbone said:

Goofer tix on sale tomorrow morning. Planning first trip to the ‘john’. What end do the Sioux attack twice?

Anybody with insight?

Thanks for the heads up, may be trying to move our thanksgiving down to my sister's place in Mpls so the whole family can go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Siouxperior said:

Gopher tix now on sale. Plenty of seats to pick from for Thanksgiving and that Friday.

Plenty of seats available for Gopher hockey games???  Wow!!! What a shock!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 5:04 PM, burd said:

Not surprising for a team with mediocre foot speed and talent.  I think there might also be a little old school hockey culture at UND that doesn't fit so well with modern rules enforcement.  That may well be BS.  I'm sure I'll hear about it.   

We actually had more power play opportunities than penalty kills although it is basically a wash...neither was elite. 14% success rate and 80% kill rate fall well below what I feel the goal should be which is for those numbers to add up to 105. If they were 20 and 85 that is 9 additional goals scored and 8 less goals allowed which changes your team win loss record by a few games which is huge when you can point to 1 game that has kept us out of the tournament the last 2 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got my tickets for down in MSP....shortest trip ever only 20 miles!!! Lots of tickets left which is sad.  Maybe that will teach the UM how to schedule.  I always thought this game should be played in Late Dec or Jan Or find away to have one game in MSP in the fall and one in GFK in Feb.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, johnsowe said:

Just got my tickets for down in MSP....shortest trip ever only 20 miles!!! Lots of tickets left which is sad.  Maybe that will teach the UM how to schedule.  I always thought this game should be played in Late Dec or Jan Or find away to have one game in MSP in the fall and one in GFK in Feb.  

Single game "series" is lame IMO. A Friday/Sunday series, which would have been the only other option in this situation, would be lame as well IMO(I think a lot of other fans share this sentiment). Minnesota was handcuffed by the football schedule with Wisconsin in town that weekend also. Parking, pregaming, etc would have been a disaster if they had tried hockey on that Saturday to go along with the football game. It is what it is. Thousands of people go to NFL games on Thanksgiving and millions of people watch on TV. I understand a fair number of people travel for Thanksgiving, but I still expect this to be a well attended series by both fansbases when it's all said and done. We'll see. I'll be there for both games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wondering where the Sioux crowd stays when attending the games @ Mariucci? 

Not many options to stay close and walk. Downtown msp and Uber?

Plan on considerably raising my b.a.c. before/during/after so I will walk or Uber

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So just curious, does anyone think this season is going to be critical for Berry? I don't want to be "that guy", but since winning the National Tourney,  he's had one post season in the tourney and then failed to appear in the last two national tournaments . Granted He hasn't had the reins very long but, UND has high expectations. Also with Hakstol in a assistant role in Toronto now I would argue that it wouldn't be hard for UND to attract Hakstol back to UND, granted the money might not be as good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

So just curious, does anyone think this season is going to be critical for Berry? I don't want to be "that guy", but since winning the National Tourney,  he's had one post season in the tourney and then failed to appear in the last two national tournaments . Granted He hasn't had the reins very long but, UND has high expectations. Also with Hakstol in a assistant role in Toronto now I would argue that it wouldn't be hard for UND to attract Hakstol back to UND, granted the money might not be as good.

It should be - but I think it would take a disaster for him to be released.  I think this season is the most important one in quite some time.  We need to regain our status as a place where NHL type talent can go to develop their skills and move up.  Think Parise, Toews, Oshie, Boesser, and Schmaltz.  Now look at our forwards last season.  I'm not sure where things went off the rails, but we need to regain our status as the best program in the country. If we don't do it soon it could be a long dry spell.  And there is no reason why Duluth and St. Clown are more successful than us other than the occasional outlier season.  Time to get back on track.  If we have a mediocre season, I predict a lot of complaining, but not a lot will change for at least another year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Irish said:

It should be - but I think it would take a disaster for him to be released.  I think this season is the most important one in quite some time.  We need to regain our status as a place where NHL type talent can go to develop their skills and move up.  Think Parise, Toews, Oshie, Boesser, and Schmaltz.  Now look at our forwards last season.  I'm not sure where things went off the rails, but we need to regain our status as the best program in the country. If we don't do it soon it could be a long dry spell.  And there is no reason why Duluth and St. Clown are more successful than us other than the occasional outlier season.  Time to get back on track.  If we have a mediocre season, I predict a lot of complaining, but not a lot will change for at least another year.

Not making the tourney again would be a disaster for this program. We will be better because of changes around the program but likely not where we should be. If our alumni, president, AD, and coach buy in to us being great we will.
 

A lot of that is recruiting budgets and salaries, but another is having an AD and head coach with the knowledge of how an elite program works: Intense recruiting, intense off season conditioning (we may be lacking here), technology, coaching, motivation etc.

I like Berry and would love it if he succeeded but he just now moved to morning practices because he saw it works at other schools, that’s good but he may be too far behind the curve and might not be the guy.  

I see how athletes train in weight rooms at elite programs and it’s insanely intense; and the mental toughness coaches instill into players is off the charts. Are we doing this? Maybe, but it’s seems to be maybe not. 
 

Coaching and training at that level is not for everyone. It truly takes an unusual individual to motivate athletes to literally skate into a wall or make a tackle at full speed on a kickoff.
 

I’d think commits to this program, maybe more than any other, expect to be pushed to their limits and become champions and have a shot at the NHL. It just takes the right people with the knowledge and ability to make that happen. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CarpeRemote said:

Not making the tourney again would be a disaster for this program. We will be better because of changes around the program but likely not where we should be. If our alumni, president, AD, and coach buy in to us being great we will.
 

A lot of that is recruiting budgets and salaries, but another is having an AD and head coach with the knowledge of how an elite program works: Intense recruiting, intense off season conditioning (we may be lacking here), technology, coaching, motivation etc.

I like Berry and would love it if he succeeded but he just now moved to morning practices because he saw it works at other schools, that’s good but he may be too far behind the curve and might not be the guy.  

I see how athletes train in weight rooms at elite programs and it’s insanely intense; and the mental toughness coaches instill into players is off the charts. Are we doing this? Maybe, but it’s seems to be maybe not. 
 

Coaching and training at that level is not for everyone. It truly takes an unusual individual to motivate athletes to literally skate into a wall or make a tackle at full speed on a kickoff.
 

I’d think commits to this program, maybe more than any other, expect to be pushed to their limits and become champions and have a shot at the NHL. It just takes the right people with the knowledge and ability to make that happen. 

Morning practices isn’t the problem. Talent level has been the problem, and I think they have taken steps to correct that.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

It's more than just a talent level issue. Cannisius didn't have more talent on the ice than UND. 

Obviously, there are other factors, but you have someone that can put the puck in the net on the 50+ shots, and you beat that team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scoring is really the only issue the last two years. In that role we had defects like Gropp and Gerlach, and players not pan out, like Wilkie, the Scandinavians, and (so far) Adams. Yon was clearly not going to be a scorer after Juniors, but that's what he was recruited to do.  

Hopefully our desperation for scoring doesn't force Pinto to step into a role he's not ready for. Weatherby and Hain can and should make big steps. Mismash needs to be consistent.  Our D and goaltending will be solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2019 at 4:04 PM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Thanks for the heads up, may be trying to move our thanksgiving down to my sister's place in Mpls so the whole family can go.

Do Sioux fans sit on the left or the right at Mariucci? I'm guessing it's the left since most are sold on that side???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

It's more than just a talent level issue. Cannisius didn't have more talent on the ice than UND. 

Our talent couldn't score. We won that game top to bottom, but didn't pot. Our lack of talented finishing certainly was the difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FightingSioux4 said:

Do Sioux fans sit on the left or the right at Mariucci? I'm guessing it's the left since most are sold on that side???

 

I'm not sure but I'm guessing left since it looked like the entire end on the right side of your computer screen were taken.  I'm assuming that was for student sections.

We got our tickets on the left end.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 5:04 PM, burd said:

 

On 9/20/2019 at 1:24 PM, Irish said:

According to the Heraldo, Karl will have responsibility for the power play.  That can only be a good thing.  A frustrating year last year, but it looks like Berry is making some changes that should show positive results.  If our returning forwards can take a positive step in development we should be back in the thick of things.  Can't wait until the season starts.

I was wondering- would Karl have a unique view of just what shots scare the opposing goalies the most?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Gma loves hockey said:

 

I was wondering- would Karl have a unique view of just what shots scare the opposing goalies the most?    

The ones that go in.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...