SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, iluvdebbies said:

Saturday night, against Canisius, will be the last time he's a healthy scratch at UND.

That was nuts.  Hopefully there was more behind that one.  If a second rounder is being sat because another freshmen "needs to get in a game" we wont be seeing too many of those type of players anymore.  Did Tyconick play great...no.  But he did not play bad.  Like I said, maybe there is more behind that decision.

14 hours ago, UND1981 said:

How do you keep Frisch and Caulfield out of the line up?  Both were very good last night.

Really? I thought Frisch looked ok but not great and seemed to struggle with position at times (mostly on one PP he was out for) but was pretty solid defensively. I could see he wasn't too confident with the puck but that will come with time/experience.  For Caulfield, he couldn't have played more than about 5-6 shifts and it was evident to me that his feet/skating is what is holding him back (funny to say that when Casey Johnson continues to play though).

17 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Apparently and idk who but some of the boys celebrated the shut out a bit Friday. Could be a reason? Idk didn’t hear names just heard some of the boys had some good ole fun 

That would be more than disappointing if true. Big Kudos to Berry if that was the case. Hockey players at a major program have one job the night before a game and it’s not complicated. 

45 minutes ago, CarpeRemote said:

That would be more than disappointing if true. Big Kudos to Berry if that was the case. Hockey players at a major program have one job the night before a game and it’s not complicated. 

Katie expressly stated Saturday night that  Berry told her holding some players out Saturday was not a reflection on their play but only an effort to get players some ice time early in the season.   That may be just an effort to dodge the question, but if he was keeping any players out to send a message, he probably would not have made that comment (assuming he did, in fact, state that to Katie, which I have no reason to doubt). 

4 minutes ago, burd said:

Katie expressly stated Saturday night that  Berry told her holding some players out Saturday was not a reflection on their play but only an effort to get players some ice time early in the season.   That may be just an effort to dodge the question, but if he was keeping any players out to send a message, he probably would not have made that comment (assuming he did, in fact, state that to Katie, which I have no reason to doubt). 

Yup. This was announced by multiple people connected to UND both on TV, and on Twitter. The big series this weekend in Mankato had a lot to do with that decision also and making sure everyone is fresh and ready to go this weekend. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

Any way to watch this weekend's games or is Mankato still a tv black hole?

I believe it’s streaming only (unless someone knows otherwise) and have heard the streams suck so... yay! 

This was a contributing factor in deciding on making the trip down.... 

2 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I believe it’s streaming only (unless someone knows otherwise) and have heard the streams suck so... yay! 

This was a contributing factor in deciding on making the trip down.... 

Sometimes Comcast will show the game in the Twin Cities on their Special Events Channel...999 in my area.

4 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

That was nuts.  Hopefully there was more behind that one.  If a second rounder is being sat because another freshmen "needs to get in a game" we wont be seeing too many of those type of players anymore.  Did Tyconick play great...no.  But he did not play bad.  Like I said, maybe there is more behind that decision.

I don't think Tychonik sitting had anything to do with his play. I believe the coaches just said they wanted to get everyone so good early reps. Its worked out perfectly for this series. i fully expect Tychonik to be in the lineup for both games in Mankato. Can't wait for Friday!

22 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I don't think Tychonik sitting had anything to do with his play. I believe the coaches just said they wanted to get everyone so good early reps. Its worked out perfectly for this series. i fully expect Tychonik to be in the lineup for both games in Mankato. Can't wait for Friday!

Ya...that’s what they said on Tv.  I get that. Doesn’t pass the smell test. Why didn’t they sit JBD then?  Or poolman?

22 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Ya...that’s what they said on Tv.  I get that. Doesn’t pass the smell test. Why didn’t they sit JBD then?  Or poolman?

Does it really matter? Someone needed to sit if you want to get other players in, and I'm not sure, but was there anyone else that they would have wanted to rotate in?

Are you speculating discipline? injury? questionable coaching choice? Just curious.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

To me this is the best place to utilize the extra skater you can dress now. Being able to dress a 7th d-man every night and work in a freshman D slowly to me is ideal. Unless someone is playing a little dinged I don't get dressing a 13th forward. Maybe that's just me because I've had enough of watching #5 dress ahead of others over the years!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Does it really matter? Someone needed to sit if you want to get other players in, and I'm not sure, but was there anyone else that they would have wanted to rotate in?

Are you speculating discipline? injury? questionable coaching choice? Just curious.

I'm speculating something happened.  You don't just sit a second rounder because you're "working in a freshman".  That doesnt happen.  Do I really care....no.  Just trying to put that out there.

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I'm speculating something happened.  You don't just sit a second rounder because you're "working in a freshman".  That doesnt happen.  Do I really care....no.  Just trying to put that out there.

If Poolman, JBD, or Kierstad were a healthy scratch I think that would raise some eyebrows.

Tychonek, Bast, and Peski are your options.

I think dressing 7 d-men makes sense. With all the special team play this last weekend we were rolling 9 forwards quite a bit of the time. If you go down one for an injury it isn't a big deal to double shift a couple guys or roll 3 lines and/or give the other 2 forwards shifts here and there.

50 minutes ago, petey23 said:

If Poolman, JBD, or Kierstad were a healthy scratch I think that would raise some eyebrows.

Tychonek, Bast, and Peski are your options.

I think dressing 7 d-men makes sense. With all the special team play this last weekend we were rolling 9 forwards quite a bit of the time. If you go down one for an injury it isn't a big deal to double shift a couple guys or roll 3 lines and/or give the other 2 forwards shifts here and there.

I like the idea of dressing 7 d-men. I think they'd all be better defensive options than Johnson. Also any of the 7 should be able to fill a fourth line forward role should a forward get hurt.

SR- C. Poolman, A, Peski, C.Johnson

JR- G. Bast, M. Kiersted, J. Rieger

SO- JBD, J. Tychonick

FR- E. Frisch

I'm thinking Frisch will get some playing time for both the short term depth and long term benefits. If no one leaves early you'll have to bring in at least two defensemen next year. Rieger hasn't played a ton in his time here and depending how this year goes for each guy we could lose two or three underclassmen. So getting Frisch in there as long as he's not hurting the team maybe very important for next year if they have bring in three or four freshmen.

seems like our defense corp is stout, not saying the freshman D don't need the ice time but overall as a team, putting pucks in the net seems to be priority one, which generally falls onto your forward, especially net front work.  So why dress a 7th Dman when forwards need the most tweaking, evaluation, experience and what not.   

15 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

seems like our defense corp is stout, not saying the freshman D don't need the ice time but overall as a team, putting pucks in the net seems to be priority one, which generally falls onto your forward, especially net front work.  So why dress a 7th Dman when forwards need the most tweaking, evaluation, experience and what not.   

If Brad were worried about scoring and getting experience for the forwards, Casey Johnson wouldn't play every game.

• Upvote 2