SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

We need to hope Montana State beats Sacramento this week.  They have a bye week after that, so if they win they should stay around 6.  If we win the next two weeks I'm thinking we will be somewhere between 15-20 going into the MSU game.  If.....IF we are able to knock them off....we could jump close to top 10.  Wait....I mean....when we knock them off  :) 

Gotta win these next two weeks first though! 

• Upvote 1

On 10/7/2019 at 11:52 AM, Ozzie82 said:

I see the same logic on this board. When we beat a ranked team people say, "UC Davis hasn't beaten anyone; they shouldn't be ranked #12!" When we lose to an unranked team people say, "They aren't even ranked! How did we ever lose to them?" Hell, we just beat the #12 team in the country and we have a thread titled "We Got Lucky."

And we're mad at Bubba that we ran the ball 3 times after the interception while Bubba is quoted as saying Kett should have pulled the ball and thrown it during that series.

5 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I'm pleased with where we stand right now.  

Was very frustrated at times against SHSU and Davis, but in the end, they won.

The two losses were at places that not many visiting teams win at, and honestly we looked better in both of those games than we did in our most recent trips to those venues.

I put more stock in our performance against Drake than many probably do.  In recent years, we've struggled in our opening "buy" games.  We thumped them this year and I feel good about that.

As crucial as this opening 5 game gauntlet was, I place just as much, if not more, importance on how we perform the next two weeks.  Everyone, including me, is a bit uneasy about whether or not UND is playoff caliber team.  I think if we are 5-2 heading in to the Montana St game in GF, that will tell all of us that the program is much closer to where it was in 2016 vs how things shook out in 2017 or 2018.......

Agree 1000+

Ok

I can just throw my arms up and say enough for this season. I won’t go to anymore games and just move on. (I won’t)

The players and coaches cannot do that - nor would I expect or want them to. Hopefully they can keep up their spirits and pride to finish strong. I am sure they would appreciate and need encouragement at this time.

This isn’t easy or ideal for the team or fans. That said, it isn’t life ending either.

7 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Ok

I can just throw my arms up and say enough for this season. I won’t go to anymore games and just move on. (I won’t)

The players and coaches cannot do that - nor would I expect or want them to. Hopefully they can keep up their spirits and pride to finish strong. I am sure they would appreciate and need encouragement at this time.

This isn’t easy or ideal for the team or fans. That said, it isn’t life ending either.

Likewise, my emotion response to the debacle vs ISU is to say I'm all done with UND football for the season. But knowing myself I'll watch the game next Saturday.  I'll recite a litany of excuses in my head for our poor play as justification for doing so. Granted all the excuses will be just as bad as our play last Saturday. 

On 10/9/2019 at 12:20 AM, bincitysioux said:

I'm pleased with where we stand right now.  

Was very frustrated at times against SHSU and Davis, but in the end, they won.

The two losses were at places that not many visiting teams win at, and honestly we looked better in both of those games than we did in our most recent trips to those venues.

I put more stock in our performance against Drake than many probably do.  In recent years, we've struggled in our opening "buy" games.  We thumped them this year and I feel good about that.

As crucial as this opening 5 game gauntlet was, I place just as much, if not more, importance on how we perform the next two weeks.  Everyone, including me, is a bit uneasy about whether or not UND is playoff caliber team.  I think if we are 5-2 heading in to the Montana St game in GF, that will tell all of us that the program is much closer to where it was in 2016 vs how things shook out in 2017 or 2018.......

I'm not pleased

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

After watching how the season has played out, I'm not pleased either.  Sure we beat a couple of top 20 teams.  But honestly, those games could've easily been losses and from what I saw, neither of those teams or UND deserve to be ranked.  Maybe there really is only four or five "good" teams in FCS, but from what I've seen this season, UND has no business being in the playoffs.  Way too many mental mistakes with penalties, poor game management, and on and on.  Someone said it another thread, but this year is beginning to resemble the Mussman years.  It's just not good football to watch.  They show small signs of turning it around, only to revert back to the same inconsistent, undisciplined play we've become accustomed to.  Very difficult to remain an enthusiastic/engaged fan.  I will continue to support the team and go to the games, but something needs to change with this program.  We will be a bottom dweller in the MVFC if we don't.  Coaching is one part of the equation, I'm much more concerned with our strength and conditioning/nutritional program unfortunately.  

Good summary. Agree 1000%

1 hour ago, dmksioux said:

I'm much more concerned with our strength and conditioning/nutritional program unfortunately.  

We can't run the ball and our DL is getting manhandled.  No idea why this is not front and center, and yes if Bubba treats Baukol as one of the good ol' boys then it falls under coaching too. 

When I was at the game in Fargo, I could not help thinking how many of their starters were "developmental" in nature.  I just don't see consistent development with our roster.  Never going to be able to recruit enough guys with college-ready bodies to compete consistently at the level we all want to compete.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

We can't run the ball and our DL is getting manhandled.  No idea why this is not front and center, and yes if Bubba treats Baukol as one of the good ol' boys then it falls under coaching too. 

When I was at the game in Fargo, I could not help thinking how many of their starters were "developmental" in nature.  I just don't see consistent development with our roster.  Never going to be able to recruit enough guys with college-ready bodies to compete consistently at the level we all want to compete.

Development at the FCS level is the key. NDSU develops their players better than UND. And please, no jokes about “juice u”. It’s not just physical, their mental development leading to how well they execute plays and not make stupid mistakes is a large part of what I mean, also.

• Upvote 1

Und football needs a complete  re boot.  

My chronological framework of bubba from “14-19”

When bubba was hired I was in disagreement with the decision but accepted it as I had no choice.  Since he was well known here, we all knew of his track record....nothing stood out on his resume other than perhaps his D2 days as a DC for und.  Being a great guy that bleeds und green should not be a determining factor when considering a HC.  

Year 1 was a mess, as maybe it was expected, but defensively you could definitely see an improvement. He seemed to install discipline and hard work.  Offense was brutal however. 

Year 2  I fully jumped on board.  After beating Wyoming it seemed as though und was on the right track. This is bubba’s best team.  There was talent and the opposing coaches hadn’t learned bubba ball yet.  It was still at that element of surprise. They were hot at the right time and without a doubt should of been playoff bound. Truly believe they could of won one or two games in the playoffs. The bandwagon fans have taken notice.  Uptick in und football awareness is real  

Year 3 . Crowd attendance strengthens.   Weak schedule. Opposing coaches have had a year to digest and dissect bubba ball.  They were starting to out coach  bubbas crew ....but und would somehow find ways to escape numerous games with a victory.   A completely broken Richmond team exposes them.  Through out the year I was lambasting Rudys play calling. Santiago starts his descend. 

Year 4.  Big expectations. Coming off a seeded playoff year with some returning talent the crowd and excitement had grown considerably.   Fail!!  Fail!!! Fail!!! Complete fail!!   Naia quality team. Nothing else to be said  

Year 5. Excitement and fan attendance in a downward spiral. Had moments.   Coaches are embarrassingly exposed.  Players quit playing.  Average to weak schedule.   Fail!!  

Year 6.  Opposing coaches know exactly what they’re getting into when they play und.  Attendance has weakened  Crowd is dead. Team plays with no emotion.  Complete lack of discipline. ST crews have to be fcs worst.  Talent an issue all around.  5 games left.  No faith in bubba so I don’t expect any improvements nor playoffs. 

The trend is clear.  Bubba is not HC material.  The only one on the staff that has potential is Danny but he is being held back by Bubba,  Rudy’s recruits and inexperience as a OC.  Not sure if he is retainable at this point.  

At least with mussman you knew the odds of winning a game was  bleak. The expectations were extremely low. With bubba .....its a roller coaster of emotions. Mainly depressing but occasionally upgraded.  There are moments where it looks good and the fans interest peaks ....than bamb ..a meltdown occurs. And another.  Then maybe a decent showing and we think  “well if they can win the next two, they have a chance.”   Then another massive fail.   Even when they win it almost feels like a lose.   Their wins almost seem lucky and their loses are either blowouts or full of WTFs.  Headache  

Big sky teams= finesse   Mvfc= physical.  Mvfc teams are built along the lines.  Und is going to be extremely out matched both from the talent and coaching aspect in that league.  Bubba, I believe,  truly wants to be a physical team but doesnt recruit as such.  He is being physically exposed in a non physical league.  Change is needed   

I will say this again. ....bubba has only two victories over playoff bound teams in 6 years or 63 games.  There have been plenty of opportunities squandered.   I don't consider Sam or Davis to be playoff bound this year.  

IMO... this year is another year of below average. Three years running.  With 5 games left , I guess theres a chance ....but we’ve seen this song and dance before.  Not happening. 

• Upvote 2