SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

4 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

9But is Schuster better than Boltman?    Just asking, not implying either way.

I think that depends if you want a QB that runs 90% of the time with not much of a threat of a pass or someone with little mobility but that can throw? Schuster looks like a pretty good QB in my opinion. His height would worry me a bit. He has to be able to see over his lineman. 

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

No idea. Brock has never played a full game and Schuster has played one. Nobody know much about either of them at this point.

Except the coaches that work with them daily, but what do they know.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Hawkster said:

I have to wonder if the coaches really think that Kett is better than Boltman or Schuster?   It's hard to fathom that line of thought, but why else aren't they switching?    My only concerns on Schuster are the lack of experience and his 5'11" height, but I still think he deserves a shot.   Nothing ventured nothing gained.    And I have have no concerns on BB.    He's earned a chance.

Boltman got moved to WR for a reason, and it wasn't because an abundance of talent in the QB room. His athleticism makes him perfect to come in and run the "Brockstar" formation because the defense has to respect that he was a QB and can throw the ball but he doesn't have the accuracy to play QB regularly. 

Freund is making the call on who's starting. He was a QB, he's in practice every day watching, he knows what he needs from the QB position to win. They went with Kett because that's who they thought gave them the best chance to win after 2 weeks of prepping for EWU. A bit surprised they didn't throw Schuster in at some point during the second half at EWU but he will get another shot, possibly even this week, just not sure if he's quite where he needs to be quite yet despite his 2nd half showing against SHSU, which was incredibly impressive.

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Except the coaches that work with them daily, but what do they know.

Exactly

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

We are 3-2 after an incredibly tough 4 game stretch.  It was not necessarily easy but we are where most of us would have hoped for before the season started.  

Honestly if you would have told me before the season started we would be 3-2 I would have been estatic.  As it sits I’m somewhat irritated as we easily could have won last week if not for so many turnovers.  But, happy to be 3-2.    

• Upvote 2

It’s not as bad as it seems, it’s not as good as it seems. 

UND could definitely falter on the road against Idaho State (who Bubba consistently chokes against) and miss the playoffs but UND also could win out and end up a good playoff team. 

A lot of season and possibilities yet. Let’s see if UND can win on the road now .....

UND has to protect the ball (only 1 turnover today) and limit penalities to win on road.

48 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

3-2 right now.  Two wins against Top 25 teams, only losses are to last year's National Championship game participants.  

Not a bad spot to be in.  Always room for improvement!

Eastern has one d1 win...und.  Hardly a last years championship caliber team.  

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

Eastern has one d1 win...und.  Hardly a last years championship caliber team.  

They've also been a playoff team forever.  

Look, we are getting into "quality loss" territory here, which is something I don't want to do.  EWU beat us, and that is how it is.  

I think they are a good team, and you apparently do not. Same goes for Sam Houston and UC Davis.

We really won't know until November.....

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Especially since UND won with true freshman QB Tommy Schuster ... kudos to Danny Freund for having him ready to do that. Still quite unbelievable to me.

Definitely.  And lets stop saying 'This Staff' started Hiedelbaugh over Zimm, I'm sure that was Rudy that had Zimm as 3rd string.  Danny is head and shoulders above Rudy, and Danny recognized that if it came down to it Schuster would give us a better chance to win than Grover.  That is a big call and recognizing that the true freshman would game better than Grover.  I highly doubt Danny would have started Heiedelbaugh over Zimm.   And yes I know the head coach in the end can decide who plays, but I think Bubba is relying on the OC to mostly decide or have strong input on that.  

And I'm with all of you that not starting Zimm against Montana was one of the biggest coaching blunders ever, that was ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1