SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

39 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

A loss to Weber and two home wins vs UNC and SUU puts UND at 7-4. Hopefully they would make playoffs at that mark.  I could see them being a bubble team and either last team in or first team out in that situation, unfortunately.

Best situation would be a Weber State win and a 3-0 regular season finish, obviously.

I think the playoff committee is going to heavily hold the Idaho State blowout loss against UND, as they’ve done before. Idaho State is - once again - not a very good team and they embarrassed Bubba’s UND squad.

Agree with you. I think it’s more likely that the committee takes into account UND’s three wins against top 25 teams instead of one bad game. But it could go either way. And that’s not a great place to be in. Let’s go beat Weber and make this discussion a moot point. 

• Upvote 2

I don't see UND beating Weber on the road. 

UND will likely finish 7-4 if they don't lay an egg like the last game last year in which if they win were also going to be in the playoffs. 

UND will again be a bubble team. It'll come down to the resumes of those other two or three teams it's competing with for a spot.

Gonna put this perspective here, wherever UND ends up in the polls they know how to make the tourney for sure, go 8-3.. easier said than done but its true, SIU has an FBS win and was a procedure penalty away from putting up 21 unanswered at SEMO to open up the season with a great start before SEMO won the game.. if they get in at 7-5 over 7-4 UND that is going to be the quality loss mentioned I think. 

https://seamoresports.com/2019/10/26/und-football-regarding-playoffs-ask-again-later/

1 hour ago, zonadub said:

And UND will not have anyone advocating for them on the selection committee. The Hawks have to leave it all on the field the next 3 games and finish with 5 straight to overcome the loss at Pokie.

They didn't last year either and somehow managed to be one of the first 4 out despite being 6-5. I think being an independent aspect is overblown. The Southland and Big Sky both benefit from UND being viewed as playoff caliber due to the losses each conference had from UND, that won't hurt. 

UND gets in at 7-4 with the wins they have. The losses aren't that bad on paper, Massey has EWU at 20 and Idaho St at 37. Sagarin has them 12 and 39. Would have been ideal to just beat Idaho State, but that ship sailed.

Beating Weber removes any doubt, so they should just focus on doing that. And if they don't? Move on and take care of business the last two weeks. 

• Upvote 2

Remind me of how the playoff bidding works - each school submits a bid prior to the bracket announcement, right?  Are the bids opened before or after the bracket announcement?  In other words, Are bids ever used to determine the playoff field, especially with bubble teams?

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

This is why you schedule a 12th game. I don't think there's any worry at 8-4.

But how beat up is UND if they have to play another game next week? Potentially, having to win the last 3 of 4 with an injured D line.

Before the season I would have preferred UND to play 12 games, but that late-season bye sure seems to be helpful.

• Upvote 1

So I read in the morning paper that play offs are announced 11/5... not sure what divisions...seems wrong to me. When is the play off schedule announced? We have 3 games remaining on 11/5....

man, I am serving a 2:00 funeral at church 11/9.... can’t duck out BUT I can be there at 9 am making sandwiches and then leave right after serving.....

will be glued to the game for sure... GO Sioux....beating Weber would be orgasmic!

1 hour ago, Mama Sue said:

So I read in the morning paper that play offs are announced 11/5... not sure what divisions...seems wrong to me. When is the play off schedule announced? We have 3 games remaining on 11/5....

man, I am serving a 2:00 funeral at church 11/9.... can’t duck out BUT I can be there at 9 am making sandwiches and then leave right after serving.....

will be glued to the game for sure... GO Sioux....beating Weber would be orgasmic!

That would be the first release of the playoff rankings for the big schools, Alabama, Clemson, etc.   November 5.   

• Upvote 1

We seem to be getting a few breaks this year. Other teams have dropped some passes. We block a punt. Other coaches making questionable decisions. Our field goal hits the post and goes in. Late drives for game winning scores. Players getting healed just in time to replace newly injured players. Trick plays that have worked for us. We fumble into the end zone and recover.

maybe the stars are lining up

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Any update on mason Bennett? I heard it was a season ending injury but he looked pretty good in street clothes on Sat.  No brace and moving around well.

Heard it's a hamstring - not completely sure on the details (strain, tear, etc.)

43 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

We seem to be getting a few breaks this year. Other teams have dropped some passes. We block a punt. Other coaches making questionable decisions. Our field goal hits the post and goes in. Late drives for game winning scores. Players getting healed just in time to replace newly injured players. Trick plays that have worked for us. We fumble into the end zone and recover.

maybe the stars are lining up

Good Lord, man!!  Don't jinx it!!