SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

34 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

The minority got the name changed in a corrupt process. The minority are still unhappy UND hockey hasn’t put the Hawks logo front and center on center ice or on the hockey jerseys. 

The overlap between these two groups is much, much smaller than you think.
Those that wanted the name changed have zero vested interest in what happened beyond that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxForever said:

The minority got the name changed in a corrupt process. The minority are still unhappy UND hockey hasn’t put the Hawks logo front and center on center ice or on the hockey jerseys. 

What’s next? Our schools colors are hostile and abusive? Need warm colors? They’re never happy…has to be something, another issue, what is it next? 

Do you see the problem here? Never ending minority dissatisfaction. It’s exhausting. 

Prayers to you and yours.  Health first.  

4 hours ago, FightingSU said:

You’re ridiculous. The hawks name and logo sucks. It’s really that simple. 

That's your opinion, which is fine.  But that doesn't change the FACT that UND will be the Fighting Hawks likely for the rest of your life.  So if you want to die on the hill of "I will never support the name and logo of the University I cheer for" that's your decision.  I, as well and many others, have moved on. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

What’s next? Our schools colors are hostile and abusive? Need warm colors? They’re never happy…has to be something, another issue, what is it next? 

Do you see the problem here? Never ending minority dissatisfaction. It’s exhausting. 

This. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'll forever die on the no new nickname hill after Fighting Sioux was retired.

There are a thousand teams out there that are the hawks.  The one I truly hoped for was Nodaks when they decided that we needed a nickname, but I was in the minority there I guess.  New alternate looks good IMHO.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Men’s and woman’s BB has the logo on their jerseys and shorts. UND hockey has to be the only ncaa hockey team besides Notre Dame to not have a logo on their helmets.

Penn st has a blue stripe du has Denver, Michigan just has the alternating yellow and blue stripes. 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

There are a thousand teams out there that are the hawks.  The one I truly hoped for was Nodaks when they decided that we needed a nickname, but I was in the minority there I guess.  New alternate looks good IMHO.

No Name would have been good and by good I mean better than Fighting Hawks. The name was bland but then they had a 4th grader come up with the worst logo in college sports.

Kelly would have been good as well....like Stanford Cardinal

If we were going to go with Hawks we should have gone with a more specific bird/hawk, Peregrines have local interest and are the fastest animal on the planet.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

You wonder if UND just instituted a name like Force of the North or Green and White kind of like Central did with Maroon, if the appetite would have come about to have another nickname naturally at some point.  Of course the argument would be it would then be Sioux by default anyway.  One thing is certain, if the committee did their job and stuck to their own criteria, Hawks wouldn’t have been in the mix, and Nodak would have been a viable option.  I wouldn’t be opposed to Nodak taking root and reference would be to that much like you hear Zags for Gonzaga rather than referencing their actual Bulldogs nickname.

When I wore Sioux logos when traveling everyone knew what the logo was and got shout outs from lots of people.

Now when traveling with a Fighting Hawks logo I get more comments about the logo being the Philadelphia Eagles than it being UND……. It’s a shame we went from something recognizable and unmistaken to something non memorable, not noticeable, not unique . Seriously our name and logo sucks

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, petey23 said:

No Name would have been good and by good I mean better than Fighting Hawks. The name was bland but then they had a 4th grader come up with the worst logo in college sports.

Kelly would have been good as well....like Stanford Cardinal

If we were going to go with Hawks we should have gone with a more specific bird/hawk, Peregrines have local interest and are the fastest animal on the planet.

...and Peregrines would have met the unique criteria, as well as reference to the area as well.

6 hours ago, FightingSU said:

Does “moving on” include posting a 5 paragraph rant about how you are still dissatisfied and not content enough about the hockey team not using the crappy Logo enough? 

The Sioux name and logo are gone. If you want to go to your grave with all this hatred toward the Fighting Hawks name and log so be it. I get it. You don’t like the name and logo. You wish it was still the Fighting Sioux. Me too!! Loved the name and logo. But you need to let go man. All this hatred towards something as simple as a logo and name seems unnecessary. You don’t have to love the new name and logo. But can you at least just accept that it is what is just come to a realization that it is what it is and we will be living with the name and logo for likely the rest of our lives. The sooner you accept that, the better off you will be. 

2 hours ago, tnt said:

You wonder if UND just instituted a name like Force of the North or Green and White kind of like Central did with Maroon, if the appetite would have come about to have another nickname naturally at some point.  Of course the argument would be it would then be Sioux by default anyway.  One thing is certain, if the committee did their job and stuck to their own criteria, Hawks wouldn’t have been in the mix, and Nodak would have been a viable option.  I wouldn’t be opposed to Nodak taking root and reference would be to that much like you hear Zags for Gonzaga rather than referencing their actual Bulldogs nickname.

I remember my dad talking to Mark Kauk (aka the Kauker) at state hockey years ago after Central dropped the Redskins and became the Maroon and Grey.  He was ticked and I proudly saw him wearing his redskins beanie for years after when we would run into him at state hockey to chat for a bit.  I think it speaks to your point that Central was only the M&G for maybe 2 years before Knights was adopted I believe?

IMHO not taking a name for a few years (5 years at least) may have eased the transition to something else at UND, a cooling off period per say.

Would our fan base be having the same argument had the school went with Norse or Nodaks?  Probably.

Out in Denver and California yesterday and have received plenty of compliments on this hoodie I picked up at Scheels in Fargo a few weeks back. 

I can assure you if you have the Fighting Hawks logo on it from a design perspective, it ruins this great design/looking hoodie. Just calling a spade a spade. It’s marketing/design science 101. 

8B4CD3D5-4720-409C-93AD-E7B32DC0FCC9.jpeg

FB1F6EAD-05C1-4D2B-8B37-CB4D918B00B3.jpeg

3966CB35-203B-4A49-973B-D37243978DA1.jpeg

• Upvote 3

My opinion has not changed - the new name and logo are awful.  Just so you are aware I have opinions on many, many things - small government is better than large government.  Ranked Choice Voting is a terrible idea, I don't like the color of my living room but my wife loves it - if those opinions hurt your feeling you should learn to move because my opinion will not change on those topics (I will always hate the color of my living room, logo and new name).  I look forward to a year from now when the annual post in this thread comes about...  so, I can say the same thing.  By the way - I approve of the new jersey - well done.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SiouxForever said:

Out in Denver and California yesterday and have received plenty of compliments on this hoodie I picked up at Scheels in Fargo a few weeks back. 

I can assure you if you have the Fighting Hawks logo on it from a design perspective, it ruins this great design/looking hoodie. Just calling a spade a spade. It’s marketing/design science 101. 

8B4CD3D5-4720-409C-93AD-E7B32DC0FCC9.jpeg

FB1F6EAD-05C1-4D2B-8B37-CB4D918B00B3.jpeg

3966CB35-203B-4A49-973B-D37243978DA1.jpeg

We definitely could have run with no nickname.  I love this.  No Sioux logo on it so those who get offended can't get offended, and that ugly US postal service bird isn't on it so those that won't buy anything that has the hawk are more likely to buy it.  

• Upvote 1

Please note the date of this quote of myself ... 

On 4/30/2015 at 10:59 AM, The Sicatoka said:

An oversimplification of the view of the "no nickname" and "irreplaceable" viewpoint. 

We had a Lamborghini. It was awesome. There were a couple Ferrari around, but we had the only Lamborghini. 

Then the DOT said, "No more Lamborghini on the streets." The Ferrari were allowed to stay, along with all the Fords and Chevys. 

Worse? We had nothing to drive for quite a while ... and the Lamborghini is still in the garage, but we can't drive it*. 

And I'm worried that even if we get a Jaguar F-Type V8 R** it will still feel like a Yugo because the Lamborghini will always be in the garage.

The problem with that viewpoint? No wheels; we walk.  

*Although some folks are still revvin' it up in the garage. 

** Feel free to donate to my F-Type R, in racing green of course, fund at any time. :) 

Is the name as great as it could be? No. It might not even be a Jaguar F-Type R, but believe it or not, it could be worse. (It could be a rodent.) 

Do some of you want to stay stylistically (meaning arts and fonts) in the '50, '70s, or '90s. Clearly. That Nashville sweater was straight-up from the 1990s Kendall Baker collection. <-- There. I said it. 

To me the biggest knock on the new logo is lack of Y-axis symmetry meaning it looks like it's going backwards on the left side of a helmet. (See also: NY Jets) Otherwise, it is a 2010s logo.

Greatest in the world? No. Can I live with it. Yes. 

Why?

The kid wearing the logo, and the institution they represent, is why I'm there. 

9 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The Sioux name and logo are gone. If you want to go to your grave with all this hatred toward the Fighting Hawks name and log so be it. I get it. You don’t like the name and logo. You wish it was still the Fighting Sioux. Me too!! Loved the name and logo. But you need to let go man. All this hatred towards something as simple as a logo and name seems unnecessary. You don’t have to love the new name and logo. But can you at least just accept that it is what is just come to a realization that it is what it is and we will be living with the name and logo for likely the rest of our lives. The sooner you accept that, the better off you will be. 

These three sentences are a massive part of the problem. Stop telling people how to feel about it. It's drips with arrogance and condescension, and people just don't want to hear it. The Sioux Forever crowd overwhelmingly understands the name is what it is and that it's not coming back. They aren't mentally struggling with it as it's not a hard concept. They are just being who they are and reacting the way they want.

You want this "issue" to go away sooner? Let people react their own way and just go about your own life. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

These three sentences are a massive part of the problem. Stop telling people how to feel about it. It's drips with arrogance and condescension, and people just don't want to hear it. The Sioux Forever crowd overwhelmingly understands the name is what it is and that it's not coming back. They aren't mentally struggling with it as it's not a hard concept. They are just being who they are and reacting the way they want.

You want this "issue" to go away sooner? Let people react their own way and just go about your own life. 

Its a f*cking nickname.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1