SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I'm extremely Sad & Delusional  because I hate Fighting Hawks - Maybe if the little white dove would go away I could be just Sad but bring back Fighting Sioux & I could become ecstatically Happy & Non-delusinal & no longer hate the NCAA But until then I remain delusionaly sad & any 16 yr old potential recruit that likes Fighting Sioux has the 1st degree of potential in my book 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Here's the thing, since you clearly don't like any of the other responses, though you cannot blame people for calling you a troll with this one:

- There are far worse things a 16 year old commit could tweet than #GoSioux. Pretty harmless compared to what a lot of kids put on social media, and remember these are kids. They don't always think about what they are writing from other perspective.

- I have know idea what this kids background or family history is, do you? Maybe his family is a bunch of die hard fans, and have been for a long time. If parents call the team the Fighting Sioux, the kid probably will too.

- Maybe he recognizes that the Fighting Sioux has a historical significance with the fan base, and even though the official name is now fighting hawks, he is excited about that tradition. Just because they are not technically the Fighting Sioux anymore, doesn't mean you erase it from the history books.

No personally, I love the Fighting Sioux name and logo, but I also accept that we are the Fighting Hawks. I wear Sioux gear, I wear Hawks gear, but don't kid yourself, that just because you have an opinion over the name that everyone else should just align to that.

In my opinion, the only thing sad and delusional, is judging a 16 year old kid, who is excited about the next potential phase of his life, on a public forum because he referenced one team name over another. How petty is that? You're going to call into question a kids character and judgement over something that insignificant? You have kids in sports (UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD UofM, etc.) that have felony drug issues, have faced various types of assault charges, have been drunk and disorderly, steroid issues, publicly fighting on the bar scene, the list goes on.

My recommendation would be to get off your high horse, rather than judging this kid, who I'm guessing you have never met, and know nothing about. Sure, he could be a moron with character issues, poor judgement, no common sense, but without knowing that, its probably best to not chastise him on a public forum; and there is no way to know that based on that simple hashtag that you seem to hate so much.

Nailed it.

On 12/6/2019 at 11:16 PM, Irish said:

In another thread a poster complained that Football is hurt by the nickname controversy.  Here's what I think - there are not many Sioux Forever fans left - even though that's what you hear at hockey games.  Almost all realize the Sioux is not coming back.  However, there is a strong contingent that feels that the Fighting Hawk name and logo is so pathetic they will never get behind it.  I am one.  I just can't bring myself to buy anything that features that idiotic name and postal logo.  We were promised a strong nickname that represented us in a unique way.  Adjective Bird just doesn't cut it - nor does the Hawk name represent North Dakota in any way.   Just look at the brief excitement when a moose wandered on to campus.  Time for a do-over to give us a nickname we can all be proud of - Fighting Moose would be a winner.  

I agree with this mostly. I prefer the Sioux name and usually still use it. But I don't mind the name Fighting Hawks itself, it wasn't my first choice but I can stomach it. The logo is where my support falls short though. It's dreadfully boring. 

That being said, I got my daughter and Hawk jersey and let her use that name. It's not her controversy and I don't want her to receive same hateful judgement that others spewed out earlier. 

• Upvote 1

Going into CVS in North Fargo with my Sioux winter jacket (I will wear it til it dies), had a guy walking out slap me on the arm and said “good hockey team”, I said yep. I did have my Fighting Hawks shirt underneath. So I go back and forth between Sioux and Hawks gear. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

The main issue I have is that the committee was tasked with coming up with nickname options that were unique to North Dakota yet somehow Fighting Hawks made the list.  If you want North Dakotans to get behind something at least make it something that has ties to the state.  Roughriders and Nodaks was personal and fit the description(not perfectly but at least they were uniquely North Dakotan). I'm still waiting to hear what connection Hawks, fighting or otherwise, have to North Dakota. Would there still be holdouts for the Sioux Forever crowd? Sure, but I don't think it would be quite as many. All conjecture though.

Two words.  Abdominal Snowmen.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Had a beanie on that said North Dakota getting on a chairlift in Big Sky, MT and the operator said 'Go Sioux'

Walked into the hockey store in  SW Twin Cities two days ago wearing a Sioux cap (Ben Brien logo) and the guy working says, "What do you want?" 

Me: I'm picking up blades for (insert name here)

Him:  Well they're not done...and they probably won't be anytime soon with you wearing that %^$##ing Sioux hat in here.

Me:  So I'm guessing you're not a fan.

37 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Walked into the hockey store in  SW Twin Cities two days ago wearing a Sioux cap (Ben Brien logo) and the guy working says, "What do you want?" 

Him:  Well they're not done...and they probably won't be anytime soon with you wearing that %^$##ing Sioux hat in here.

Reply "I expect them to be done in 5 minutes not 8, because 8 > 5"

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Had that been me...

Me: I’m picking up blades for (insert name here)

Him:  Well they're not done...and they probably won't be anytime soon with you wearing that %^$##ing Sioux hat in here.

Me:  How professional of you.  Tell ya what, why don’t you go get ‘em and I’ll bring ‘em to your closest competitor, thanks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Had that been me...

Me: I’m picking up blades for (insert name here)

Him:  Well they're not done...and they probably won't be anytime soon with you wearing that %^$##ing Sioux hat in here.

Me:  How professional of you.  Tell ya what, why don’t you go get ‘em and I’ll bring ‘em to your closest competitor, thanks.

It was all good...the guy is a big Gofer fan so I asked him about his team and he just went off on how crappy they are and how Lucia put the program in the shitter.  

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

https://www.virginiamn.com/free_press/fiercely-united/article_78742692-3e67-11ea-a680-a7fbdf8bb9fb.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Eveleth-Gilbert, Virginia introduce the Rock Ridge Wolverines

"The school name and logo unveiling was the product of more than 100 meetings, a public vote on the new school, numerous debates on how to accomplish this, many volunteer hours, and stakeholders hearing thousands of comments, suggestions and ideas — for and against the entire plan — every step of the way."

"Every aspect of the new name, mascot and colors were chosen by the Eveleth, Gilbert and Virginia communities through a community-wide vote hosted by the school districts."

“The best part is, this is what the public voted to do,”

The right way to choose a new name and especially a logo. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Did someone say "Rock Ridge"

They should've been the Rock Ridge Johnsons:D

• Upvote 2

On 12/13/2019 at 10:35 PM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

The main issue I have is that the committee was tasked with coming up with nickname options that were unique to North Dakota yet somehow Fighting Hawks made the list.  If you want North Dakotans to get behind something at least make it something that has ties to the state.  Roughriders and Nodaks was personal and fit the description(not perfectly but at least they were uniquely North Dakotan). I'm still waiting to hear what connection Hawks, fighting or otherwise, have to North Dakota. Would there still be holdouts for the Sioux Forever crowd? Sure, but I don't think it would be quite as many. All conjecture though.

It should have been Roughriders, but there are too many reject "grown-ups" that think that high school means anything.