SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

On 5/20/2020 at 9:02 AM, southpaw said:

Yeah! Let's cheer for someone to get raped because they disagreed with a nickname choice.

Catch up,

They killed a child and tortured another.

Jail assraping with flaming pineapple is perfectly ok. Zero to do with the nickname, but says alot about these people... "offended"... by a team name and logo art. Thats... offensive....

....but torturing and killing kids, thats ok with this subhuman scum.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Two letters.
Three color scheme. 
Simple layout for reproduction. 
If you know the team moniker you see the logo/mascot immediately. 

North Dakota?
Los Angeles.

FuAMcPi7eitArFMbrrR3Tc-1200-80.jpg

You mean the one that everyone thought represented the LA Chargers because the horn looks like a C? The logo was skewered pretty good when it was released to the point that the COO had to publicly come out and say they weren't changing it despite the blowback. Ram legend Eric Dickerson (who works for the team) even unsucessfully lobbied for a change.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/06/rams-logo-color-not-changing-criticism-kevin-demoff

That being said, I was a big fan of the jerseys they wore yesterday. 

960x0.jpg?fit=scale     images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMm-TmH5rRBFTUJnu3bDf

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

it is confusing only because the rams share a city and stadium with a team that starts with a C...imo no city should have more than one professional team of the same sport much less the same stadium.

And then you realize that Giants and Jets start with different letters...but the same sound:) 

• 3 months later...

So as per sources, there will be a ceremony to raise the 2020 Conference Championship banner before the Saturday game.  And, the banner will have the Fighting Hawks logo on it.  There won't be a crazy amount of fans there, but it will be interesting to see what the reaction will be.  Hopefully it will celebrated and appropriately cheered.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So as per sources, there will be a ceremony to raise the 2020 Conference Championship banner before the Saturday game.  And, the banner will have the Fighting Hawks logo on it.  There won't be a crazy amount of fans there, but it will be interesting to see what the reaction will be.  Hopefully it will celebrated and appropriately cheered.

Give it a rest.....this garbage post doesn't help.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Damn thing better be wearing a mask.  And just to be safe, they should keep it at least 6' from the others.

• Upvote 2

• 9 months later...

On this date exactly 6 years ago, it was officially announced that "Fighting Hawks" would be the new nickname for the University of North Dakota.  Ironically yesterday, the hockey team revealed a new alternate home jersey with "NODAKS" on the front of it.  Yet another example of the hockey program's resistance to accepting the new name and logo.  Actually adopting a name that finished 3rd in initial voting.

I have been a proponent of accepting the Fighting Hawks name and logo from the day each was announced.  Pretty much every other athletic program at UND has embraced the new name and logo and displayed it on their jerseys, warmups, etc.  Except for the hockey program.  Yes I know, the logo is on the shoulder of the jerseys.  Besides the two banners and the shoulder of the jersey, you won't see the hockey program, REA, etc show any support for the Fighting Hawks name and logo.  It's embarrassing.

So my question is why is that?  Why has the Athletic Department at UND allowed the hockey program to reject the name and logo while other programs have embraced it?  Pressure from the REA?  Worried about funding being cutoff from the Engelstad foundation? Worried about offending the die hard "Hockey only" "Sioux Forever" crowd?   Why don't we have a Fighting Hawks logo at center ice? Why hasn't the REA replaced the Sioux logos on the outside of the building with Hawks logos?  Why did the REA locker room get renovated with an expiring interlocking ND logo right before a new logo was announced?  Why does almost every apparel the hockey team/coaches wear not have the Hawks logo on it and it just says "North Dakota hockey?"  Why doesn't Brad Berry ever refer to the team as the Fighting Hawks?  Why does Hennesy rarely refer to the team as the Hawks?  

It's been frustrating these last 6 years watching every program but our most prominent one accept the Fighting Hawks as our new name and logo.  Seeing a new jersey come out with an alternate name once again avoiding the Hawks name was just another sad example.  IF only there was another 5 letter name they could have put non the jersey...I don't know, maybe our actual nickname and not some nickname that was rejected by voters.

OK, that is my rant.  I think the new jerseys look great.  If they would have said HAWKS on the front instead of NODAK, they would have been a 10 in my book.  But being reminded once again of the hockey program, and many of the fans, simply will not let go of the Sioux name and embrace just a little bit the Fighting Hawks name continues to frustrate myself and many other fans as well.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 5

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

On this date exactly 6 years ago, it was officially announced that "Fighting Hawks" would be the new nickname for the University of North Dakota.  Ironically yesterday, the hockey team revealed a new alternate home jersey with "NODAKS" on the front of it.  Yet another example of the hockey program's resistance to accepting the new name and logo.  Actually adopting a name that finished 3rd in initial voting.

I have been a proponent of accepting the Fighting Hawks name and logo from the day each was announced.  Pretty much every other athletic program at UND has embraced the new name and logo and displayed it on their jerseys, warmups, etc.  Except for the hockey program.  Yes I know, the logo is on the shoulder of the jerseys.  Besides the two banners and the shoulder of the jersey, you won't see the hockey program, REA, etc show any support for the Fighting Hawks name and logo.  It's embarrassing.

So my question is why is that?  Why has the Athletic Department at UND allowed the hockey program to reject the name and logo while other programs have embraced it?  Pressure from the REA?  Worried about funding being cutoff from the Engelstad foundation? Worried about offending the die hard "Hockey only" "Sioux Forever" crowd?   Why don't we have a Fighting Hawks logo at center ice? Why hasn't the REA replaced the Sioux logos on the outside of the building with Hawks logos?  Why did the REA locker room get renovated with an expiring interlocking ND logo right before a new logo was announced?  Why does almost every apparel the hockey team/coaches wear not have the Hawks logo on it and it just says "North Dakota hockey?"  Why doesn't Brad Berry ever refer to the team as the Fighting Hawks?  Why does Hennesy rarely refer to the team as the Hawks?  

It's been frustrating these last 6 years watching every program but our most prominent one accept the Fighting Hawks as our new name and logo.  Seeing a new jersey come out with an alternate name once again avoiding the Hawks name was just another sad example.  IF only there was another 5 letter name they could have put non the jersey...I don't know, maybe our actual nickname and not some nickname that was rejected by voters.

OK, that is my rant.  I think the new jerseys look great.  If they would have said HAWKS on the front instead of NODAK, they would have been a 10 in my book.  But being reminded once again of the hockey program, and many of the fans, simply will not let go of the Sioux name and embrace just a little bit the Fighting Hawks name continues to frustrate myself and many other fans as well.

Maybe you should complain about the other teams that don’t have that ugly logo displayed front and center of their uniforms? BB has the Hawks logo where on their jersey?

the Fighting Hawks logo is embarrassing so I can see why programs don’t want it anywhere in their uni. Maybe the Hawks logo and name is not a good seller when compared to apparel with just North Dakota on it. Nodaks is a throwback name our university once used in the past so I see no reason why it can’t be on an alternate Jersey. The only reason the fighting Hawks was chosen was because of the word “fighting”, there is nothing special about Hawks and we no longer have a unique brand. 

maybe our new president should right the ship!

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Maybe you should complain about the other teams that don’t have that ugly logo displayed front and center of their uniforms? BB has the Hawks logo where on their jersey?

the Fighting Hawks logo is embarrassing so I can see why programs don’t want it anywhere in their uni. Maybe the Hawks logo and name is not a good seller when compared to apparel with just North Dakota on it. Nodaks is a throwback name our university once used in the past so I see no reason why it can’t be on an alternate Jersey. The only reason the fighting Hawks was chosen was because of the word “fighting”, there is nothing special about Hawks and we no longer have a unique brand. 

maybe our new president should right the ship!

Men’s and woman’s BB has the logo on their jerseys and shorts. UND hockey has to be the only ncaa hockey team besides Notre Dame to not have a logo on their helmets.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dang, thanks for the heads up - those new jerseys are killer! I might actually have to buy one. Isn't the logo on the shoulder patch?

I definitely used to be "Sioux Forever" (and the part of me that learned to read on media guides/programs/etc always will), but I've realized it wasn't worth the controversy and also that Native American imagery is probably not well-suited for athletic team names. Fighting Hawks is a super lame name and I'm glad to see this alternate jersey unveiled. They obviously had full support of the athletic department, so I don't see the issue.

• Upvote 3

I think they used the logo well. It fits both sides of the fan base. If they made it front and center, you know a lot of the hockey fan base wouldn't buy into and and reject the idea, but they also didn't hide a small logo on the pants or helmet to say they used it. I don't care either way, I just think they did it right for both sides. I personally think putting Nodak or North Dakota is a lot more recognizable then the hawk logo, but I understand some people's desire to make the Hawk name or logo the main point of the jersey as well. If the athletic department approved of it, should be good to go. Plus I think sales of the jersey or other variations of the new jersey wouldn't be as high of a demand if Hawks or the new logo was the main point of the jerseys. I'd likely be buying one either way, but I get both sides, and think they did it right.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Men’s and woman’s BB has the logo on their jerseys and shorts. UND hockey has to be the only ncaa hockey team besides Notre Dame to not have a logo on their helmets.

Maybe you should boycott the hockey team.  Didn't hear you when the other sports didn't have the Sioux logo front and center. 

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

You’re ridiculous. The hawks name and logo sucks. It’s really that simple. 

• Upvote 3

The minority got the name changed in a corrupt process. The minority are still unhappy UND hockey hasn’t put the Hawks logo front and center on center ice or on the hockey jerseys. 

What’s next? Our schools colors are hostile and abusive? Need warm colors? They’re never happy…has to be something, another issue, what is it next? 

Do you see the problem here? Never ending minority dissatisfaction. It’s exhausting. 

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, NoDaks said:

I think they used the logo well. It fits both sides of the fan base. If they made it front and center, you know a lot of the hockey fan base wouldn't buy into and and reject the idea, but they also didn't hide a small logo on the pants or helmet to say they used it. I don't care either way, I just think they did it right for both sides. I personally think putting Nodak or North Dakota is a lot more recognizable then the hawk logo, but I understand some people's desire to make the Hawk name or logo the main point of the jersey as well. If the athletic department approved of it, should be good to go. Plus I think sales of the jersey or other variations of the new jersey wouldn't be as high of a demand if Hawks or the new logo was the main point of the jerseys. I'd likely be buying one either way, but I get both sides, and think they did it right.

I would think that as long as people are still supporting the University, who cares who puts what front and center.  To me this is the best of both worlds.  The other programs can use the logo as they see fit, and the hockey program can still keep people buying merchandise, yet use the name and logo as they see fit, much as the other programs did in the past.