SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

IMHO not taking a name for a few years (5 years at least) may have eased the transition to something else at UND, a cooling off period per say.

The Fighting Sioux nickname was retired in 2012.
Fighting Haws was chose in 2015.
You really think 2 more years would have made a difference? ;)

What's actually really amusing is cross section of the people who are the loudest critics/lease accepting of the Fighting Hawks nickname were overlaps quite a bit with those that chose it because here are just a few reasons people voted for the Fighting Hawks nickname because they thought they were being sneaky and sticking it to the NCAA:

• How About We Keep Sioux
  • Fighting "Anything"
  • Methed out, crooked beaked bird with a headdress people thought would be the new logo

I mentioned this years ago, when you allow a large group to make a decision, you are going to end up with the most generic choice of the bunch. Why do you think parties always end up with pepperoni pizza?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

The Fighting Sioux nickname was retired in 2012.
Fighting Haws was chose in 2015.
You really think 2 more years would have made a difference? ;)

What's actually really amusing is cross section of the people who are the loudest critics/lease accepting of the Fighting Hawks nickname were overlaps quite a bit with those that chose it because here are just a few reasons people voted for the Fighting Hawks nickname because they thought they were being sneaky and sticking it to the NCAA:

• How About We Keep Sioux
  • Fighting "Anything"
  • Methed out, crooked beaked bird with a headdress people thought would be the new logo

I mentioned this years ago, when you allow a large group to make a decision, you are going to end up with the most generic choice of the bunch. Why do you think parties always end up with pepperoni pizza?

Because pepperoni pizza effing wails? 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The Sioux name and logo are gone. If you want to go to your grave with all this hatred toward the Fighting Hawks name and log so be it. I get it. You don’t like the name and logo. You wish it was still the Fighting Sioux. Me too!! Loved the name and logo. But you need to let go man. All this hatred towards something as simple as a logo and name seems unnecessary. You don’t have to love the new name and logo. But can you at least just accept that it is what is just come to a realization that it is what it is and we will be living with the name and logo for likely the rest of our lives. The sooner you accept that, the better off you will be. 

I accept that we needed to retire the Sioux logo but it’s replacement sucks! Just because we don’t like the new logo doesn’t mean we all don’t want to move on from the old one. This transition would have gone over better if we had a cool, catchy, unique logo. Instead we got another dumb bird logo and one of the worst ones to boot!

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

These three sentences are a massive part of the problem. Stop telling people how to feel about it. It's drips with arrogance and condescension, and people just don't want to hear it. The Sioux Forever crowd overwhelmingly understands the name is what it is and that it's not coming back. They aren't mentally struggling with it as it's not a hard concept. They are just being who they are and reacting the way they want.

You want this "issue" to go away sooner? Let people react their own way and just go about your own life. 

The biggest problem isn't that there are fans that are not accepting of the new name/logo and are still holding strong to the Sioux name/logo;  It's that the REA and the hockey program are leading the charge on the issue.  Should the REA have to Fighting Hawks logo at center ice?  Yes.  Should the hockey team have a jersey that says "Hawks" on it?  Yes.  Should coaches refer to the team as Fighting Hawks hockey as well as North Dakota hockey?  Yes.  Should the REA have waited another 18 months to renovate their locker room until the new logo was released to incorporate it in the remodel?  Yes.  But unfortunately the answer to these questions is no.

So the frustration really is about the REA and the hockey programs hesitancy to embrace the Fighting Hawks name/logo and the and that encourages fans to do the same.  Releasing a new jersey with a name that isn't even our nickname just proves it even more.  And the AD and UND President don't seem to think its and issue is what is most frustrating.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The biggest problem isn't that there are fans that are not accepting of the new name/logo and are still holding strong to the Sioux name/logo;  It's that the REA and the hockey program are leading the charge on the issue.  Should the REA have to Fighting Hawks logo at center ice?  Yes.  Should the hockey team have a jersey that says "Hawks" on it?  Yes.  Should coaches refer to the team as Fighting Hawks hockey as well as North Dakota hockey?  Yes.  Should the REA have waited another 18 months to renovate their locker room until the new logo was released to incorporate it in the remodel?  Yes.  But unfortunately the answer to these questions is no.

So the frustration really is about the REA and the hockey programs hesitancy to embrace the Fighting Hawks name/logo and the and that encourages fans to do the same.  Releasing a new jersey with a name that isn't even our nickname just proves it even more.  And the AD and UND President don't seem to think its and issue is what is most frustrating.

I think your points are pretty spot on. I honestly don't disagree with anything you said, but I just don't really see the problem with the name change issue. Is any of this honestly a problem that's affecting UND? From your POV, what issue is really at concern, here? What do want to happen? And why is it such a problem to the University? I would love to see numbers and facts if this nickname "issue" is a big deal to UND donations, academic performance, athletic recruiting, athletic performance. If it's not, what's the problem?

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think your points are pretty spot on. I honestly don't disagree with anything you said, but I just don't really see the problem with the name change issue. From your POV, what issue is really at concern, here? What do want to happen? And why is it such a problem to the University? I would love to see numbers and facts if this nickname "issue" is a big deal to UND donations, academic performance, athletic recruiting, athletic performance. If it's not, what's the problem?

Didn't you hear? If we were still the Fighting Sioux, we'd be getting more blue chippaz!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think your points are pretty spot on. I honestly don't disagree with anything you said, but I just don't really see the problem with the name change issue. From your POV, what issue is really at concern, here? What do want to happen? And why is it such a problem to the University? I would love to see numbers and facts if this nickname "issue" is a big deal to UND donations, academic performance, athletic recruiting, athletic performance. If it's not, what's the problem?

What I want to happen is for the University and all of its athletics programs to be proponents of the Fighting Hawks name and logo.  Most importantly for the REA to be as well.  Do the things that I mentioned in my post above.  I get that there are fans that are going to hold out and likely never support the Fighting Hawks name/logo.  But the hockey program is a part of UND and they are the Fighting Hawks hockey team.  Berry needs to lead the charge on that.  Much like Bubba did day one, hour one when the logo was revealed.  

When all athletic programs use the Fighting Hawks logo and wear it proudly and our most prominent program is reluctant to do the same, that is a problem.  

• Downvote 2

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

What I want to happen is for the University and all of its athletics programs to be proponents of the Fighting Hawks name and logo.  Most importantly for the REA to be as well.  Do the things that I mentioned in my post above.  I get that there are fans that are going to hold out and likely never support the Fighting Hawks name/logo.  But the hockey program is a part of UND and they are the Fighting Hawks hockey team.  Berry needs to lead the charge on that.  Much like Bubba did day one, hour one when the logo was revealed.  

When all athletic programs use the Fighting Hawks logo and wear it proudly and our most prominent program is reluctant to do the same, that is a problem.  

Again, I honestly think you're right that they should, but what is the problem that they aren't? It seems like you just don't like it. Which is fine, but I'm sorry, that doesn't mean it's a problem for the University. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

JFC. We are still debating this?  Same dozen people, too. It's like the bat signal goes out that a new post has been submitted, and like moths to a flame ....  :D Comical. Don't change, SiouxSports, don't ever effn' change. I know you wont. Ok, I'm done.

LOL.  Truth!

UND actual name for the past 6 years:  Fighting Hawks

UND name chanted and worn by some:  Fighting Sioux

UND new alternate hockey jersey:  Nodak

I suggest we bring back Flickertails!  "Flickertails forever...clap clap clap clap clap"   

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Lack of continuity of branding of UND Athletics. 

Is this hurting the University at the moment? I think it isn't a good thing long term, no doubt. With that said, if it's not hurting the University, it's just a matter of contention and annoyance rather than something actually of worry.

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Question asked on page 133 of thread debating issue. 

A rift in the fan base is not helping. 

Yeah, I don't disagree. We're going in circles and I'm sorry that I'm contributing to it.

I still don't really think it affects the University all that much. The school is doing fine and so is the athletics program. 

24 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yeah, I don't disagree. We're going in circles and I'm sorry that I'm contributing to it.

I still don't really think it affects the University all that much. The school is doing fine and so is the athletics program. 

Is it?  I'm not going to attribute it all (or any of it) to the name split, but enrollment is down 15% since 2012, and football, m/w bball, vball, softball, and soccer are all currently/recently struggling.  Again, I don't blame the name split for that, but university pride does seem to be falling as well, at least prior to uncle Andy.

1 hour ago, ChrisUND1 said:

LOL.  Truth!

UND actual name for the past 6 years:  Fighting Hawks

UND name chanted and worn by some:  Fighting Sioux

UND new alternate hockey jersey:  Nodak

I suggest we bring back Flickertails!  "Flickertails forever...clap clap clap clap clap"   

Well hockey is niche according to you so why do you care?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Is it?  I'm not going to attribute it all (or any of it) to the name split, but enrollment is down 15% since 2012, and football, m/w bball, vball, softball, and soccer are all currently/recently struggling.  Again, I don't blame the name split for that, but university pride does seem to be falling as well, at least prior to uncle Andy.

That's fair. I guess "fine" is a relative term, sorry. Would be an interesting investigation to see if any of that can be related to the name change argument/issues. 

On 11/19/2021 at 9:26 AM, Sioux>Bison said:

I accept that we needed to retire the Sioux logo but it’s replacement sucks! Just because we don’t like the new logo doesn’t mean we all don’t want to move on from the old one. This transition would have gone over better if we had a cool, catchy, unique logo. Instead we got another dumb bird logo and one of the worst ones to boot!

Exactly this