SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

On 1/24/2020 at 1:33 PM, Siouxperfan7 said:

https://www.virginiamn.com/free_press/fiercely-united/article_78742692-3e67-11ea-a680-a7fbdf8bb9fb.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Eveleth-Gilbert, Virginia introduce the Rock Ridge Wolverines

"The school name and logo unveiling was the product of more than 100 meetings, a public vote on the new school, numerous debates on how to accomplish this, many volunteer hours, and stakeholders hearing thousands of comments, suggestions and ideas — for and against the entire plan — every step of the way."

"Every aspect of the new name, mascot and colors were chosen by the Eveleth, Gilbert and Virginia communities through a community-wide vote hosted by the school districts."

“The best part is, this is what the public voted to do,”

The right way to choose a new name and especially a logo. 

With all due respect, 100 meetings, a public vote, debates, volunteer hours, thousands of comments, suggestions and ideas to come up with...Wolverines.  

On 1/24/2020 at 6:20 PM, wxman91 said:

It should have been Roughriders, but there are too many reject "grown-ups" that think that high school means anything.  

If we're gonna go that route, why wouldn't they just name them the Knights instead?  

16 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

If we're gonna go that route, why wouldn't they just name them the Knights instead?  

That is as generic and not related to the state as Hawks are.

The comment that kept coming up from one side during the nickname polling was that we shouldn't go with Roughriders because Red River already has that name.  This was always an asinine argument.

The Hawks is as awful of a name today as it was years ago when it was floated as an option.  

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, wxman91 said:

That is as generic and not related to the state as Hawks are.

The comment that kept coming up from one side during the nickname polling was that we shouldn't go with Roughriders because Red River already has that name.  This was always an asinine argument.

The Hawks is as awful of a name today as it was years ago when it was floated as an option.  

Well, Teddy Roosevelt spent like 15 minutes in the state and the Roughriders charged up the Killdeer Mountains, so I guess that makes more sense...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Well, Teddy Roosevelt spent like 15 minutes in the state and the Roughriders charged up the Killdeer Mountains, so I guess that makes more sense...

Maybe not, but it beats the hell out of generic animal names like wildcats, huskies, tigers...and (cough) hawks.

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 6:20 PM, CarpeRemote said:

Anything after “Sioux” was going to suck for most people, it’s very understandable. Frankly, all mascot names are a little lame, depending on perspective. But what’s truly lame is fans at games yelling nothing at all. 

I for one would have been willing to wait a few more years so we could have had Fighting Moose

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how I stumbled on this, but I found the site for Schmidt Athletic Floors.  They do court designs and did mock ups for several Universities that they state on the site "some of them are brainstorming ideas that push the envelope of court design and others are final renderings chosen by the school."  I recognized a couple floor designs o the page of renderings they did. 

https://scfwi.wordpress.com/designs/

Now they used the Fighting Hawks name and website on the designs.  You would think that UND would have had to give them the rights to use the fighting HAwks logo to mock up a design and be willing for the site to display it on their website.  This makes me thing that this was a company UND used to help them design the new court design for the Betty until the REA decided on the current "North Dakota" design we have now.  Who knows.  Maybe I should take my tinfoil hat off, but just seems odd these designs exist.

Court1.png

Court2.png

• Upvote 3

I like the bottom example with the same depth as the free throw boxes better, but with the BETTY ENGELSTAD SIOUX CENTER in white letter being the half crt, 3pt, free throw, top of key arc, free throw positioning, and etc. lines are in black. Also with this "SIOUX" in the arena name on the court with Hawks is a nice balance. Also top arena name should be upside down.

On 3/3/2020 at 7:35 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Not sure how I stumbled on this, but I found the site for Schmidt Athletic Floors.  They do court designs and did mock ups for several Universities that they state on the site "some of them are brainstorming ideas that push the envelope of court design and others are final renderings chosen by the school."  I recognized a couple floor designs o the page of renderings they did. 

https://scfwi.wordpress.com/designs/

Now they used the Fighting Hawks name and website on the designs.  You would think that UND would have had to give them the rights to use the fighting HAwks logo to mock up a design and be willing for the site to display it on their website.  This makes me thing that this was a company UND used to help them design the new court design for the Betty until the REA decided on the current "North Dakota" design we have now.  Who knows.  Maybe I should take my tinfoil hat off, but just seems odd these designs exist.

Court1.png

Court2.png

Both would have been pretty cool but I could see how the eastern border could be a problem. I’ve got the girls B on tv right now and I really do love everything about the Betty with the exception of the scorers table. Maybe it’s meant for just people in the arena to be able to read but it’s kind of maddening to not see what’s on the display. 

On 3/8/2020 at 1:59 AM, MafiaMan said:

Nice idea, but that eastern North Dakota border would never fly, nor should it.  It wouldn’t take long for a blown out of bounds call to cause concern.  

The home court advantage could be huge.

• 1 month later...