SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

5 hours ago, bison73 said:

Do you really think they check what people wear? Plus they really cant stop people from wearing stuff like this. Something in the constitution and crazy stuff like that.

5 hours ago, bison73 said:

????????????? Dean is responsible for one students shirt? In a publicly owned stadium?

Great points!  I suggest you try walking into the FargoDome for the next Bison home game in a giant pen*s costume and see if you get in.  Lemme know how that goes for ya.

#'cuz_the_Constitution

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, dakotadan said:

So is the joke supposed to be that Hawks rhymes with C*¢k$? Or am I missing what the joke is the guy was aiming for? 

The chant goes (to this day at NDSU football games) "Sioux Such Sh!t".....the picture shows a Native American Sioux supposedly sucking on sh!t (which is the UND Fighting Hawks.)

Someone one here said the back read Sioux Suck Hawk.

Devils Lake high dropped Satan nickname as it offended some Christian groups..Wahpeton high dropped Wops...this typr of shirt is certainly offensive to Native Americans, as were some shirts I saw back in the 80's depicting acts between a Bison and a cartoon of an Indian...at Memorial Stadium @ NDSU /UND football games...

we need to start somewhere to restore dignity and civility.....UND changing name and logo is a start...it'll take time, but will happen...many of a certain  age don't remember GFC Redskins!!!!!

• Downvote 2

8 hours ago, Prison_Mike said:

You're right.  With all the hillbillies in the NDSU student section its got to be difficult to regulate. 

Chris Farley U strikes again - no need to make stuff up they are a hot bed for Saturday Night Live skit material. I cannot remember the last time I saw any derogatory SU shirts at a UND event and especially one that did not involve SU  - the inferiority complex is never ending.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

The chant goes (to this day at NDSU football games) "Sioux Such Sh!t".....the picture shows a Native American Sioux supposedly sucking on sh!t (which is the UND Fighting Hawks.)

Someone one here said the back read Sioux Suck Hawk.

Try saying that fast and you'll understand what the Native American is supposed to be sucking on...

5 hours ago, dakotadan said:

So is the joke supposed to be that Hawks rhymes with C*¢k$? Or am I missing what the joke is the guy was aiming for? 

The most important part of offensive comedy is that it is "funny", this is a complete swing and a miss. It obvious that Native Americans and fighting Hawks fans should be offended but also another segment of the population must be livid and that's "comedians"

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, bison73 said:

????????????? Dean is responsible for one students shirt? In a publicly owned stadium?

I agree with you that he isn't but due to that man's (fan wearing shirt) stupidity, but it wasn't long ago that UND was called racist for non students wearing this and everyone seemed to think UND should be held responsible.  Hopefully the same !@#$ storm does not hit NDSU but all it will take is one news outlet picking up the story and you are left with below.

http://www.indianz.com/News/2014/013734.asp

The shirt is stupid and makes no sense, the guy is an idiot obviously.  Your administration getting upset about is silly though.  If they want to start making issues on stuff like this, then they should maybe require fighting sioux stuff to be turned inside out.  They should be working to change the hockey culture and get the hockey coaching staff to step up like football has with regard to the nickname.  They are obviously more worried about what happens down south than their own issues.

As for the ndsu president being responsible?  Yes, he is just as responsible for that as your president is for the recent und twitter mess and the football player behavior this week.  

1 minute ago, Herd said:

The shirt is stupid and makes no sense, the guy is an idiot obviously.  Your administration getting upset about is silly though.  If they want to start making issues on stuff like this, then they should maybe require fighting sioux stuff to be turned inside out.  They should be working to change the hockey culture and get the hockey coaching staff to step up like football has with regard to the nickname.  They are obviously more worried about what happens down south than their own issues.

As for the ndsu president being responsible?  Yes, he is just as responsible for that as your president is for the recent und twitter mess and the football player behavior this week.  

Later. 

15 minutes ago, Herd said:

So if I read that correctly, you think wearing a shirt like that, and wearing a shirt with a Sioux head on it are the same thing?

14 minutes ago, Herd said:

I agree that UND administration getting upset is, if not silly, at least not worth the energy.  UND has moved past the nickname issue (officially, not yet generally) and the Fighting Sioux name no longer officially exists. UND does not use or promote it.  Therefore the shirt in question cannot be in reference to a name that no longer exists and must reflect only the attitude that this individual has toward Native Americans in general or toward members of the Sioux Nation specifically.  If this guy wants to show off his blatant racism at the same time that he mindlessly fawns over the NDSU football program, then that is his problem and the problem of NDSU.  The University of North Dakota should not be concerned about how others approach the Sioux name because it is not connected to them.  Why this guy so obviously hates Native Americans is beyond me - I'm just happy he has nothing ill to say about the University of North Dakota.

• Upvote 1

If I try to think in an unbiased manner, a part of me recognizes that if we are able to get upset and call racism because it's not just a logo representing a school but is actually representing a group of people also, the school is partly to blame for having a logo that represents said people. 

29 minutes ago, Herd said:

Our administration was likely asked about it and had to give some response.  A "no comment" would have not worked.  You are acting as though UND called the Forun to talk about it.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Herd said:

Too stupid, didn't read

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Herd said:

7 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

So if I read that correctly, you think wearing a shirt like that, and wearing a shirt with a Sioux head on it are the same thing?

Good grief, you are all starting to sound like an old couple. "How can I turn this into an argument, and if it doesn't work, I'll argue it anyway".

Was the shirt stupid, Yes. Have other fans acknowledged the stupidity of the shirt, Yes. 

Is it comparable to wearing a Sioux shirt, No. Is it comparable to wearing the "F&@! the NCAA" shirts that were floating around the Ralph several years ago, Yes, they could be put in that same categories.

Does NDSU have some idiot student. Of course. Does UND have some idiot students. Of Course

...... See where I'm going with this? All teams have players who get into trouble (not acceptable, but a fact). All Schools have students who are morons (not acceptable, but a fact). All media outlets, are going to report stories like the t-shirt, the arrest, etc, and ask the administration questions. (It is what the media does). All administrative members are going to responds with a politically correct tone, not condoning insensitive behavior (It is was administrative people to in today's world). We're all pretty similar in many regards, so if we break it down, it becomes us bickering over who's institution has the lesser of the morons.

For what its worth, I'm sure NDSU officials weren't exactly thrilled to see that picture plastered all over in association with their school name. Even more so, I'm sure the kids parent weren't thrilled either. I'd be having a talk with my son about what is funny and what is just stupid. 

Bottom line, the shirt speak volumes more about the character of the kid, than the character of the University.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, Northcountry said:

I agree that UND administration getting upset is, if not silly, at least not worth the energy.  UND has moved past the nickname issue (officially, not yet generally) and the Fighting Sioux name no longer officially exists. UND does not use or promote it.  Therefore the shirt in question cannot be in reference to a name that no longer exists and must reflect only the attitude that this individual has toward Native Americans in general or toward members of the Sioux Nation specifically.  If this guy wants to show off his blatant racism at the same time that he mindlessly fawns over the NDSU football program, then that is his problem and the problem of NDSU.  The University of North Dakota should not be concerned about how others approach the Sioux name because it is not connected to them.  Why this guy so obviously hates Native Americans is beyond me - I'm just happy he has nothing ill to say about the University of North Dakota.

He illegally used a trademarked UND logo in association with a racist depiction of a Native American.  UND admin can show a little concern, especially since ndsu gets a pass on all the racist acts perpetrated by its students while UND's incidents become national news.

• Upvote 1

Should be easy to ID and contact this clown - definitely trademark infringement and if printed locally there is a trail to follow. Also if he is a student even though he is protected by free speech the school should have rules that address this with repercussions and there should be plenty of outcry from the Fargo public, perhaps some from Cannon Ball can make a run up to Fargo and set up camp on campus.

2 hours ago, SiouxBoys said:

That shirt in the Fargodome is offensive imo.  In others opinion, wearing fighting Sioux gear is offensive.   Who is to say what's offensive, you?  Und president?  I'm pretty sure offensive is in the eye of the beholder.

• Downvote 1