SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

When the ND State Legislature meets in January, there will be some very serious discussions regarding funding on higher education. ND's 2 largest economies are still not doing very well, and until prices go up for oil and farm commodities the state will not have the funds like they used to for higher education.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

When the ND State Legislature meets in January, there will be some very serious discussions regarding funding on higher education. ND's 2 largest economies are still not doing very well, and until prices go up for oil and farm commodities the state will not have the funds like they used to for higher education.

The budget will be compressed some but even if there is money galore in the state coffers none will be used for sports complexes or expansions.  This is ND

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Milford torgerson said:

The budget will be compressed some but even if there is money galore in the state coffers none will be used for sports complexes or expansions.  This is ND

I was going more in the other direction with my comments, like the Mayville's could be closed with more cuts to higher ed.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I was going more in the other direction with my comments, like the Mayville's could be closed with more cuts to higher ed.

Back in 1998, there was a measure on the ballot to take colleges and universities out of the State Constitution. People read that as making it easier to shut down campuses. It was voted down by a huge margin. Any Legislator who even proposes that will be committing political suicide.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

As a Wyoming grad and fan, I'd be thrilled to go .500 this year.  :D

To be fair, they do seem to be making progress under Craig Bohl. They hung with with Nebraska until the 4th quarter. But I think a North Dakota FBS team would have some of the same problems Wyoming has (geography, climate) that make it hard to get kids to commit to going to school and play football there.

• Upvote 1

There's been record crops from Texas to Nebraska. Large inventories of commodities. These commodity prices are in a three year low and lower this year than in the last two.

Oil has it's large inventories and also at low prices. This could take a few years for ND to get financially healthy again. Some hard decisions will have to be made by the legislature.

From Iowa-  is Iowa a good team or a 2-3 team in their last 5 games?  In those 5- Beat a MAC team and Iowa St.  Grinded but lost a snooze Fest to Michigan St., were man handled by Stanford, and controlled by SU.

Iowa tried playing their style of football, which NDSU plays that same style way better than them.

10 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

From Iowa-  is Iowa a good team or a 2-3 team in their last 5 games?  In those 5- Beat a MAC team and Iowa St.  Grinded but lost a snooze Fest to Michigan St., were man handled by Stanford, and controlled by SU.

Iowa tried playing their style of football, which NDSU plays that same style way better than them.

You are right, Iowa is probably a middle of the road G5 team. Hell, Bowling Green would have been a tougher test. Maybe those voters in the AP Top 25 poll got confused and actually were voting of the UND Fighting Hawks instead of NDSU...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

21 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

To be fair, they do seem to be making progress under Craig Bohl. They hung with with Nebraska until the 4th quarter. But I think a North Dakota FBS team would have some of the same problems Wyoming has (geography, climate) that make it hard to get kids to commit to going to school and play football there.

I don't think they are struggling in recruiting right now and are good enough to beat some P5 teams. If they did move up I could see them having more success than Wyoming but some of us remember the amount of Bison faithful before their championship runs.

Iowa is a good team. Possibly not top 20 but they flat out choked against a good fundamental Bison team.

Just read the DeLuca has to have season ending surgery. Bison or not, that sucks for a kid like that. Hopefully he can heal up and still have a shot in the NFL. Not sure how high he was projected, but hopefully it doesn't hurt is stock too bad. Hate to see injuries ever end a kids season like that.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Just read the DeLuca has to have season ending surgery. Bison or not, that sucks for a kid like that. Hopefully he can heal up and still have a shot in the NFL. Not sure how high he was projected, but hopefully it doesn't hurt is stock too bad. Hate to see injuries ever end a kids season like that.

I believe he will be granted a medical redshirt and return next season.