SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I highly doubt it is going to be Dale Lennon and does anyone really believe he's going to come back to Grand Forks to be a position coach? If you're looking at SIU, a more likely scenario would actually be someone from Lennon's staff that Bubba would be familiar with. Maybe someone like this guy?

Nope. It's Les Miles.

I agree Dale Lennon is highly unlikely, but you also have to look at possible ulterior motives. I know his name has been thrown around as a potential future AD. Maybe taking a job back here would just be a step in that direction. Tough to know what the guys is thinking he wants to do. He could take a HC job at a lower level. Take a year off, and then see what jobs are open. Bottom line is the guy has some flexibility as to what he can do going forward. If It were Dale, I would be extremely pleased.

Regardless of who they do hire, it sounds like they will get someone with quite a bit of experience. Add that into the mix with some of our current young players and our incoming recruits, and we should continue to see some nice improvement.

• Upvote 1

In addition to the coaching situation, I'd like to get some opinions on who people expect to be big contributors next year as Redshirt Freshman.

Carl Engwall -  Lakeville kid. Lots of positive things said after he was recruited, not sure how he looked last season though.

Mason Bennett - Sounded like he was hurt most of last season. Anyone know what type of injury? I remember this being a pretty good recruit out of Canada.

Tim Dulin - I've only hear good things. Sounds like he has put in a lot of hard work and added some weight. Hopefully a go to guy for Studs.

Keelan Poole - Had't heard much about Keelan last year. I feel like this was a pretty good recruit to land, but I don't remember too many details.

Vashon Tucker - Didn't hear to much about him last year, but I remember that this was a nice recruit to land. Had some FBS offers.

Jade Lawrence - Heard he was a really good at Moorhead. Do we expect him to play much next season, or more so in a year or two.

Austin Gordon - Heard a lot of positive things about this kid from the past year. With a deep RB group, its hard to say how much he will see the field, so he'll have to make the most of limited time. I'm sure if he impresses the coaches, they will find a way to get him in the mix.

Also, with Colton Boas gone, who is projected to play Center?

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

In addition to the coaching situation, I'd like to get some opinions on who people expect to be big contributors next year as Redshirt Freshman.

Carl Engwall -  Lakeville kid. Lots of positive things said after he was recruited, not sure how he looked last season though.

Mason Bennett - Sounded like he was hurt most of last season. Anyone know what type of injury? I remember this being a pretty good recruit out of Canada.

Tim Dulin - I've only hear good things. Sounds like he has put in a lot of hard work and added some weight. Hopefully a go to guy for Studs.

Keelan Poole - Had't heard much about Keelan last year. I feel like this was a pretty good recruit to land, but I don't remember too many details.

Vashon Tucker - Didn't hear to much about him last year, but I remember that this was a nice recruit to land. Had some FBS offers.

Jade Lawrence - Heard he was a really good at Moorhead. Do we expect him to play much next season, or more so in a year or two.

Austin Gordon - Heard a lot of positive things about this kid from the past year. With a deep RB group, its hard to say how much he will see the field, so he'll have to make the most of limited time. I'm sure if he impresses the coaches, they will find a way to get him in the mix.

My boy Aplin would look good at either center or guard.

On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 9:44 AM, siouxfan512 said:

I think Poole will be a good one before its all said and done. High motor impact player that loves to get after the QB but has speed to be highly effective in coverage.

On December 30, 2015 at 5:41 PM, ClassB said:

Per millers update on Twitter and his blog, it sounds like he thought they had someone in mind for the job when he posted it. Possibly Lennon then? 

That would be quite the pay cut. BTW, doesn't $42,000 sound kind of low for a full time assistant coach? I don't think there is anyway you get one with 8 years D1 experience at that pay level. 

42 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

That would be quite the pay cut. BTW, doesn't $42,000 sound kind of low for a full time assistant coach? I don't think there is anyway you get one with 8 years D1 experience at that pay level. 

That is the minimum salary so there is potential for higher pay. They wouldn't have set the minimum qualifications that high if they didn't know they could get someone. 

On 1/3/2016 at 10:38 AM, UNDBIZ said:

That is the minimum salary so there is potential for higher pay. They wouldn't have set the minimum qualifications that high if they didn't know they could get someone. 

Got it. I have no idea what assistants at the FCS level make, but I would have guessed it would be in the 100-125k range for coordinators and 50-75k range for position coaches. 

28 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

So how were the DB's at SIU?  Is this a coach that is good at developing players?

He's been the LBs coach for the past couple seasons, but it appears the DBs were good under his direction prior to that move. http://www.siusalukis.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/stepps_travis00.html

In 2010, Lindsey received the FCS Elite Defensive Back Award from the College Football Performance Awards, recognizing him as the top performer at the cornerback position based upon his cumulative performance among all Division I FCS cornerbacks in 2008 and 2009. In addition to those awards, Lindsey was a finalist in 2010 for the Buck Buchanan Award that goes to the top defensive player in the FCS. Under Stepps' tutelage, Lindsey was a three-time All-MVFC selection and finished his career ranked third in school history in career interceptions (14) and ninth in pass breakups (16).

Stepps' secondaries have ranked among the nation's leaders in interceptions. In 2009, the Saluki defense was second nationally with 23 picks. In 2008, Southern ranked 22nd with 16 interceptions. The Salukis have also returned 12 interceptions for touchdowns in the past six seasons under Stepps' watch. SIU ranked No. 3 in the conference in interceptions in 2011.

6 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Did Grady come back after Christmas break?  I understand someone else was criticized last month for raising the issue, but there was legitimate concern.

That would be a tough on to take.  As a true freshman he was likely one of the top players on our roster. 

45 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Did Grady come back after Christmas break?  I understand someone else was criticized last month for raising the issue, but there was legitimate concern.

First day of classes was today, so this should come out pretty quickly.