SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

36 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

You are correct.  The team's success will be dictated by the progression or lackthereof up front on offense, more than it normally would.  I feel so much better about the rest of the team overall than I have in a while, but offensive line play will make or break the success of the team next season.  There is a TON of work to do there right now.  I hope everyone is ready to step up.  Here's my list of importance regarding improving and developing over spring and fall ball:

1. OL
2. CB (time for Deion and Tyus to make the jump)
3. ILB
4. Safety (opposite of Cole, will Arnell be ready?)
5. QB (in the event of an injury, is Heidlebaugh ready to step up?)

USD will be a handful next fall.

Our qb situation really scares me right now.  Really like Studsrud  but he's prone to injury as he is a running qb and has an almost completely new line in front of him

Bartles is Bartles. If the unfortunate is to happen and he's needed, maybe being a senior will light a fire under him.  Idk?

heidlebaugh is the big question mark.  I know he's an athlete but is he d1 ready?  Like his combination of size and athletism,  hope it translates to being a great qb at und .

No scholarship qb in this years class.   Not happy at all with that.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, sioux24/7 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this but what are peoples thoughts on Danny Freund? Currently the RBs coach was the WR coach does he have the potential to be our OC one day? I really like him and he seems to be a really solid recruiter.

Currently WR coach. Used to be the RB coach.

7 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

You are just excited for next Wednesday.

I think we all are. I'll feel much better when these commitments have actually signed.

Really hope most, if not all, intend to be on campus at the beginning of the summer. I think that is absolutely critical.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this but what are peoples thoughts on Danny Freund? Currently the WR coach was the RB coach does he have the potential to be our OC one day? I really like him and he seems to be a really solid recruiter.

I think he would be. Time will tell. Other former players that have been coordinaters here I haven't had such a good feeling about. He seems like a pretty smooth character that could handle a OC job.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, bang said:

I think he would be. Time will tell. Other former players that have been coordinaters here I haven't had such a good feeling about. He seems like a pretty smooth character that could handle a OC job.  

He absolutely bleeds green and white. I'm becoming a big fan of his.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Do you guys think Heidelbaugh would be ready if studsrud got hurt or would we have to go to bartles

I honestly do not think even UND's coaches know the answer to that. Heidlebaugh will have to (hopefully) convince the coaches during spring ball and fall camp that he's improved enough to be the backup. Let's all hope he has improved, because Bartels just didn't get the job done last year.

37 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I honestly do not think even UND's coaches know the answer to that. Heidlebaugh will have to (hopefully) convince the coaches during spring ball and fall camp that he's improved enough to be the backup. Let's all hope he has improved, because Bartels just didn't get the job done last year.

I like Heidlebaughs size and athleticism, like you said hopefully he improved and can become the backup because I don't want to try the bartles experiment again...

24 minutes ago, shep said:

I asked this at SFI and it may have been discussed here, but which redshirts from this year step up especially with the possibility of some of today's signees playing right away?

I'd say Holm, perhaps Canady, one of the OL will get pulled by necessity and Cloyd if an injury occurs at TE. 

14 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Redshirts.   I would say bennet.  He looks very athletic and ready. 

It's hard to say. Such a tough position to geuss which one is going to catch on the quickest. Athleticism only gets you so far. You can get a guy that can fly down the line and pull on a sweep but he better be able to know what linebacker he needs to pick up on a blitz or else he's better off on the bench. Helgren certainly has the physical attributes to take that step though. 

43 minutes ago, bang said:

It's hard to say. Such a tough position to geuss which one is going to catch on the quickest. Athleticism only gets you so far. You can get a guy that can fly down the line and pull on a sweep but he better be able to know what linebacker he needs to pick up on a blitz or else he's better off on the bench. Helgren certainly has the physical attributes to take that step though. 

I love Helgren, buts he's asking about redshirt freshman not true freshman.

I also like carl engwall as he displayed the nasty.  He has a mean streak to go along with his first step and burst.  The d line will be fantastic for years to come! 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

I love Helgren, buts he's asking about redshirt freshman not true freshman.

I also like carl engwall as he displayed the nasty.  He has a mean streak to go along with his first step and burst.  The d line will be fantastic for years to come! 

My bad I miss read that. Red shirts, I'd say Engwall, Bennett and Rooney. 

Btw, we talk a lot about the TE position with Cloyd in the convo, but I'm thinking Molberg is going to shine. Dude is a DUDE and a great athlete. I look forward to the twice a year pass/lateral to him as he fires a bomb downfield to Iwari for the TD.

• Upvote 4