SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

18 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I think getting stomped by NDSU was the best thing to happen to our team last year. It showed how far we had to go to be #1 and seemed to keep our guys in check after the FBS win. 

Most of us knew where we were compared to the AC before the game.  That is why I didn't  wish to play them until the playoffs.  I think there is a reasonable chance we could have played them had we gotten by round one of the playoffs, and won another FCS game instead of playing them. We were a better team at the end of the year as some pointed out. We couldn't run a lick against the AC and Studsrud was terrible when we played them.  At the end of the year he was playing the best FB of his short career and our running game was clicking. I get the argument for having been overlooked for the playoffs.  I just don't think there is any point in complaining we got screwed by the committee when we didn't do what we needed to do. 

I think we are moving forward and my comment was we should focus on next year and the things we can control so we don't have anything like that to complain about next year.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Most of us knew where we were compared to the AC before the game.  That is why I didn't  wish to play them until the playoffs.  I think there is a reasonable chance we could have played them had we gotten by round one of the playoffs, and won another FCS game instead of playing them. We were a better team at the end of the year as some pointed out. We couldn't run a lick against the AC and Studsrud was terrible when we played them.  At the end of the year he was playing the best FB of his short career and our running game was clicking. I get the argument for having been overlooked for the playoffs.  I just don't think there is any point in complaining we got screwed by the committee when we didn't do what we needed to do. 

I think we are moving forward and my comment was we should focus on next year and the things we can control so we don't have anything like that to complain about next year.

Well Santiago did only have four carries against NDSU after having a case of fumblitis and running into his lineman in the Drake game. Would have been a different game against NDSU had he gotten more carries because quite frankly UND's offense couldn't have been worse in that game. 

4 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Well Santiago did only have four carries against NDSU after having a case of fumblitis and running into his lineman in the Drake game. Would have been a different game against NDSU had he gotten more carries because quite frankly UND's offense couldn't have been worse in that game. 

???

10 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

???

You constantly monitor this board or what? NDSU didn't take UNDs best player out of the game, he did it to himself the week before by making true freshman mistakes fumbling three times and ending with 14 carries for 24 yards. Just saying it would have been a better game had Santiago gotten a few more touches, but UND still wasn't sure what they had in him by the third game into his career. I never said UND would have won. 

Just now, forksandspoons said:

You constantly monitor this board or what? NDSU didn't take UNDs best player out of the game, he did it to himself the week before by making true freshman mistakes fumbling three times and ending with 14 carries for 24 yards. Just saying it would have been a better game had Santiago gotten a few more touches, but UND still wasn't sure what they had in him by the third game into his career. I never said UND would have won. 

I find it interesting that someone who responded to my post 5 minutes after I posted it is questioning my constant monitoring of the board("But it's a UND board and you're an NDSU fan")

"Would have been a different game if Santiago got more carries" This quote implies the outcome would have been somehow closer if he had more carries. We'll agree to disagree about Santiago's ability to impact the game that day.

13 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I find it interesting that someone who responded to my post 5 minutes after I posted it is questioning my constant monitoring of the board("But it's a UND board and you're an NDSU fan")

"Would have been a different game if Santiago got more carries" This quote implies the outcome would have been somehow closer if he had more carries. We'll agree to disagree about Santiago's ability to impact the game that day.

You quoted me less than 5 minutes after I posted and I received a notification for it. 

1 minute ago, forksandspoons said:

You quoted me less than 5 minutes after I posted and I received a notification for it. 

What's your point? This is the internet age spoons, It takes literally 2 seconds for me to click to another tab on my internet browser. Not like I have to go out of my way to make my daily internet rounds.

Care to elaborate on how Santiago would have impacted the outcome on that day if he had more carries?

• Downvote 1

I love the #leavenoboubt mantra for a motivational tool for next season. 

I remember after the 2000 season, the summer and winter workout manuals for the team had a photo in it of the scoreboard for the last game at Memorial Stadium against Augustana that read 35-23. 

Little reminders like that can do wonders for a hungry team.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

What's your point? This is the internet age spoons, It takes literally 2 seconds for me to click to another tab on my internet browser. Not like I have to go out of my way to make my daily internet rounds.

Care to elaborate on how Santiago would have impacted the outcome on that day if he had more carries?

Best player + more touches = better results. 

5 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Best player + more touches = better results. 

As has been pointed out by others, Santiago wasn't the same player at the beginning of the season compared to the end. Secondly, the offensive line was getting pushed 3-4 yards into the backfield on nearly every play. UND could have had anyone they wanted play running back that day and probably would have had very little success. The further that game gets in the past it seems the more UND fans forget how big of a drubbing took place in the fargodome that day. If I recall the stats correctly I believe that was close to the worst offensive performance ndsu had ever played against. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

As has been pointed out by others, Santiago wasn't the same player at the beginning of the season compared to the end. Secondly, the offensive line was getting pushed 3-4 yards into the backfield on nearly every play. UND could have had anyone they wanted play running back that day and probably would have had very little success. The further that game gets in the past it seems the more UND fans forget how big of a drubbing took place in the fargodome that day. If I recall the stats correctly I believe that was close to the worst offensive performance ndsu had ever played against. 

What are you getting at?

53 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

What are you getting at?

Her post was full of static and came across as moo talk.  If i had to a stab at it,  it's sounds like she meant to say that when Grady was installed as a starter (week 7) and when the entire o line had finally started to gel that they were pushing d lines back, opening up lanes for buses to drive through.  That's what I get it out of it . And shes right.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

How many fan boards do you monitor?  I'm guessing at least 10.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

2016 holds promise of a run at the conference title.  The coaches and players should be preparing for that and that also means a run at the FCS title.  If that isn't our mindset we shouldn't be at this level.  As fans we need to fill the seats and our administrators need to work to improve the game day experience for our students and fans.  Our media folks also need to increase coverage of our athletic teams without cutting back on what we do for our local high school teams.  Focus on what we can control and do. 

Agreed.

If UND wants to be a top FCS program, they (both the program and the supporters) need to expect a conference championship each and every season. That is what NDSU and Montana (a couple of the top FCS programs in the country) expect every season. For awhile, the transition and coaching change was used as a convenient excuse. Now, however, after a 7-4 season that could have been 9-2 with only a few more positive plays for UND, its time to expect consistent success. That goes for all aspects of the program; I expect the football program to be a top competitor within the FCS from here on out, and the UND athletics administration needs to support it as such by promoting the program and the gameday experience. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

I actually think the stage was too big for Santiago, and a lot of our players that day. There were many times where there was a hole to run to or through but the ball carrier got happy feet and plunged straight into the OL and DL. There were some big gains to be had if the RBs had calmed down and used their vision. That said a lot of our guys weren't ready for that level of play or atmosphere. That's why I'm happy we did it. They'll never be that overwhelmed again. They'll be prepared and hungry next time.

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

He probably wouldn't have.  The oline was dominated by the dline, our QB couldn't hit a fat pig in the butt with a mop, and so the defense wasn't  worried about the passing game.  We weren't ready to play the AC. I think we would have been better prepared had we made the playoffs, but it seems most or many disagree with me.

We have a ways to go but we are getting better.  We had a good recruiting year again.  Still need to improve the passing game and maintain the improvement in the run game and continue to improve the oline play. . Keep checking the rear view mirror.  We will get there.

• Upvote 1