SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

4 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I forget....did Stony Brook have a good defense last game we played them?  How about this year?

Stony Brook has a great defense.

last season they ranked national;

11th in Rush defense

#1 in Total defense

#7 in Red Zone

#2 in team sacks

#5 in passing yards allowed

#6 in scoring defense.

We have our work cut out for us.  This will be an important test.

19 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I forget....did Stony Brook have a good defense last game we played them?  How about this year?

I posted the below info back in December on our first few games. It was a slow day at work, haha.

Ok, I got tired of moping about the fact that we were completely snubbed from the playoffs, so I decided to take a look at our non-conference schedule for next season. A lot to be determined before then, and there will certainly be some new faces in the mix for UND as well as our opponents, but here it is. I see UND starting out 2-1 in the non-conference schedule, but if the 2015 season taught us anything, surprises can happen. So maybe with a grade A performance, we can pick up another (and this time quality) FBS win. Feel free to pick this apart and comment, but hopefully it makes a good read for those of us who need some football material to read in lieu of missing the playoffs.

Stony Brook (5-5)(3-5 conf.)

Finished 10th in the Colonial Athletic Conference

Last meeting was 2014 in Grand Forks; UND won 13-3

Key Win:

• Beat New Hampshire  31-6 (giving them more wins against playoff teams than E. Illinois J )

Key Departures:

• QB Conor Bednarski
  • DL Victor Ochi (12 solo sacks, 2 assisted sacks, 14 solo TFL, 5 assisted TFL)

Rankings within CAA

• Scoring - 7th - 17.3 PPG
  • Rushing – 7th – 152.7 YPG
  • Passing – 9th – 148.1 YPG
  • Scoring D – 1st – 15.7 PPG
  • Rushing D – 1st – 104.6 YPG (Stony Brook, meet John Santiago)
  • Passing D – 1st – 145.5 YPG

This really shouldn’t be much of a contest. Stony Brook’s strength is their defense, but if our offense can emerge like we did late this season, then UND should roll by halftime. Hopefully that is the case, because if you lose a game like this, you are already a long to make the playoffs. SB will probably stop some drives, but it looks like their offense continues to be anemic. UND needs to open up a heavy lead, and then start trying some different things to prep for the following week.

Bowling Green (9-3) (7-1 conf.)

Finished 1st in the Mid-American Conference – East (Plays N Illinois this weekend for conference championship)

Won 2 games vs Big 10 (Maryland and Purdue)

Key Departures:

• QB Matt Johnson (4465 Yds, 41 TDs,
  • RB Travis Greene (1036 Yds,  12 TDs)
  • DB Dernard Turner (4 int, 1 TD)

Key Returning Players:

• WR Gehrig Dieter (82 Rec, 882 Yds, 9 TDs)
  • WR Roger Lewis (76 Rec, 1401 Yds, 14 TDs) (Hi Roger, I’d like you to meet Cole Reyes J )
  • WR Ronnie Moore (62 Rec, 818 Yds, 5 TDs)
  • DB Alfonso Mack (5 int)

Rankings withing MAC

• Scoring – 1st – 44.2 PPG
  • Rushing – 5th – 178.2 YPG
  • Passing – 1st – 387.8 YPG
  • Scoring D – 8th – 27.8 PPG
  • Rushing D – 7th – 166.2 YPG
  • Passing D – 11th – 255.2 YPG

This will be a much bigger test than playing Wyoming. Fortunately, BGSU will be losing a monster of a QB, as well as their senior RB. Unfortunately, BGSU will likely start James Knapke (6-2, 237) at QB, and he will have several dangerous receivers still on the roster. Knapke took over for an injured Matt Johnson in 2014, and threw for 3173 yards and 15 TDs. It is also worth noting that while BGSU loses starting RB Travis Green, they will still have Fred Coppet who still rushed for just over 700 yards 4 TDs. His average per carry was actually slightly better than Greene, and without Will Ratelle on the field, our linebackers will need to step up (Hopefully Taj Rich comes back really strong).

I don’t think BGSU will be as good next year as they were this year, but they will still be a very strong team. Probably not a game you expect to win, but definitely need to be competitive, and if the defense plays well, and our offense is clicking, then who knows. Santiago can always be a game changer and Oliveira will only get better. If Keaton starts next season where he left off, then there is certainly potential in this matchup. Needless to say, this would be UNDs biggest win at the D1 level if they could pull it off.

South Dakota (5-6) (3-5 conf.)

Finished 7th in the dreaded MVFC and somehow was not included in the  2015 FCS Playoffs (Rumor is next year all MVFC teams will get an auto bid)

Key Wins:

• Beat NDSU in Fargo 24-21

Key Departures:

• Coach Joe Glenn
  • WR Eric Shufford (45 Rec, 470 Yds, 2 TDs)
  • LB Keyen Lage (50 solo tackles, 34 assisted, 10 solo TFL, 1 assisted TFL)

Key Returning Players:

• QB Ryan Saeger (1984 yds, 12 TDs)
  • WR B Van Roekel (33 Rec, 518 Yds, 6TDs)
  •  A Van Ginkel (9 solo sacks, 17 solo TFL, 2 assisted TFL)

Rankings within MVFC

• Scoring –  9th – 21 PPG
  • Rushing – 7th – 165.7 YPG
  • Passing – 7th – 183.7 YPG
  • Scoring D – 6th – 25.5 PPG
  • Rushing D – 4th – 159.8 YPG
  • Passing D – 3rd – 184.7 YPG

My first inclination is that regardless of score, or how many points UND can rack up, the win (and an automatic playoff spot) should go to USD, purely for having the grapes to be a part of the amazing MVFC (sense the sarcasm). In reality, this is a very winnable game for UND, especially at home. Though USD has certainly shown they can play spoiler, go ask about it on bisonville, I dare you. This game is winnable, but will be a good measuring stick. While USD is not a top team right now, they are very capable, and they do play in a tough conference. I still take UND at home.

2 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Stony Brook has a great defense.

last season they ranked national;

11th in Rush defense

#1 in Total defense

#7 in Red Zone

#2 in team sacks

#5 in passing yards allowed

#6 in scoring defense.

We have our work cut out for us.  This will be an important test.

If you guys remember it became a running joke that the Stony Brook defense was comparable to the '85 Bears, or even better.  It was good, but our offensive execution and play calling was abysmal, too. We ran 26 'dive' plays in a row I recall.  SB could play us tough but I expect to win this game.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

If you guys remember it became a running joke that the Stony Brook defense was comparable to the '85 Bears, or even better.  It was good, but our offensive execution and play calling was abysmal, too. We ran 26 'dive' plays in a row I recall.  SB could play us tough but I expect to win this game.

At least Will Tye (Florida State transfer, current New York Giant) has graduated. He was a dude. 6'3", 260lbs, sub 4.5 40 and he was returning punts. Up there as one of the best all-around athletes to play in the Alerus Center.

Just now, jdub27 said:

At least Will Tye (Florida State transfer, current New York Giant) has graduated. He was a dude. 6'3", 260lbs, sub 4.5 40 returning punts. Up there as one of the best all-around athletes to play in the Alerus Center.

I was wondering what happened to that guy.  He was an incredible athlete.  If I was them, he would have gotten every play.  

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

At least Will Tye (Florida State transfer, current New York Giant) has graduated. He was a dude. 6'3", 260lbs, sub 4.5 40 and he was returning punts. Up there as one of the best all-around athletes to play in the Alerus Center.

I believe they also had Marcus Coker, an Iowa transfer at RB, who was pretty hyped.  Not really sure what happened to him after college as I don't think he made the pros.

1 minute ago, RapidSioux said:

Have they announced when Homecoming will be in 16'? Looking to finally get back to a game and trying to plan ahead (trying to be productive at work on a Monday).

Thanks

Southern Utah on October 15th.  Should be a really good game.  

Love the #leavenodoubt attitude.  These guys are pissed off and motivated and should be.  But lets not leave it in the hands of the committee that came up with the "quality loss" criteria.

I am already jacked up for the team and the staff.  Bring on spring ball in 24 days.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Love the #leavenodoubt attitude.  These guys are pissed off and motivated and should be.  But lets not leave it in the hands of the committee that came up with the "quality loss" criteria.

I am already jacked up for the team and the staff.  Bring on spring ball in 24 days.

If our OL is figured out by the end of spring ball we should be a team on a mission. If not we may struggle on o. I have faith in Knapf.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

If our OL is figured out by the end of spring ball we should be a team on a mission. If not we may struggle on o. I have faith in Knapf.

Knapf, need the O-line to not have a drop off in 2016.

Stepps, most talent we've had in the secondary, have to do better against spread and passing attacks.  Need to find a nickel/dime package where we can trust more secondary guys on the field. 

17 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

2016 holds promise of a run at the conference title.  The coaches and players should be preparing for that and that also means a run at the FCS title.  If that isn't our mindset we shouldn't be at this level.  As fans we need to fill the seats and our administrators need to work to improve the game day experience for our students and fans.  Our media folks also need to increase coverage of our athletic teams without cutting back on what we do for our local high school teams.  Focus on what we can control and do. 

Couldn't agree with you more. I have been saying this ever since we decided to move up to Division I.

5 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

I don't recall anybody saying UND would have won the national championship and were ready to beat the best.  Most said UND should have gotten in the playoffs as one of the best 24 teams in the country.  Then, hope for the best.   

This is my line of thinking as well. Hopefully in 2016 we #LeaveNoDoubt

• Upvote 3