SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

I remember a couple of months ago somebody posing the question back then, should UND win (which seemed a lot less likely a month or so ago) what would NDSU's excuse be.........Bad referee calls, injuries, they played poorly and had lots of turnovers..........or would they actually say we out played them.  I just laughed when I read that, you know there will be excuses galore and would never admit we just beat them straight up.  It sure would be nice to pull of that upset.  

Anybody hear if Wentz is going to play this weekend or rest his ankle?

Yeah, that was me. I definitely think, there will be a heavy load of excuses, IF we pull of the upset, but there will definitely be a crowd that will give credit where credit is due. Not all of there fans are bad.

As much as I am looking forward to UND/Drake this weekend (good opportunity for us to make a statement and cleanup our game a bit), I am interested to see how the Bison bounce back against Weber St.

So glad football is back and can't wait for the 19th!

I remember a couple of months ago somebody posing the question back then, should UND win (which seemed a lot less likely a month or so ago) what would NDSU's excuse be.........Bad referee calls, injuries, they played poorly and had lots of turnovers..........or would they actually say we out played them.  I just laughed when I read that, you know there will be excuses galore and would never admit we just beat them straight up.  It sure would be nice to pull of that upset.  

Anybody hear if Wentz is going to play this weekend or rest his ankle?

He is starting tomorrow.

Not trolling or trash talk. Looking for legitimate discussion.

Since it's been brought up how NDSU fans might react to UND winning the matchup.

I'm curious how UND fans would respond to the opposite. What would you all think about the state of the program if NDSU wins in a blowout.

I have seen enough games in this rivalry that a surprise blow up can happen.  If it does it does.  But I really think this will be very competitive and back and forth.  Something like the game Kleinsasser scored on a fantastic catch and run.  The game looked like a blow out but changed quickly. 

Edited by Nodak78

Since it's been brought up how NDSU fans might react to UND winning the matchup.

I'm curious how UND fans would respond to the opposite. What would you all think about the state of the program if NDSU wins in a blowout.

I'd be disappointed. Yet, UND is playing at the 4 time defending champs barn. Don't be mistaken a blowout is not going to be an acceptable outcome for any SIOUX fan. 

Disappointed, but not completely shocked. I would still think our program has taken a step in the right direction, with the way we handled Wyoming.

Regardless of who wins, UND fans have much less that we can trash talk about. NDSU fans can talk about our program being garbage, based on the previous several years. While there is no denying the success that NDSU has had recently.

I'm hoping for a close, competitive, and entertaining game. Really hoping our defense can keep doing what they are doing. If something goes wrong, and we get smoked then so be it. As a fan, we can only hope the team learns from it, and moves on to the next week. Losing any game is disappointing, getting completely blown out would be even tougher. That being said, as much as I want us to win the rematch, there is still a long season ahead and a lot of tough Big Sky teams we need to beat. Eyes would still be set on playoffs.

I going to assume our fan base's reaction to a win or loss, would be similar to the NDSU fan base. There will be some people who can take it for what it is, and there will be some sore losers.

Edited by siouxfan512

We need to see if the team that got bounced by 30 points last season vs. Missouri St has improved.  Also, how is a young UND team going to handle playing in what will likely be the loudest environment the Fargodome has seen in the regular season?   If a blowout happens, there will be some that need to be talked off the ledge and some are able to see it as a non conference game with a team sitting at 2-1 heading into conference play.  I'm not sure where I'd fall yet.

If UND loses I want to see how they played during the loss.  Was it sound football or did they make stupid mistakes and turn the ball over?  Did they get beat down at the line of scrimmage by NDSU and not show what we saw against Wyoming?  

If they play a good game but lose I will not be all that mad.  If they play poorly and get blown out I will be very disappointed.

UND is an unranked team playing the defending NC's.  That needs to be factored in.

Edited by UND1983

Based on the games and performances by both teams thus far, UND could, and maybe even should play NDSU tough.  So if we get blown out 1) We didn't play well or 2) NDSU is that much better than us and it would probably be some combination of both.  I'd be more disappointed if we got smoked because of mistakes and stupid turnovers as compared to playing a more talented team.

If the coaching strategy and execution by the team is at the level it was against Wyoming and UND still gets blown out, then my I will definitely tip my hat to NDSU and congratulate their fans on my way out of the FargoLoaf on their likely upcoming 5th straight title because it would be a pretty significant and surprising improvement from game 1 if that happens.  If UND gets blown out because of poor coaching and poor execution, I'll be disappointed on UND laying an egg after looking like things had turned the corner last week against Wyoming (which they definitely still left a lot of room for improvement despite the fairly dominant victory). 

What I don't want to see is something similar to Missouri St. last year where a game that was relatively close snowballs into a complete disaster because of untimely, self-inflicted mistakes. I think our defense is significantly better than last year and has the capability of making some game changing plays and our offense is nowhere near where it was at the beginning of last year, and that is a good thing.

Thanks for the info. 

News said OL Johnson is out for a while, what happened with him?

Is the cornerback back?..Shepard is it?

Johnson has a fracture in his foot. Out 4-6 weeks. We are starting 3 inexperienced lineman tomorrow. Dont know what the other two injuries are.

Ever hear of the saying "Don't rest on your laurels"?

Maybe they should print that out and post it in the Burger King break room for you and your buddies?  

It's pretty hard for a team to "rest on its laurels" as it hangs its fourth consecutive championship banner. At any rate, it's obviously not a "rough time" for NDSU, as your post stated, regardless of the outcome of this game. When the game is over, NDSU will still be the 4 time defending national champ, and UND will still have had more losing seasons in the five (now six) years than NDSU has had in the last fifty.

Edited by Gothmog
  • Downvote 2

My guess is if both teams win tomorrow, which is likely, NDSU opens as a 14+ point favorite vs UND. 

Agreed.  I think UND gets its arse handed to it badly, however.  Everyone my age will recollect with horror the days of the 80's.  This coaching staff should promptly call Roger Thomas and ask him what he put in the water in 1993 to beat the Bison - finally - and be truly competitive with them.  Now that we'll have an actual nickname, the recruiting scales of justice should finally be in sync again......... 

I think all of us would be pissed if we got blown out, and disappointed.  Like some others have said, it would somewhat depend on how the game played out as to how pissed or upset we were.  If we turned over the ball 3 times in our own territory and you guys ran back a kick for a TD and things like that happened that is one thing.  But if you guys consistently drove up and down the field on us that would be a sign we have a long ways to go.  Even if we should happen to win though, we realize we have quite a ways to go.  A month ago I think many UND people felt that getting blown out was certainly a possibility, and wouldn't be surprised.  Now if we get blown out, I'll be extremely disappointed.  Win or lose though, we still have the whole conference season ahead of us and it's just one game, but a pretty big game.  If we should happen to win, will certainly help our playoff chances.  A loss....whether it's close or a blow out is still 1 loss that will count against us and hurt us if we are close to making the playoffs.

Gut tells me it won't be a blowout. UND's defense and newfound running game, along with NDSU's suspect defense, should make for a very competitive game. However, if UND does get blown out, I will be disappointed yet still enthused for conference play. Success in Big Sky Conference play is ultimately where playoff positioning is secured. 

• Upvote 1

After the Wyoming game I feel pretty good about shutting down NDSU ground game but I think they will likely be able to score some with the passing game.  If UND doesn't turn over the ball I would be shocked if NDSU scored more than 24 points.  I am still not sold on the UND offense yet but it certainly looked a lot better than last year in game one.  At this point I don't see a blowout game. 

• Upvote 1

It's pretty hard for a team to "rest on its laurels" as it hangs its fourth consecutive championship banner. At any rate, it's obviously not a "rough time" for NDSU, as your post stated, regardless of the outcome of this game. When the game is over, NDSU will still be the 4 time defending national champ, and UND will still have had more losing seasons in the five (now six) years than NDSU has had in the last fifty.

keeping living in the past because you know you are scared about what the future is going to be when the bison are longer the top in the state at football.

• Upvote 1