SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

Here is what the Bison Faithful think of us, see their comments below, concerning the injury to Wentz-  If Wentz plays, we will absolutely bring more pressure than say maybe a normal game plan to test his mobility.

I don't see this as a blessing. The best way to be sure Carson and our WR are on the same page come conference play is game reps. We may beat the next two teams by 40 points per game but next up is SDSU who will be ready. I don't want a rusty QB for that one.

This may be a blessing in disguise. Stick needs some real reps as we will need both down the road, and next two games are candy ass teams.

Sit Carson until the Jacks game. That will give his ankle 1 month to heal. The Bison can easily beat Weber and UND w/o him.

Actually, he should be fully healed up by Oct 3 when we play SDSU. Until then it's nothing but byes and cupcakes.

Good, let them think it will be a walk in the park, then after we beat them they can spend the next 4 years coming up with excuses why they lost.

Forcing him to run on it is an attack on that ankle. 

You attack the opponent's weakness.

You play to win the game. 

Not disagreeing with you. I guess when I said you don't target the angle, I meant more, don't go out there taking cheap shots to hurt, re-injure, extend the injury of a player. Truth is, I wouldn't want to see my team taking cheap shots against anyone injured or not. I think we are on the same page relating to go hard after the player, especially if they are willing to take the risk and play. I'm just not for playing cheap to injure, not that I think most people are.

Here is what the Bison Faithful think of us, see their comments below, concerning the injury to Wentz-  If Wentz plays, we will absolutely bring more pressure than say maybe a normal game plan to test his mobility.

I don't see this as a blessing. The best way to be sure Carson and our WR are on the same page come conference play is game reps. We may beat the next two teams by 40 points per game but next up is SDSU who will be ready. I don't want a rusty QB for that one.

This may be a blessing in disguise. Stick needs some real reps as we will need both down the road, and next two games are candy ass teams.

Sit Carson until the Jacks game. That will give his ankle 1 month to heal. The Bison can easily beat Weber and UND w/o him.

Actually, he should be fully healed up by Oct 3 when we play SDSU. Until then it's nothing but byes and cupcakes.

Looking a the number of yards they gave up against Montana, QB play is the least of their worries!!  

So is Mr 2011bisonalumni going to visit all the message boards in the MVFC begging their team to not hit Wentz on the leg? UND isn't the only defense that's going to blitz Wentz and potentially cause harm on that ankle from a rule book tackle? UNI, SDSU, Illinois St will be gunning for him just like Weber State will in the next game....it's called college football not flag football.

He already hit eGriz, telling how he was gonna be in Missoula for the UND game and how he'll be cheering for the Griz because UND Fans and players are so dirty.

Let the fans underestimate us, but I guarantee the coaches won't. Kliemann is their coach because he is smart enough to take it one week at a time. Will UND be NDSU's toughest opponent, probably not, but I think it should be a competitive game, and I think our Def (as shown on paper) should give them a hard time (we'll know more after we have seen our boys play a game).

I don't think they are totally wrong in saying that Stick needs to get some reps, and would be better to do that against teams who have not proved to be dominant yet. I hope in a year or two UND is considered dominant, and I think we are moving in that direction, but we are not there yet.

As for an injured player, especially a QB, let him fully heal, or he could end up with a lingering issue the entire season.

Can't wait for this game. Hope it is entertaining and competitive, but even if it goes pear shaped, it will still be fun.

Let the fans underestimate us, but I guarantee the coaches won't. Kliemann is their coach because he is smart enough to take it one week at a time. Will UND be NDSU's toughest opponent, probably not, but I think it should be a competitive game, and I think our Def (as shown on paper) should give them a hard time (we'll know more after we have seen our boys play a game).

I don't think they are totally wrong in saying that Stick needs to get some reps, and would be better to do that against teams who have not proved to be dominant yet. I hope in a year or two UND is considered dominant, and I think we are moving in that direction, but we are not there yet.

As for an injured player, especially a QB, let him fully heal, or he could end up with a lingering issue the entire season.

Can't wait for this game. Hope it is entertaining and competitive, but even if it goes pear shaped, it will still be fun.

IIRC Bison fans used injury as their excuse for their 3-8 season in 2009. Hmmm.

• Downvote 1

odd I've never seen anyone blame iinjuries for that. Mostly an awful team.

Its from your 2011 Bison Alum buddy:

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/20356-und-ndsu-gameyear-thread/?page=32

NDSU has had three losing seasons since 1964. I repeat 3. They followed a 2009 season when the experienced significant injuries and disciplinary issues with one of their best recruiting classes ever and a controversial playoff loss in the FCS quarterfinals against the eventual national champions. Somehow you fail to remember that NDSU had back to back 10-1 seasons in both 2006 and 2007, beat 3 FBS teams, and were the number one ranked team in the FCS for multiple weeks. 2008 they went into the year ranked #1 in the FCS and had an injury plagued year. 2009 was an anomaly in the D1 era.

odd I've never seen anyone blame iinjuries for that. Mostly an awful team.

How about this one:

http://www.uffp2.com/SMF20/index.php?topic=7907.30

NDSU should have beaten Wyoming in 2008, but had two years of poor QB play when Nick Mertens didn't pan out as expected.  The Bison lost that game 13-16, as Mertens threw an interception deep in Bison territory with around a minute left to play, and although the defense held,  Wyoming kicked the game winning FG.  The Bison still would have beaten Wyoming had star running back Tyler Rohl been able to play, but was sidelined with an upper ankle sprain and fought that injury all season.  One of those two years, 2008 or 2009, the Bison ended with a 3-8 record.

1. Teams target known injuries on opponents all the time. It's common practice and widely known and done in football and hockey*.  

Sicatoka,

Your comments are absolutely pathetic and cross the line big time. I have no problem with someone advocating to rush the QB because they are injured but to target the injury specifically ?

These comments are the main reason why I never wanted NDSU to schedule UND. Pure classless losers. 

I never once played on a team where it was even suggested that we specifically target the injured part of another player's body. This is a rough and violent game, but it's not blood sport. I'd be repulsed by any coach or any player that deliberately went after a knee or an ankle with the intent to injure. If my kids had ever been coached that way I'd remove them from the field myself. Forget the rules of the game - it's called morality.

That said - you put a compromised player on the field, you have to expect the other team to try to exploit the weakness. Whether it's a lineman with a bad shoulder or a QB with a bum wheel, putting pressure on the weakness is absolutely part of the game and not a moral issue.

As for 2011BisonAlumni - I won't tell him he shouldn't be angry about Sicatoka's comment - I was pretty disgusted myself. But, to throw all UND fans into one category based on one person's comment and label us as "classless losers" is not unexpected from him, but it is completely irrational.

• Upvote 3

I never once played on a team where it was even suggested that we specifically target the injured part of another player's body. This is a rough and violent game, but it's not blood sport. I'd be repulsed by any coach or any player that deliberately went after a knee or an ankle with the intent to injure. If my kids had ever been coached that way I'd remove them from the field myself. Forget the rules of the game - it's called morality.

That said - you put a compromised player on the field, you have to expect the other team to try to exploit the weakness. Whether it's a lineman with a bad shoulder or a QB with a bum wheel, putting pressure on the weakness is absolutely part of the game and not a moral issue.

As for 2011BisonAlumni - I won't tell him he shouldn't be angry about Sicatoka's comment - I was pretty disgusted myself. But, to throw all UND fans into one category based on one person's comment and label us as "classless losers" is not unexpected from him, but it is completely irrational.

This was exactly the point I was trying to make to him. Pretty much in one ear and out the other. He is ranting over on Bisonville about how he hopes Wentz doesn't play against UND, cuz apparently one posters comments are indicative of not only the entire fanbase, but also the game plan of the coaches. Ridiculous.

Sicatoka,

Your comments are absolutely pathetic and cross the line big time. I have no problem with someone advocating to rush the QB because they are injured but to target the injury specifically ? Put < profanity removed > trash. I was speaking with a former Bison player last night while I read about his comment. His first were that in the 5 years he played under Bohl and Babich he never was told to target a player's injury.

These comments are the main reason why I never wanted NDSU to schedule UND. Pure classless losers.

Maybe they should just let Carson wear the red "non-contact" jersey for the next couple of games...or better yet just give him a belt and two flags!  It's freaking football...if a 6'6" 230 pound stud athlete is out on the field with a bum wheel...well that's probably the best place to hit a guy in order to take him down (especially someone difficult to tackle like Wentz).  Any further aggravation of his injury is on the coaching staff for putting him out there not at 100% in my opinion...especially if he's going to be carrying the ball 10-15 times per game.  Where else is a linebacker or defensive back supposed to hit a guy that's bigger than them?!?  As long as it's before the whistle chances are the hit is legal.  It reminds me of when Michael Vick or Donovan McNabb had broken ribs...I seem to remember them taking shots to the midsection quite a bit during those days...and you know what, they were the risk you take when you put your pads on and hit the field!  C'mon man...act like you at least know something about the game...you're embarrassing the rest of your graduating class! 

Edited by UND08
  • Upvote 3

Maybe they should just let Carson wear the red "non-contact" jersey for the next couple of games...or better yet just give him a belt and two flags!  It's freaking football...if a 6'6" 230 pound stud athlete is out on the field with a bum wheel...well that's probably the best place to hit a guy in order to take him down (especially someone difficult to tackle like Wentz).  Any further aggravation of his injury is on the coaching staff for putting him out there not at 100% in my opinion...especially if he's going to be carrying the ball 10-15 times per game.  Where else is a linebacker or defensive back supposed to hit a guy that's bigger than them?!?  C'mon man...act like you at least know something about the game...you're embarrassing the rest of your graduating class!

Didn't we have QB injuries last year? I think it happens to all programs when a major impact player goes down with injury you can either sit him out til he heals, or if he plays expect him to get hit and hope the injury doesn't worsen. Just because Wentz is hurt doesn't mean our defense or anyone else's defense is going to go easy on him. 

Further injuring an injury is the risk any player takes when playing injured. I don't understand what the problem is.

You don't see a problem with specifically targeting the injured part on a player? If you are teaching sound defense, would you ever advocate for a player to ankle tackle? 

Never seen Bison fans advocate that we specifically hit a player in a part of the body that they have an injury. 

I never once once said I didn't agree with targeting Wentz as a QB by blitzing him. Target the &#33;@#&#036; out of him. If however you go into the game and specifically try to hit his ankle to knock him out of the game, you have crossed the line.

You should never ever ever target a play with the intent to injure them. Period. 

You don't see a problem with specifically targeting the injured part on a player? If you are teaching sound defense, would you ever advocate for a player to ankle tackle? 

Never seen Bison fans advocate that we specifically hit a player in a part of the body that they have an injury. 

I never once once said I didn't agree with targeting Wentz as a QB by blitzing him. Target the &#33;@#&#036; out of him. If however you go into the game and specifically try to hit his ankle to knock him out of the game, you have crossed the line.

You should never ever ever target a play with the intent to injure them. Period. 

So when Weber State goes on the field, tackles Wentz, and he is rolling around in pain the Bison fans will be spouting they are targeting Wentz suspend them suspend them. It will be worse if its during the UND game.

But ankle tackles do happen and are legal correct?  Its part of the game?

• Upvote 3

I think it has been said enough on here that if Wentz is THAT injured, he has no business on the field. If he does, it is at his own risk. The game is also played at a fast pace, and I don't think any player is going to go out there focusing solely on Wentz ankle. You have taken one post from the message board and completely derailed it into the entire UND fanbase being the bad guys, as though we have any control over what coaches do or do not do. And enough with the Bison fans are angels and would never say anything wrong stuff. There are plenty of obnoxious fans in every fanbase, even UND, and even the Ag School.

But ankle tackles do happen and are legal correct?  Its part of the game?

Sort of ... they are legal .... just not if you play for UND ..... not if you play against NDSU ...... not if you are tackling Carson Wentz ....... and not if he has a high ankle sprain.

• Upvote 2

I remember a couple of years ago Montana came to Grand Forks and the word was Vernon Adams was hurt and not gonna play, listed as injured blah, blah...Even had some Montana fans tailgating with us who were a little droopy about him not playing. Guess what he played.

I know the game "isn't important" to their fans but you can bet he's not going to miss a chance to play UND.

I'm hoping Carson's mom doesn't enjoy the game.  

Have you ever played football? Ankle tackles happen all the time. Ideally you would like to square up, roll the hips and put the opponent on his back. In a fast paced game players are often out of position and when that happens you tackle them any way you can legally. 

Here is the problem I have your rationale: If you play a guy who has a bum ankle and he is tackled by his ankle it is not targeting. Not one bit. 

Are you trying to tell me that since Wentz injured his ankle, we cant tackle him by the ankle?

• Upvote 2

Still waiting for your examples of how dirty and classless the UND football tea has been in the past?  Oh wait....you can't think of any?  Hey Hypocrite...maybe you should think about your insulting comments before you rip on others

Its setting UND or any team up for excuses if Wentz plays gets tackled low and gets hurt.  The dirty football and targeting talk will be flying even if its on a legal play.  

I also do not think Wentz misses any time.  He rests this week and is back for Weber St. and all this is a non issue.   

You should never ever ever target a play with the intent to injure them. Period

When 230 lbs. comes rolling at a Corner at 185 lbs. one thought comes to mind in a fraction of a second, 'hit him low'. 

If Wentz had a shoulder injury, the same thought would come to mind, 'hit him low'.