SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

21 minutes ago, Northcountry said:

It never ceases to amaze me how important discussions of a serious topic get hijacked and deflected - maybe I am too old and this is just a sign of the times we live in, but this discussion has gone from the state of UND football to I don't know what point anyone is trying to make.  I care about the state of UND football, I could care less about whether or not an offer is "commitable" or "Noncommitable".  What adjustments need to made in the philosophy, systems, and culture of UND football and how do we get there?  Or are we on the right track and need to allow time for all the pieces to be in place?  Please try to keep the discussion linear, I really like some of the early insights, but this digression is a real buzz kill.

Totally agree - please don't feed the trolls - they are coming out of the woodwork just to argue endlessly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

It was to make a point.  You really are foolish to believe a kid wants to play at NDSU instead of a power 5 team?  Really?

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

Depends on the school. Easton Stick came to NDSU as opposed to Rutgers.  Its seems its you who is foolish to be make statements in absolutes.

With all due respect, Midwestern Hawk, are you REALLY surprised that a kid would pick North Dakota State over Rutgers?  

3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

With all due respect, Midwestern Hawk, are you REALLY surprised that a kid would pick North Dakota State over Rutgers?  

A kid from Omaha?  No.  A kid from anywhere east of the Ilinois border, yes.  Also remember at the time Rutgers had NOT played a down in the B1G.

14 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I think this is a mis-characterization of what he was saying.  You really think that since we got to 7 wins so they were satisfied?

I'd rather hear him talking about how his system is directionally correct in getting the team to the playoffs but as the loss indicates his system needs to be adjusted because he knows there's more out there. 

NDSU doesn't win because of team goals.
NDSU wins because they've found a system that works. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

If the student-athlete wants to be a pharmacist they'll choose a school with a pharmacy program. 

If the student-athlete wants to be a pilot they'll choose a school with an aviation program. 

It can be other than that.   Maybe it's  playing time.  That may get a kid to pick a higher FCS over FBS.  Just a lot of variables nothing ever says a kid will always pick the FBS over the FCS.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, WYOBISONMAN said:

It can be other than that.   Maybe it's  playing time.  That may get a kid to pick a higher FCS over FBS.  Just a lot of variables nothing ever says a kid will always pick the FBS over the FCS.  

Fully agree. Lots of reasons. Playing  closer to home, girlfriend, size of town, school size.........

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, WYOBISONMAN said:

How did the team he was visiting comport themselves. Did he get along with them. Did he make a connection. Did he fit in? How did he get along with his position coach. What are the coaches plans for him? How did he like the campus. Did they set up a meeting with somebody from the dept of what he would like to major in.  What did they offer? Full ride or walk on. Whats there policy if a player is hurt and can no longer play?  Does he keep his scholly?  What type of academic support do they offer?   What is the regime for the summer?  ETC ETC ETC

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

All I want for Christmas is a stout 300# NT that will chew up blocks and push them in the backfield.   That alone with cure must of the rushing defense.

I don't know if that is the answer. I don't think NDSU has had a 300 lb DL in any of their championship years and have played against plenty of teams that have had 300 lb DL. You need 275 to 285 lb DT's and 250 LB DE'S  that are athletic, strong, and can move. 

5 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I don't know if that is the answer. I don't think NDSU has had a 300 lb DL in any of their championship years and have played against plenty of teams that have had 300 lb DL. You need 275 to 285 lb DT's and 250 LB DE'S  that are athletic, strong, and can move. 

Thank you, much appreciated.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

NDSU runs a 4 man front. 

Und runs a 3 man front. I believe this calls for a very large man in the middle. 

28 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I really don't give a damn about NDSU.  Now ……..

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

2019 record and conference standings of 2020 opponents (*Home Games)

*Valparaiso  -        1-11 (10th/last)

Kansas St.  -          8-4 (4th)

---------------------BYE---------------------------

Youngstown St  -  6-6 (8th)

*SDSU  -                 8-4 (3rd)

*Missouri St -        1-10 (9th)

W. Illinois  -            1-11 (10th/last)

Portland St.  -        5-7 (7th)

*South Dakota -      5-7 (6th)

Illinois St.  -            9-4 (5th)

NDSU  -                  12-0 (1st)

*S. Illinois  -            7-5 (4th)

Did anyone know Kleiman coached at K St.?   The Fargo Forum this morning made reference to that...….for the 117th straight day! :silly:

18 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Again, the program needs to be adjusted. It’s not good enough as is.

Can I ask how you would recruit to Grand Forks when the school just down the road is better at literally everything? Better facilities, better fanbase, better tradition, etc. It's not like you just snap your fingers and bring absolute studs to a "hockey school".

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Did anyone know Kleiman coached at K St.?   The Fargo Forum this morning made reference to that...….for the 117th straight day! :silly:

Was that before or after they listed what Carson had for breakfast?

With Carson and his wife expecting I am guessing the Forum and KVLY will have to order extra staff in a few months.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Can I ask how you would recruit to Grand Forks when the school just down the road is better at literally everything? Better facilities, better fanbase, better tradition, etc. It's not like you just snap your fingers and bring absolute studs to a "hockey school".

Being a bison fan down here was not always Rose's we sucked for a while but it took the right coach and an administration behind him then hit on a few recruits and maybe transfers then it will happen.

What I see from the outside is an administration not being able to see what needs to be done dont know the finances of und but maybe steal a few hockey bucks and go grab a coach or 2 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, FlinFlan80 said:

First of all you deal with facts. We have to get better and there are still kids who want to be part of turning a program around. There are opportunities to play right away here that for some players will make a difference. You need to understand you are also recruiting the parents and in some cases friends of the athlete UND isn’t just a “hockey school “ it’s the flagship University of the State of North Dakota with a tradition the goes way back before any of us were born. That is why we still have a winning record against the “school to the south “.  We made the mistake of not moving up back when the Montana schools and UNI and others moved up but that is where these young recruits come in. They can always be remembered as the first team to take the important steps to success. They have the opportunity to attend a first class University that offers over 175 ( or whatever the number is) fields of study. Our graduates have been CEO’s of major corporations such as Continental and Frontier Airlines, One of the Largest Timber Firms in the world, a world renowned Mineral/Gold mining corporation. Cargill and Buffalo Wild Wings to name just a few.  Our graduates have become important Doctors, Lawyers, Judges, Engineers, Accountants, Teachers, Governors, Senators, Congressmen/Women, and astronauts. Many graduates are successful entrepreneurs. The President of the Minnesota Twins and the most successful coach in the history of the NBA are UND grads. UND grads have earned Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals in track and field and hockey. These will be their fellow students and these associations will help create opportunities for success in the future.  We have all of the resources  in place right now that the athletes need to be successful and we will continue to improve and build in the future but we want athletes to come to UND to be part of that success.  If these kids will be willing to take the challenge of being the difference makers for the underdog that will re-establish UND as a National FB power. You don’t compare with anyone else you sell your University and the athletic opportunities they should take advantage of. Your players must have a passion for the program and a belief in what they can do as athletes and a team. Team chemistry can be contagious. Hopefully the new President understands how a successful intercollegiate athletic program can help all facets of the University. These are the things you focus on with your recruits. Behind the scenes your staff, the athletic department, the alumni office/foundation staff, and the new UND administration create a priority list and timeline to put the resources in place to meet the needs of all UND athletic teams. That is how I would recruit. We also need to do a better job of identifying recruits. Hegg from Brainerd, Schobert from Wisconsin, Thielen  from Detroit Lakes  are examples of kids we could have have locked up with a half scholarship each. As we need we do the appropriate upgrades and additions to the coaching staffs and athletic dept. 

I didn’t mean to be so “brief”. but the thought that we can’t be successful because we have some disadvantages frustrates me. 

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

First of all you deal with facts. We have to get better and there are still kids who want to be part of turning a program around. There are opportunities to play right away here that for some players will make a difference. You need to understand you are also recruiting the parents and in some cases friends of the athlete UND isn’t just a “hockey school “ it’s the flagship University of the State of North Dakota with a tradition the goes way back before any of us were born. That is why we still have a winning record against the “school to the south “.  We made the mistake of not moving up back when the Montana schools and UNI and others moved up but that is where these young recruits come in. They can always be remembered as the first team to take the important steps to success. They have the opportunity to attend a first class University that offers over 175 ( or whatever the number is) fields of study. Our graduates have been CEO’s of major corporations such as Continental and Frontier Airlines, One of the Largest Timber Firms in the world, a world renowned Mineral/Gold mining corporation. Cargill and Buffalo Wild Wings to name just a few.  Our graduates have become important Doctors, Lawyers, Judges, Engineers, Accountants, Teachers, Governors, Senators, Congressmen/Women, and astronauts. Many graduates are successful entrepreneurs. The President of the Minnesota Twins and the most successful coach in the history of the NBA are UND grads. UND grads have earned Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals in track and field and hockey. These will be their fellow students and these associations will help create opportunities for success in the future.  We have all of the resources  in place right now that the athletes need to be successful and we will continue to improve and build in the future but we want athletes to come to UND to be part of that success.  If these kids will be willing to take the challenge of being the difference makers for the underdog that will re-establish UND as a National FB power. You don’t compare with anyone else you sell your University and the athletic opportunities they should take advantage of. Your players must have a passion for the program and a belief in what they can do as athletes and a team. Team chemistry can be contagious. Hopefully the new President understands how a successful intercollegiate athletic program can help all facets of the University. These are the things you focus on with your recruits. Behind the scenes your staff, the athletic department, the alumni office/foundation staff, and the new UND administration create a priority list and timeline to put the resources in place to meet the needs of all UND athletic teams. That is how I would recruit. We also need to do a better job of identifying recruits. Hegg from Brainerd, Schobert from Wisconsin, Thielen  from Detroit Lakes  are examples of kids we could have have locked up with a half scholarship each. As we need we do the appropriate upgrades and additions to the coaching staffs and athletic dept. 

I didn’t mean to be so “brief”. but the thought that we can’t be successful because we have some disadvantages frustrates me. 

And the truth is, unless you want to go into the aviation field, you can go to any other D1 stste school in the Dakota’s and get the same education and go onto being a CEO, doctor, lawyer or whatever you want to be also. Plus. That can say if you want to play beyond college NDSU gives you your best chance. Yes, UND and NDSU both screeed up when they stayed D2 when the Montana schools and UNI went D1AA. NDSU corrected that mistake sooner than UND. Now the gap between the top and everyone else is massive.

i wonder how recruits respond to “did you see Kenny Golloday Sunday? He started here before he transferred. Did you see Joe Schobert Sunday? He almost came here.” 

The sooner Chave’s realizes Bubba ain’t the answer the better for your program and your fans. 

19 hours ago, FlinFlan80 said:

My thoughts both real world and philosophically:

1. There are definitely more studs out there than su has scholarships.
2. The fans with the "we can't compete" mindset need to change their mindset. We have a great facilities, a solid fanbase and strong tradition - stop comparing.  
3. The schools do not recruit the same territories entirely - yes there is some overlap but there are lots of studs out there. 
4. Coaches continue to do their homework and go after kids - su does not appeal to every stud (believe it or not). 
5. Pressure needs to be put on the administration to put more resources into sports other than hockey. 

There is more...

• Upvote 1

JuiceU::

1. Pride goeth before a fall....

2. Last year’s natty, snd future natty’s, are and will be tarnished over your stellar young man who became a D1 scapegoat.... 

3.  The only good thing about your consistent arrogance and negativity in your posts is that after reading them early in the morning, I can vent my own disgust and negative thoughts to you! When I read them late at night, I do not lose sleep over them.

Seriously, do we have to listen to this another 260+ days in the off season? I like GF, UND, Sioux, and the FB staff and team....I do NOT care about NDSU. Your comments negatively reflect on your program....