SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Looks like Miller is going to get a nice paycheck.

Per Larry Brooks of the New York Post, the Boston Bruins will indeed keep controversial defenseman Mitchell Miller under an AHL contract and buy him out after this season. Per Brooks:

‘Miller will be paid for the remainder of the season on his AHL rate of $82,500. Following the season, the Bruins can buy him out of the remaining two years of the contract at one-third of the $775,000 per at his NHL pay scale. That would equate to a buyout sum of $516,615 … plus the total in guaranteed bonuses that amounts to $285,000.’

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

He always is.....  just the GOAT

interesting thing about Kauker...i have a brother in law that has been a high school football coach with a couple of teams in the area....he played high school football for red river at least 25+years ago...to this day mark still knows who my brother in law is, and probably , what his stats were his senior year..mark is definetly one of a kind.  still calls my brother in law a traitor for not coaching at a grand forks school.  always for the home team

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, 1972 said:

interesting thing about Kauker...i have a brother in law that has been a high school football coach with a couple of teams in the area....he played high school football for red river at least 25+years ago...to this day mark still knows who my brother in law is, and probably , what his stats were his senior year..mark is definetly one of a kind.  still calls my brother in law a traitor for not coaching at a grand forks school.  always for the home team

Back in the late 80's and early 90's men's fastptich softball league in Grand Forks used to bring quite a crowd out to watch and drink a few beers at Apollo, and Mark was always out there. I wore #8.

Up until about 5-6 years ago Mark would still occassionally call me "8 ball"  from when I played fastpitch softball. Now I just get the knowing nod from him and Gretzky when I pass them in the concourse at The Ralph or other UND events.

• Upvote 2

Wild place Tyson Jost on waivers

Jost, 24, has three assists in 12 games with the Wild this season. A first-round pick (10th overall) by the Colorado Avalanche at the 2016 NHL Draft, he was traded to the Wild on March 15 in exchange for forward Nico Sturm. Internationally, he has represented Canada on multiple occasions, winning silver medals at the 2017 World Juniors and 2019 World Championships. In 354 career NHL games, the St. Albert, Alta., product has 47 goals and 112 points split between the Avalanche and Wild. 

30 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Tyson Jost put on waivers by the Wild. He has 3 assists this season 

A lesson for those that want to take the fast track to the NHL.  Develop and perfect your roles at the college level first before you entertain the offer to move on to the hardest league.   Not the best move by Jost or Joe Sakic having him leave after one year. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Walsh Hall said:

He's earned over 8m and played 354 NHL games as a 24 year old.  What an underachiever.

Not saying he is a failure, just saying that if his development wasn't rushed, maybe he has a Stanley Cup ring now and possibly been a big contributor to that.   Hopefully he gets more chances to prove himself, but that isn't a given.  I would have thought he could have been a good role player for either Colorado or Minnesota, but the NHL is trending toward having physical guys in their bottom lines to grind the other team down, and Jost not a great fit for that scenario.  

47 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

IIRC, Jost leaving after one season at UND was strictly a financial decision. Single mom and not a wealthy family.

I talked to his mom before the Frozen Faceoff final against Denver, and she made it seem like Sakic was pressing him.  Of course that doesn't mean that Jost didn't make the move to benefit his family.