SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

Just now, jdub27 said:

This isn't a lateral move. And you knew that, because you literally typed it out. Let thank sink in.
Point being, you're spreading BS with nothing to back it up. Lots of proven history of assuming the worst scenario is actually factual and running with that.

He's going from Defensive Coordinator to Defensive Backs coach. That isn't a downgrade?

13 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

He's going from Defensive Coordinator to Defensive Backs coach. That isn't a downgrade?

Yes, everyone is aware of that. But you then tried to spin it by comparing this particular instance to other situations that aren't comparable.
Again, the point is, quit screaming that the sky is falling when you don't actually have any of the facts to the story. And when people try to explain it to you, like some other did, don't just dismiss it because it doesn't fit your negative narrative.

21 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

There is a proven history of UND losing coaches to lateral moves, with the coaches making more money at their new location.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

A downgrade job.....with a higher salary. Let that sink in.

St. Thomas is a private university sitting on a pile of money, with boosters that write big checks whenever they need it, nestled in the heart of Minneapolis. They will have no problem settling in to DI.  

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

St. Thomas is a private university sitting on a pile of money, with boosters that write big checks whenever they need it, nestled in the heart of Minneapolis. They will have no problem settling in to DI.  

I would guess that they have a ton of money available.  For the '22-23 school year their tuition and fees totaled over $50k.  Most private schools in the area cost that much or more but I have always wondered what they do with all of that money.  

Tuition: $48,930
Fees: $1,436

1 minute ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I would guess that they have a ton of money available.  For the '22-23 school year their tuition and fees totaled over $50k.  Most private schools in the area cost that much or more but I have always wondered what they do with all of that money.  

Tuition: $48,930
Fees: $1,436

I wonder how many are actually paying that amount. In law school, our "tuition" was like $60K or something absurd, but I don't know anyone who was paying that.

5 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Like I said BH also knew it was time to move on.  On paper, the defense will be worse than last fall and will be miles from some of his previous D's.  Joel will need to be a magician for the D to be even average.

Why do you think we will be worse on paper this year than last year.  I would think BH would have left last year if that is what he was worried about, we lost a ton on defense going into last year....from the previous year.  This year most are back.  Our corners have more experience, hopefully Buckner has picked things up at Safety....and Fort is healthy, we got a few DL transfers I believe.  Haven't done a thorough look through to compare, but I think on paper we are slightly better than last year.  We were pretty bad last year though, so only slightly better on paper still isn't really that good.  Defense will still be our biggest concern and likely our biggest weakness this fall.  Our offense is going to have to carry us again, and I am just hoping our Defense makes some timely plays when needed.  

35 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Why do you think we will be worse on paper this year than last year.  I would think BH would have left last year if that is what he was worried about, we lost a ton on defense going into last year....from the previous year.  This year most are back.  Our corners have more experience, hopefully Buckner has picked things up at Safety....and Fort is healthy, we got a few DL transfers I believe.  Haven't done a thorough look through to compare, but I think on paper we are slightly better than last year.  We were pretty bad last year though, so only slightly better on paper still isn't really that good.  Defense will still be our biggest concern and likely our biggest weakness this fall.  Our offense is going to have to carry us again, and I am just hoping our Defense makes some timely plays when needed.  

BH thought he had more going into last fall, than he actually had.  Never came together.

For all of our sakes, I hope you are correct.  Last years D was not good by any stretch of the imagination.  We gave up over 30 points a game, 10 points more per game than in 2021.  We all knew going in with what had been lost from the previous year, I was hoping for improvement as the year went on and some guys would step up, It did not happen.   IMO, Even Krzanowski and Siegel had weaker seasons in 2022, due to the lack of supporting cast around them.   

DL is still undersized and lots of question marks after the first 3, LBs are super key in a 3-4 and I have question marks at all 4 positions.  Siegel will be strong, and Kaupinen is a liability in coverage, the other CB and safety are unknowns.  Again, hopefully I am wrong

22 hours ago, iramurphy said:

UND and a coach parted ways. It was best for all. The former coach looks for and finds a new job.  That’s great and a positive conclusion for all. Good luck to him. 

… And there was a pretty rainbow with flowers and such. The End. 

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You ain’t gonna find “good” LBs and a safety over the summer. They’ve already got a home for the fall. 

FBS drop downs, who are looking for mor playing time and who make for really good FCS players, portal all  the time after respective spring camps conclude. We’ve often gotten good players as late as May/June. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

But supposedly this defensive scheme is so complicated so new players rarely see a bunch of time right away.

It is. 

and unsure Joel Schwenzfeier can fix it (or will want to fix it). He himself comes from the lineage of unnecessarily complex safety calls here at UND

1 minute ago, Teeder11 said:

FBS drop downs, who are looking for mor playing time and who make for really good FCS players, portal all  the time after respective spring camps conclude. We’ve often gotten good players as late as May/June. 

Good luck with that. Hopefully Joel and Bubba can pull a rabbit out of a hat 

59 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You ain’t gonna find “good” LBs and a safety over the summer. 

There's this new thing I've heard about ... somethin' like ... portal. 

Roughly half of portal entrants do not find new "homes". There have to be a couple missed gems in that fraction. 

13 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

There are posters on here who I have the utmost respect for, such as Geaux Sioux, Ira,  Shep and Sic, who many times will say thing that are very biting criticisms of UND, but they balance things out from time to time with other kinds of hot takes that make me want to come back for more ...

:blush: