SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

So far in his career, Ziebarth has had only one game with more than three attempts.  When he had the opportunity to show what he can do, in 2021, he seemed to make the most of it.  Add me to the list of people who are interested to hear @UND-FB-FAN's explanation.   

image.png.37624364a13cf9a37f0d725b82f7126b.pnghttps://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore/_/gameId/401328364

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AJS said:

I've learned over the years to pump the breaks on optimism, so who knows. I'm not seeing what you're seeing in the Secondary. They only lose Coley and Agyekum. You think Ocansey is an unknown? I am confident the CB position will be an actual strength. When we talk about comparing to last year, I would have a hard time believing that Safety would be worse. Not saying it'll be a strength, but I would think it should be improved (healthy Fort and Buckner in Yr 2).

Agree that the Secondary will be better than last year? I don't see how it wouldn't be.

D-Line. This is a bit more of an unknown, but they really only lose Morrison (which is a loss) and then more Depth. They lose #'s, but I like what they brought in from the Portal. Like Safety, I don't think they'll be worse. 

LB I'm with you. I feel ok about ILB, but no idea what to think about OLB. At the same time, they weren't great last year, so how much worse could the OLB position actually get?

A couple years ago it felt like the program was on the cusp, now it feels to me like will be fighting for .500.  

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

A couple years ago it felt like the program was on the cusp, now it feels to me like will be fighting for .500.  

Interesting.  I think we're going to have one of the best offenses in the country and I think our defense is going to be better as well, in large part, due to the coaching changes.  I think we're gonna be  a top ten team.

Since you've been fairly down about the program/bubba, I'm curious what you were thinking we were on the cusp of?  For example: Championship, Semi Finals quality, quarters, etc?

15 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I like this. Let’s have you pick your up and coming players. Then we can track their careers and grade them on a 1-10 scale. 10 being all American and NFL draft prospect, 1 being not even finishing a career and seeing much of any action. Should be fun. 

I’d just prefer UND wins, but whatever floats your boat and peaks your interest I guess…

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

So far in his career, Ziebarth has had only one game with more than three attempts.  When he had the opportunity to show what he can do, in 2021, he seemed to make the most of it.  Add me to the list of people who are interested to hear @UND-FB-FAN's explanation.   

image.png.37624364a13cf9a37f0d725b82f7126b.pnghttps://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore/_/gameId/401328364

I mean, they can give him more than 5 carries per game, but that doesn’t mean he’s a top MVFC back. Let’s see if miracles do indeed happen and he develops into Goliath … 

The schedule really is favorable for a high floor. 

• Guaranteed: Drake, Western, Indiana State
  • Feel Confident: NAU, @ Murray State, ISU-Red

Last year, how many would have you put in those camps? There was a lot more 50 / 50 games. I would have put one (@ ISU-Blue) or maybe two (ACU) into one of those categories. Next year, 6. Six doesn't guarantee you anything. Definitely a favorable schedule. 

14 minutes ago, AJS said:

The schedule really is favorable for a high floor. 

• Guaranteed: Drake, Western, Indiana State
  • Feel Confident: NAU, @ Murray State, ISU-Red

Last year, how many would have you put in those camps? There was a lot more 50 / 50 games. I would have put one (@ ISU-Blue) or maybe two (ACU) into one of those categories. Next year, 6. Six doesn't guarantee you anything. Definitely a favorable schedule. 

Murry State should be considered a guaranteed win.   If it isn't, then this program isn't progressing.   I expect Murry to be a perennial bottom feeder.

46 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I mean, they can give him more than 5 carries per game, but that doesn’t mean he’s a top MVFC back. Let’s see if miracles do indeed happen and he develops into Goliath … 

Are you basing your opinion on game reps or are you able to make it to practice?  Can you compare/contrast him to Hoosman?  Trying to get a better idea of why you think the way you do about him.  Seriously interested because it's actual football discussion in the offseason.. not trying to troll you if that's the way it sounds lol

Drake W
NAU W
Boise L
SDSU 50/50 
WIU W
NDSU W
UNI L
Indiana St W
Murray W
USD W
ISU W

As far as next year goes:

I like expectations...8-3 and in contention for a seed with a home playoff game for sure is what I'm expecting!  We have the talent to do it...it's time!

As far as the RB room...I'm all for bringing in the NMU kid...looks like a gamer and a physical back on film!  I don't write off anyone in our program though!  I was at the Ziebarth game he got some carries in, and I think he can play!  A three-headed monster in the backfield (four with Red) will be fantastic for us!

Those road games against UNI and USD are going to be huge.

Can they win these types of games on the road?  That will be the next progression of the program. 

Need to beat USD more consistently in Verm.  They too could be a playoff team (have you seen THEIR schedule?)

These three on the field at the same time at WR would give us the most speed we've seen from a WR group in a while. 

And then to think we have Bo, Wright, and hopefully a healthy Klein. Could be a very good and diverse set of WR's. Won't hold my breath on Klein though until we see he is healthy enough to play. 

Screenshot_20230328-112553.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

These three on the field at the same time at WR would give us the most speed we've seen from a WR group in a while. 

And then to think we have Bo, Wright, and hopefully a healthy Klein. Could be a very good and diverse set of WR's. Won't hold my breath on Klein though until we see he is healthy enough to play. 

Screenshot_20230328-112553.png

but can timmy 2 gloves hit the deep ball this year (especially to these burners?)

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

but can timmy 2 gloves hit the deep ball this year (especially to these burners?)

I won't sugar coat it, it's not his strength.  However have seen him throw it 45-48 yards in the air....but in my opinion he is too worried about getting picked on the deep pass and often over shoots his WR trying to be safe.  If it's single coverage....and even if our WR only has a step on him.....throw it up and let our guy make a play, or get pass interference called.  On occassion he may get picked deep.....but if he can connect a few times on some deep balls the defense has to be concerned about it and would hopefully open things up a bit more.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

I won't sugar coat it, it's not his strength.  However have seen him throw it 45-48 yards in the air....but in my opinion he is too worried about getting picked on the deep pass and often over shoots his WR trying to be safe.  If it's single coverage....and even if our WR only has a step on him.....throw it up and let our guy make a play, or get pass interference called.  On occassion he may get picked deep.....but if he can connect a few times on some deep balls the defense has to be concerned about it and would hopefully open things up a bit more.  

at this point in his career he is what he is....he hits Bo on that throw (easy throw) against nebraska we maybe host a playoff game or two...but he didn't

i mentioned this before....if jimmy g hits that long bomb at the end of the super bowl they win the super bowl (probably)...he probably gets a 100 million dollar contract and he probably is still qb in san fran...all he had to do was throw a pass that joe montana, tom brady, and dan marino hit with their eyes closed.

5 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Yet before he's done, this year, he will rewrite nearly every, if not every, all-time QB record in the books at UND. He'll obliterate them if he decides to take his COVID year next year. Pretty good for a guy some call "Timmy [sic] 2 gloves." 

if you play almost every game for six years i guess you might set some records...might be a indicator that during bubba's tenure the qb position has been...average? (just like his lifetime winning %)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if you play almost every game for six years i guess you might set some records...might be a indicator that during bubba's tenure the qb position has been...average? (just like his lifetime winning %)

Ok, I'll play. All-time > Bubba's tenure. 

12 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what are u asking?

He's not asking anything.  He was saying he will likely break UND QB records for all-time, not just under Bubba's tenure.  He did get the extra Covid year though which did help, although it wasn't a full season.  I believe Klancher started when he was a freshman and started for 4 years, but I could be wrong.  

11 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

He's not asking anything.  He was saying he will likely break UND QB records for all-time, not just under Bubba's tenure.  He did get the extra Covid year though which did help, although it wasn't a full season.  I believe Klancher started when he was a freshman and started for 4 years, but I could be wrong.  

yeah i think klancher got in bc on an injury an ran with it...awesome qb (could really hit the deep ball)

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Interesting.  I think we're going to have one of the best offenses in the country and I think our defense is going to be better as well, in large part, due to the coaching changes.  I think we're gonna be  a top ten team.

Since you've been fairly down about the program/bubba, I'm curious what you were thinking we were on the cusp of?  For example: Championship, Semi Finals quality, quarters, etc?

IMO program was on the rise through the spring season.  Maybe I was fooled, but I thought we had arrived and would be where SDSU now sits.  UND should ALWAYS be a top 10 team, and a top 3 MVFC team.  We made the playoffs last fall, but we were like 3 plays from being 4-7 instead of 7-4.  We crapped the bed in Fargo and in the first half of the playoff game.  

My heart says 8-3 or 9-2, my brain after 9 years of Bubba Ball says, we have 3 guaranteed wins, 3 guaranteed losses, and if the stars line up will win 4 of the other 5 and we will all be praying for a way into the playoffs come November.  

• Upvote 1