SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

On 2/13/2023 at 9:20 AM, farce poobah said:

The timing of announcement gives hints as to what went on behind the scenes.  

Immediately after last game, Head Coach asks DC for assessment, top to bottom of players, training, and all the DC staff.  And presumably a list of what to change for next season to improve results. 

HC reviews the resulting assessment (couple weeks later), asks for changes (perhaps to DC staff).  They disagree.  HC says "its time to part ways, but I'll give you the chance to announce it to the world first".

Bottom line, I think there's more changes to come. 

I think BH got out while the getting was good, but time will tell.  How do we think this team will stop the run next season?  The offense will need to score 35 a game to win.  Anyone have any updates from Spring Ball?

E2C69C21-4D41-4E54-984F-7EE152D7913D.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

OK, what in the name of all that is holy is going on with our former D-Coordinator becoming a DB coach for Saint Thomas????

Billy Chaves and Bubba Schweigert running a suspect program. That’s what. 

Carry on, more perennial 0.500 football to support.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

A downgrade job.....with a higher salary. Let that sink in.

How do we know that? What would be the point of St. Thomas having super high salaries for their Football program? They are in a non-scholarship league. 

28 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Got anything to prove that out?
Because you aren't correct.

Why is this board full of people that enjoy denigrating UND athletics at every chance? 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Why is this board full of people that enjoy denigrating UND athletics at every chance? 

Very bad year overall for the athletic programs. Frustration has set in. I would guess that's why. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Like I said BH also knew it was time to move on.  On paper, the defense will be worse than last fall and will be miles from some of his previous D's.  Joel will need to be a magician for the D to be even average.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

What percentage of coaches ever take a lower-ranked job at a school at the same level (FCS in this case) for less money? I would guess the percentage is pretty miniscule. This could be one of those exceptional cases, I'll grant you, but I am skeptical of that.

We have lost MBB coaches to lateral moves within our own conference and those coaches made more money in their new jobs. I am guessing this is another example of that. But even if I am wrong in this case, low coaches salaries are still a big problem at UND.

9 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Like I said BH also knew it was time to move on.  On paper, the defense will be worse than last fall and will be miles from some of his previous D's.  Joel will need to be a magician for the D to be even average.

DL should be better. Hopefully, they bring in some good LBs and a safety over the summer

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What percentage of coaches ever take a lower-ranked job at a school at the same level (FCS in this case) for less money? I would guess the percentage is pretty miniscule. This could be one of those exceptional cases, I'll grant you, but I am skeptical of that.

We have lost MBB coaches to lateral moves within our own conference and those coaches made more money in their new jobs. I am guessing this is another example of that. But even if I am wrong in this case, low coaches salaries are still a big problem at UND.

Just wanted to be sure to highlight the relevant part of your post. Thanks for the updates.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Unless I missed something, UST is a private institution and does not have an open record of salaried employees. What we can all agree on though is that position coaches at UND do not make enough to keep the best coaches around. That, to me, is the biggest problem facing UND football. 

2 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Just wanted to be sure to highlight the relevant part of your post. Thanks for the updates.

So you think coaches routinely make lateral moves for less money? I maintain it is a rare exception and not the rule. If this is an exception, so be it. But our salaries are still too low to retain quality coaches.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So you think coaches routinely make lateral moves for less money? I maintain it is a rare exception and not the rule. If this is an exception, so be it. But our salaries are still too low to retain quality coaches.

When they do it for family reasons, yes, it is quite common.
But carry on, continue guessing and making statement that have no basis of truth.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It's not nearly as rare as you think. This might come as a shock but coaches make decisions all the time based on stuff other than just money. But please don't let any of that get in the way of you always assuming the worst.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

When they do it for family reasons, yes, it is quite common.
But carry on, continue guessing and making statement that have no basis of truth.

14 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

It's not nearly as rare as you think. This might come as a shock but coaches make decisions all the time based on stuff other than just money. But please don't let any of that get in the way of you always assuming the worst.

There is a proven history of UND losing coaches to lateral moves, with the coaches making more money at their new location. That has "basis in truth" Mr. @jdub27. If this is an exception to that, I will gladly stand corrected.

And Mr. @SiouxBoys, a coach isn't going to poor-mouth their previous employer over a low salary, in public anyway. The "closer to family" line is sometimes used to avoid answering questions about that.

And I thought collegiate athletics was all about the Benjamins?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

There is a proven history of UND losing coaches to lateral moves, with the coaches making more money at their new location. That has "basis in truth" Mr. @jdub27. If this is an exception to that, I will gladly stand corrected.

And Mr. @SiouxBoys, a coach isn't going to poor-mouth their previous employer over a low salary, in public anyway. The "closer to family" line is sometimes used to avoid answering questions about that.

And I thought collegiate athletics was all about the Benjamins?

This isn't a lateral move. And you knew that, because you literally typed it out. Let thank sink in.
Point being, you're spreading BS with nothing to back it up. Lots of proven history of assuming the worst scenario is actually factual and running with that.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said: