SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

3 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

I think he would be a great fit for Danny's offense.  We are thin at RB.  One injury and we could be hurting.

Are we really that thin at RB? Other than a bowling ball short down back I’m pretty confident with the guys we have. Ziebarth and Smith can handle the workload. Skokna and red bring another scat look. Depth would be nice but we don’t need a guy to step in to start day 1 like hoosman. The Oline is more important for the run game.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Are we really that thin at RB? Other than a bowling ball short down back I’m pretty confident with the guys we have. Ziebarth and Smith can handle the workload. Skokna and red bring another scat look. Depth would be nice but we don’t need a guy to step in to start day 1 like hoosman. The Oline is more important for the run game.

Right now yes.  A early injury in fall camp or first game of the season maybe not?

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I didn't realize Mitchell is no longer on the team? It's only showing 4 RB's right now, but obviously Red can play RB too if needed. I agree I think we have capable guys at RB, but sure would be nice to pick up that kid at RB.  With pretty much our whole OL back and most of the offense in general back, definitely excited about the offensive side of the ball.  They will need to score a lot this year. 

Screenshot_20230326-194157.png

• Upvote 1

On 3/24/2023 at 3:45 PM, Midwestern Hawk said:

BH thought he had more going into last fall, than he actually had.  Never came together.

For all of our sakes, I hope you are correct.  Last years D was not good by any stretch of the imagination.  We gave up over 30 points a game, 10 points more per game than in 2021.  We all knew going in with what had been lost from the previous year, I was hoping for improvement as the year went on and some guys would step up, It did not happen.   IMO, Even Krzanowski and Siegel had weaker seasons in 2022, due to the lack of supporting cast around them.   

DL is still undersized and lots of question marks after the first 3, LBs are super key in a 3-4 and I have question marks at all 4 positions.  Siegel will be strong, and Kaupinen is a liability in coverage, the other CB and safety are unknowns.  Again, hopefully I am wrong

I've learned over the years to pump the breaks on optimism, so who knows. I'm not seeing what you're seeing in the Secondary. They only lose Coley and Agyekum. You think Ocansey is an unknown? I am confident the CB position will be an actual strength. When we talk about comparing to last year, I would have a hard time believing that Safety would be worse. Not saying it'll be a strength, but I would think it should be improved (healthy Fort and Buckner in Yr 2).

Agree that the Secondary will be better than last year? I don't see how it wouldn't be.

D-Line. This is a bit more of an unknown, but they really only lose Morrison (which is a loss) and then more Depth. They lose #'s, but I like what they brought in from the Portal. Like Safety, I don't think they'll be worse. 

LB I'm with you. I feel ok about ILB, but no idea what to think about OLB. At the same time, they weren't great last year, so how much worse could the OLB position actually get?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I didn't realize Mitchell is no longer on the team? It's only showing 4 RB's right now, but obviously Red can play RB too if needed. I agree I think we have capable guys at RB, but sure would be nice to pick up that kid at RB.  With pretty much our whole OL back and most of the offense in general back, definitely excited about the offensive side of the ball.  They will need to score a lot this year. 

Screenshot_20230326-194157.png

We also have 2 fr coming in at RB and seems like we’re gonna grab a transfer as well.

I am wondering if the addition of Wesley Eliodor really opens up were Red Wison lines ups this season.  I am really excited to see his impact on defenses and the safeties when he is on the field.  Plus, Wesley and Luke back on kickoffs.  Which side do you kick the ball toward?

5 minutes ago, FSSD said:

I am wondering if the addition of Wesley Eliodor really opens up were Red Wison lines ups this season.  I am really excited to see his impact on defenses and the safeties when he is on the field.  Plus, Wesley and Luke back on kickoffs.  Which side do you kick the ball toward?

Siegel’s. ( ;

21 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

let’s not ignore the ball carrier position because the offensive line is the most important unit to the run game …

Beyond Smith, the RB room is subpar right now. Red has the next most talent, but he’s split out and not a pure RB. he  definitely needs to get the ball a ton though.

need two transfers, not just one. Ziebarth has some potential, but not likely to be more than a 5 carry/game back for his career.