SiouxSports.com Forum

Wilbur

Man it seems like every time UND is in the Football playoffs the rules change.  Quality Loss, Tents for locker rooms, higher bills don't host etc, coin flip of autobid.  FCS payoffs seem like such a joke.

Seed to teams 1-24 and higher team get home field.  NC$$ has so much money.  Just run the Tourney the right way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

4. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance (i.e., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), and (5) studentathlete well-being (e.g., travel and missed class time).

Conf place finish: UND 3, Weber 3
Head-to-head results (NAU): UND won by 3, Weber won by 2
Number of Div 1 oppenents: UND 11, Weber 10 (Weber played D2 W Oregon)

UND got absolutely hosed even if the NCAA is trying to say performance.  UND is tied or beat Weber in all specified performance examples. 

"This has always been the way we look at it," Truax said. "What's unique about this is there hasn't been from a committee perspective a disparity like this between performance of the two teams.

1 minute ago, Hammersmith said:

Not going to lie, if the school with the lower bid got the home game, I'll be surprised. But saying that...

I can think of three other factors that come into play that are mostly money related. First, how much was the difference? Sure it would be a big deal if it was a $50k difference between the bids, but what if it was $1k? Or $500? At that point, would the bids just be looked at as equivalent? Second, travel costs. The point of guarantee money is to offset the money the NCAA loses in travel costs. It's a lot cheaper and easier to fly in to SLC and bus the 30 miles to Weber than it is to fly to GF or fly to Fargo and bus to GF. Finally, there's the weather factor. Granted it's northern Utah and not northern Florida, but the odds of a safe and easy trip to Ogden are greater than a safe and easy trip to GF(especially if they fly to Fargo and bus to GF).

So, I could see an argument for going with a lower gross bid from Weber if the bids were close and the committee realized the NET bid from Weber was actually greater. (Bid - travel costs = net bid)

None of that logic was used.

You are giving them way too much credit. 

They appeased the east coast reps by giving HC the #8 seed and tried to make up for it by guaranteeing Weber a home game despite a lower bid, something that has never been done.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wheelsup said:

So I 100% agree with what you just said.. if those things actually happened there is nothing we can do about it and I would be ok with the result.  

But.. I guess I dont believe that it actually happened..

• "The supposedly money hungry NCAA decided to ignore a reasonably substantially higher bid and give the home playoff game to Weber State because they should have been a seeded team.."

Heading down that conspiracy theory route where everyone outside of grand forks hates UND football is a bridge too far for me.  The conspiracy theory last week was that we wouldnt make the playoffs becasue the NDSU AD and Fargo in general was going to do everything they could to keep us out of the playoffs.. obviously not true.  The simplest answer is usually the right one and the simplest answer is that our bid wasnt better than Weber State's.

Seems like its time for a little transparency to clear this up.. apparently FOI requests can be filed.. Chaves or somebody else.. should be able to file a FOI request with both UND and Weber State see what the bids are and embarrass the NCAA if this conspiracy theory is true.  Seems like there would be a lot of schools/teams unhappy with the new precedent of.. well Weber state should have been seeded but wasnt so we promised them a home game regardless of their bid.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Love and agree with everything @wheelsup and other are saying. What bothers me the most is the thought that UND is always either unlucky or for some reason those making the decisions are always against them for some reason. Good news for Chaves is he works for a university where mediocrity is rewarded. Can't wait to hear his excuse the next bid he loses. 

Apparently things truly were rigged against us.  Sucks to not have a voice in the room.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

None of that logic was used.

You are giving them way too much credit. 

They appeased the east coast reps by giving HC the #8 seed and tried to make up for it by guaranteeing Weber a home game despite a lower bid, something that has never been done.

I'm surprised. My comments were based on past committee decisions. The article even says that nobody on the inside(past committee members, conference commissioners, athletic directors) can ever remember something like this happening before.

The only argument I could see is if the bids were really close, but nothing in the article suggests that.

1 minute ago, Hammersmith said:

I'm surprised. My comments were based on past committee decisions. The article even says that nobody on the inside(past committee members, conference commissioners, athletic directors) can ever remember something like this happening before.

The only argument I could see is if the bids were really close, but nothing in the article suggests that.

I was surprised when I heard it as well.
Then upset because the committee had zero plan in disclosing it but word started leaking out yesterday.

UND will have zero recourse and basically was hung out to dry by their conference representative, who conveniently won't communicate with anyone on the matter.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

THIS! 

I'd love to hear Truax try to explain this one.

NCAA still has it in for UND, simple as that.

yep...

once the ncca people say xyz is why weber gets the home game....show them montanta's credentials and just sit back and listen...then go after em like a good journalist should tom or schloss

even use the karl rove grease board to make it sink in

• Upvote 2