SiouxSports.com Forum

Wilbur

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Anyone actually think Matt Larsen stepped up for us.
We got screwed again. 
Ya, they took the Scotch Whiskey and Cigars out of the meeting but left the ambiguous decision making in.

I actually think it could be possible.  The optics in Fargo on Saturday were horrible.   One could say the same about the Griz in Bozeman.  That one I can't explain other than $$$$.    

The fact is the NCAA created this division of football the problem is power now after last years defection of James Madison, Sam Houston and several teams over last few years now rests primarily in Big Sky and Missouri Valley. If they are going to keep this division viable need all these other conferences to have success advancing  in tournament you need regionalization guaranteeing these conferences reach closer to final . Also it helps these conferences to get home field advantages. I don’t see where this division goes in the future because this is basically what division II football was  40 to 50 years ago with large number of same schools. The solution for Big Sky and Missouri Valley is the top teams need to create FBS conference and getting themselves aligned with regional cable network to help fund a conference . If enough schools went they could have east and west conference with conference playoff again way for conference to succeed financially. They just need core couple of schools to work on this to get this organized. The rest of country is not very much interested or cares much about this region in the country so like may things we have here we need to develop this on our own and grow it into something special people would be very much interested in. Just my dream what we could become without having to fight politics and big interest of the coasts.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, petey23 said:

In a round about way you could almost say that UND got Holy Crossed....Weber should have been the 6 seed and Samford and UIW would have been the 7 and 8 and Holy Cross should have been unseeded. The Eastern Powers getting their way cost Weber a bye and cost us a home game.

Holy Cross ran the table, including an FBS win. I don't know how you don't reward that with a seed.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, homer said:

6-5 Western Illinois getting in with “quality losses” vs a team with an FBS quality win.  

it’s happened before

The whole 6-5 thing is the dumbest thing ever.  Were they one of the best teams available?  Maybe.  But I'm sorry, if you lose almost as much as you win, you have no business being in the playoffs absent a conference title.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

No one ln either the east coast or BSC are going to do any favors for the MVFC.  

FAVORS, of course not, that's smells of the old Scotch Whiskey / Cigars.
You comment sure makes it sound like possible favors to some could be given, but not MVFC.
There is absolutely a window left open for the committee to use subjective criteria in the decision making process. 
Also, the inconsistency of these decisions by selection committee?
Some serious questions on here to no smoke in the room.

2 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

FAVORS, of course not, that's smells of the old Scotch Whiskey / Cigars.
You comment sure makes it sound like possible favors to some could be given, but not MVFC.
There is absolutely a window left open for the committee to use subjective criteria in the decision making process. 
Also, the inconsistency of these decisions by selection committee?
Some serious questions on here to no smoke in the room.

Quite crying - just win on Saturday.  

3 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

The next game has nothing to do with this discussion.  Based on criteria that has been used 'forever' in awarding first round FCS games UND should be at home.  It is the classic moving the goalposts. Winning or losing next week will do nothing to justify that decision. 

• Upvote 2

Massey ratings applied to 2022 FCS bracket delivered by NCAA:

Left side
(27 v 41) v 2
(28 v 37) v 9
(30 v 44) v 8
(4 v 15) v 3

Right side
(10 v 19) v 5
(25 v 13) v 6
(11 v 18) v 7
(20 v 93) v 1 

Looks like Massey4 took the short end and got no bye. Oh, wait, that's Weber. 

5 hours ago, Gothmog said:

I doubt that there's any conspiracy against UND. In any case, UND can only control 2 things ... its W-L record and its bid. I don't know what your bid, or other school's bids actually were, but I do know that 7 wins is considered the bare minimum for an at-large bid. UND can, and should, do better than that. It's up to UND to prove the selection commitee wrong...with a win in Ogden on Saturday. That's how you kick the door in.

You mean 6 D1 win right..

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Please expound. Examples appreciated. 

MBB:

Jaron Nash applies for a hardship because his dad was sick.  At the time, if you went to a school that was within a certain distance of home, you could get a waiver.   He could have been immediately eligible and could have played with the Huff/Anderson/Webb/Schuler/Brekke Group for two years.  Instead the NCAA said no, twice.

Sure, they gave him a 6th year... after Huff and all of them graduated... huh, how nice of them.

I thought the case with Karvinen and St. Clair was a bit more to it but it was a clearinghouse issue.  So the Nash case always sticks in my craw. 

13 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

MBB:

Jaron Nash applies for a hardship because his dad was sick.  At the time, if you went to a school that was within a certain distance of home, you could get a waiver.   He could have been immediately eligible and could have played with the Huff/Anderson/Webb/Schuler/Brekke Group for two years.  Instead the NCAA said no, twice.

Sure, they gave him a 6th year... after Huff and all of them graduated... huh, how nice of them.

I thought the case with Karvinen and St. Clair was a bit more to it but it was a clearinghouse issue.  So the Nash case always sticks in my craw. 

Huff and Nash would have been nice!!  Was Hooker Fr. one year?

4 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

Dear bison dan .. please share all of the details of the mighty bisons road record during the playoffs.. I can’t wait to hear it. I could share the details but it’s more fun for you to look it up. You guys have a great record in the Fargo dome… and a great record in Frisco.. but those road games .. tuff for everyone I guess.. 

42 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

Dear bison dan .. please share all of the details of the mighty bisons road record during the playoffs.. I can’t wait to hear it. I could share the details but it’s more fun for you to look it up. You guys have a great record in the Fargo dome… and a great record in Frisco.. but those road games .. tuff for everyone I guess.. 

1-2 in FCS? What's so wrong with that? Generally if you're on the road in the playoffs after round 1, it's because you were already judged to be the lesser team. Why is it surprising to have a losing record in that case? It's not like the regular season where there's a level of randomness to the strength of the home vs away squads.

2010: unseeded; 1-1 on the road; defeated the 4th seed and lost to the 5th(eventual national champion)

2020: unseeded(only 16 teams & 4 seeds); 0-1 on the road; lost to the 2nd seed(eventual national champion)

Of course the 30-1 home record and 9-0 neutral site record are also both nice. Heck, even the single home loss was also to the eventual NC.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

1-2 in FCS? What's so wrong with that? Generally if you're on the road in the playoffs after round 1, it's because you were already judged to be the lesser team. Why is it surprising to have a losing record in that case? It's not like the regular season where there's a level of randomness to the strength of the home vs away squads.

2010: unseeded; 1-1 on the road; defeated the 4th seed and lost to the 5th(eventual national champion)

2020: unseeded(only 16 teams & 4 seeds); 0-1 on the road; lost to the 2nd seed(eventual national champion)

Of course the 30-1 home record and 9-0 neutral site record are also both nice. Heck, even the single home loss was also to the eventual NC.

sarcasm is lost on you people.. the point is even the great bison have a losing record on the road in the playoffs.

Nobody really gives a crap.. of course we want to win.. it just would be nicer to have a home playoff game..  just spare me the bs about crying.  If this had happened all of the bison fans would be whining at least as loud.  If you want to talk bison football go to bisonville with all of those great football minds.  

FCS playoff committee chair Jermaine Truax explains why Montana Grizzlies made the field

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/fcs-playoff-committee-chair-jermaine-truax-explains-why-montana-grizzlies-made-the-field/article_648e48aa-69ee-11ed-a05a-5b8c74acc4e0.html

So let me get this straight.  Here are the reasons Montana made it into the playoff field:

- "Quality loses" against the best teams in the Big Sky

-  Loses were when their QB was out, so....MAYBE they would have won

-  "Success" against MVFC teams (even though those teams finished 9th and 10th in the conference standings"

-  "Success" against a Southland team that finished the season 4-7

- "Student athlete experience" 

-  The finanacial bid wasn't a factor.  

Got it.  Makes perfect sense.  Well deserved Montana!!

5 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

FCS playoff committee chair Jermaine Truax explains why Montana Grizzlies made the field

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/fcs-playoff-committee-chair-jermaine-truax-explains-why-montana-grizzlies-made-the-field/article_648e48aa-69ee-11ed-a05a-5b8c74acc4e0.html

So let me get this straight.  Here are the reasons Montana made it into the playoff field:

- "Quality loses" against the best teams in the Big Sky

-  Loses were when their QB was out, so....MAYBE they would have won

-  "Success" against MVFC teams (even though those teams finished 9th and 10th in the conference standings"

-  "Success" against a Southland team that finished the season 4-7

- "Stedent athlete experience"

-  The finanacial bid wasn't a factor.  

Got it.  Makes perfect sense.  Well deserved Montana!!

Like most things these days.

Either George orwelled or Alice in Wonderland.

Whatever works for the committee.  Time to move on and skin a wildcat Saturday following week skin a Bobcat,  William and Mary can't skin them just beat, then skin a jackrabbit.  Finally skin a Bison. 

• Upvote 2