SiouxSports.com Forum

Wilbur

1 minute ago, wheelsup said:

Seems like its time for a little transparency to clear this up.. apparently FOI requests can be filed.. Chaves or somebody else.. should be able to file a FOI request with both UND and Weber State see what the bids are and embarrass the NCAA if this conspiracy theory is true.  Seems like there would be a lot of schools/teams unhappy with the new precedent of.. well Weber state should have been seeded but wasnt so we promised them a home game regardless of their bid.

Agreed. Get it out in the open.
Maybe it didn't happen, but I find it a bit odd that UND's AD went on the radio this morning and say he thinks it did. That is a pretty bold thing to throw out there on a hunch given that the committee is made up of his peers.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Agreed. Get it out in the open.
Maybe it didn't happen, but I find it a bit odd that UND's AD went on the radio this morning and say he thinks it did. That is a pretty bold thing to throw out there on a hunch given that the committee is made up of his peers.

Is it that bold though?  This guy has failed twice now to secure a home game playoff game, again against schools that draw significantly less attendance wise.  I remember the theory that the Southland subsidized Nichols bid.  Was that ever proven or just pure conjecture?  Asking because I really don't know or remember. 

Now Chaves is offering up a theory that our bid was higher than Weber's but it was ignored due to "other criteria".  Hammersmith posted what "other criteria" would likely be, things like an unsafe environment or inadequate facilities.  Don't think the Alerus falls into those categories.

Perhaps you are right, my guess is we will never know the truth, my first thought is that Chaves dropped the ball on this.  Again........

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

The money needs to come from boosters.  There isn't 200k sitting around at the end of the year to cut a check. I have no idea what arrangements Chaves tried to make, but I'd imagine a school would want to have the money lined up well in advance in case it's needed.

Feel free to contact Chaves and guarantee a pledge for next year's playoffs for 50K, 20K, or even 10K to get that bid started.  I'm sure the program would greatly appreciate it.

I agree, but why weren’t boosters reached out to this time? It’s a failure on his behalf. Absolutely unbelievable.

I would hope he’s more in tune with the football boosters, but obviously he isn’t. The season ticket holders are interested investors, you need to reach out to them every season to gauge what they would contribute for a bid.

24 minutes ago, Kab said:

It’s called politics 

same reason Montana got in

same reason ndsu is 3rd

the golden rule

those who have the gold rule 

I agree. Unfortunately, I think the committee just isn’t in favor of UND. Think 2015. Think 2019. Now this season.

Also NDSU AD is on committee. Sure, he wants a 3rd MVFC in the field, but he also wants NDSU ranked as highly as possible (over Montana State??), but he doesn’t care if said 3rd MVFC team is on the road. He actually prefers that if that 3rd team is his in state rival. 

4 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Is it that bold though?  This guy has failed twice now to secure a home game playoff game, again against schools that draw significantly less attendance wise.  I remember the theory that the Southland subsidized Nichols bid.  Was that ever proven or just pure conjecture?  Asking because I really don't know or remember. 

Now Chaves is offering up a theory that our bid was higher than Weber's but it was ignored due to "other criteria".  Hammersmith posted what "other criteria" would likely be, things like an unsafe environment or inadequate facilities.  Don't think the Alerus falls into those categories.

Perhaps you are right, my guess is we will never know the truth, my first thought is that Chaves dropped the ball on this.  Again........

I think this is a Chaves issue, also. Were football boosters communicated with? Of course not. Failure is on Chaves.

• Upvote 1

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/53-hawk-talk-100915705/episode/chaves-1440-7a-112122-fcs-playoffs-104922762/

Here's the podcast of Bill on the radio this morning.  I don't see Bill opening this can of worms without justification, because he's in a much worse position if UND was actually outbid, and in that case Weber would also be quick to release their bid to the public.

2 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

4. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance (i.e., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), and (5) studentathlete well-being (e.g., travel and missed class time).

Conf place finish: UND 3, Weber 3
Head-to-head results (NAU): UND won by 3, Weber won by 2
Number of Div 1 oppenents: UND 11, Weber 10 (Weber played D2 W Oregon)

UND got absolutely hosed even if the NCAA is trying to say performance.  UND is tied or beat Weber in all specified performance examples. 

But.....but.....but UND had the 2nd highest bid!

27 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree. Unfortunately, I think the committee just isn’t in favor of UND. Think 2015. Think 2019. Now this season.

Also NDSU AD is on committee. Sure, he wants a 3rd MVFC in the field, but he also wants NDSU ranked as highly as possible (over Montana State??), but he doesn’t care if said 3rd MVFC team is on the road. He actually prefers that if that 3rd team is his in state rival. 

I don't think there is any sort of conspiracy to screw UND.  You could easily convince me there is a conspiracy to help out the Montana's, NDSU, etc.  Teams who bring in big attendance, looks good on TV, etc.  

Winning helps.  Sympathize with your frustrations though.  Annoying to get stuck going on the road to play a game you probably could/should be hosting.  Good luck and enjoy the game.

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It sounds like we did actually outbid them. But Weber was awarded the game based on performance. If that’s the case they should have just been seeded.

so the $$$$ value of the bid isn't the 100% main reason for winningthe bid?

so if und bid $10 dollars and weber bid $9 dollars but weber might have beat cal and we lost to nebraska they can say ....u got this weber?

1 hour ago, wheelsup said:

so here are the reasons I have heard..

• Nichols got a bunch of money from their conference.. Doesnt the MVFC give some money?  Seems like an odd excuse
  • Weber state got the home game because the "should" have been seeded.

Both of those reasons sound like crap to me and just more reasons for us to be ok with a mediocre effort on our part.  I dont think we are nearly as unlucky as people would try to say to somehow take the spotlight off a failure by the AD to get a home playoff game.  I would hate to hear the excuses that would come out if we were matched up with a school that actually had money to bid.. instead we are left with conjecture about back room deals and somehow trying to justify losing to a school without locker rooms and another school that doesnt match our attendance.

I dont know why Im so annoyed by this.. but this is the second year we have had a good opportunity to help change the trajectory of the program and host some home playoff games.  Im not a hockey versus other sports guy.. but we roll out the red carpet for the hockey team in vegas and all of the regionals.. we cant even beat out bids from 2nd tier schools in football for a home playoff game.

It wasn't a secret about The Southland conference enhancing their playoff teams bids. Villanova who was 9-2 in 2019 also surprisingly had to  travel to SE Lousianna for a playoff game that they lost 45-44. The Southland Commissioner said they wanted to give their conference teams every opportunity to have the best chances for success in the playoffs. UND was an independent that season.