SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU 11/19/2022

SiouxFan100

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I think our system is too complex on d. There’s no reason an all conference grad transfer from Cal Poly should take most of the year to get comfortable. I’d much prefer a simple system that guys can easily execute at a high level at full speed than one that makes them constantly think and play slow as a result. I prefer the Wade Philips philosophy.

Well this is obviously true. The defense has always been too unnecessarily complex, particularly for the safeties. 

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yep, caught him from behind. NDSU scored a couple plays later. It was a backbreaker from momentum standpoint. In the building, you could feel NDSU easily carrying the game the rest of the way.  

Fwiw, NDSU got a little tight for a moment. We had mo for a little bit. It was around the time that NDSU fumbled out of bounds and we dropped the pick 6. That was the only time in the game we had a chance but again the defense got their !@#$ pushed in in the end.

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Fwiw, NDSU got a little tight for a moment. We had mo for a little bit. It was around the time that NDSU fumbled out of bounds and we dropped the pick 6. That was the only time in the game we had a chance but again the defense got their !@#$ pushed in in the end.

Not tight enough. UND just wasn’t making plays. For a game in which they had little to lose and everything to gain, UND was the team playing with tight a$$holes.

Defense absolutely got pushed around. It was no secret. Everyone knew going into the game you had to stop NDSU running game. Easier said than done. UND absolutely failed (F grade) on run defense the entire game. As such, you get the outcome we got; blowout loss.

2 hours ago, forksandspoons said:

Not saying it would have mattered much, but Tom Miller mentioned some players, including Seth Anderson, were sick this week. Anderson’s replacement got off the ball very slow on the first sack of the game that started the snowball. 

True but he managed to keep his guy to the outside and pushed him past the play and then Tommy decided to sack himself.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, petey23 said:

True but he managed to keep his guy to the outside and pushed him past the play and then Tommy decided to sack himself.

Agreed. Tommy is good (very good) at escaping, but on plays where end rusher gets good contain, Tommy trying to go outside all the time kills the play. Hence all the damn throw aways out of bounds (partially due to coverage as well). 

On 11/19/2022 at 9:05 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I see us getting behind early but clawing our way back.
Our offense really puts it together in the 2nd half.
Defense steps up some in second half, but still has a battle.

^^^  pre-game taught

Now looking back.

We were extremely flat starting the game.  Lack of concentration through out, mistakes.
Coaches job to get the team mentally prepared to play the game - really failed here.

No doubt, the talent and coaching goes to the Bison, my hats off the them.
But, we should of made it a good close game for the fans - pride for the program.

We did settle down some, but were still playing with butterflies in our gut.
Many many mistakes. Ball didn't bounce our way, everything adds up to a butt kicking.
Sad to say - This staff just doesn't have it for the big games.

The mods need to stop this annual trolling in the Game Thread during the game. This doesn't happen in other threads I've seen in MVFC.

5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Agreed. Tommy is good (very good) at escaping, but on plays where end rusher gets good contain, Tommy trying to go outside all the time kills the play. Hence all the damn throw aways out of bounds (partially due to coverage as well). 

He had 4 options on that play.

1. Step up and run for 3-4 yards

2. Step up and throw the ball to a receiver.

3. Step up and throw the ball away.

4. Sack yourself.

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

^^^  pre-game taught

Now looking back.

We were extremely flat starting the game.  Lack of concentration through out, mistakes.
Coaches job to get the team mentally prepared to play the game - really failed here.

No doubt, the talent and coaching goes to the Bison, my hats off the them.
But, we should of made it a good close game for the fans - pride for the program.

We did settle down some, but were still playing with butterflies in our gut.
Many many mistakes. Ball didn't bounce our way, everything adds up to a butt kicking.
Sad to say - This staff just doesn't have it for the big games.

The mods need to stop this annual trolling in the Game Thread during the game. This doesn't happen in other threads I've seen in MVFC.

When has this not been the case away from the Alerus in a big game?

7 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Also not sold on this coaching staff and S/C staff to develop the young players into anything exceptional. They do alright, just not at a championship level.

Also, I’m now fully convinced UND with this staff will never have the team mentally prepared to consistently win big games. 7-4 is really the ceiling; can’t expect UND to win big road games, or even top 5 home games, which is necessary to be a top 5 team that’s gets home field advantage in playoffs. That needs to be goal; remember importance of being in Alerus all the way through in 2001? Being in the FD for nearly all the playoffs has been important to NDSU’s championship run.

Disappointing. Culture change needs to happen, and after 8 years of this staff, it won’t happen without change to some degree. 

I posted this years ago------Bubba will not take you to the promised land.

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I think our system is too complex on d. There’s no reason an all conference grad transfer from Cal Poly should take most of the year to get comfortable. I’d much prefer a simple system that guys can easily execute at a high level at full speed than one that makes them constantly think and play slow as a result. I prefer the Wade Philips philosophy.

Makes sense. I would say a good rule of thumb is when you struggle, simplify things and focus on fundamentals. I had the opportunity to sit down with Wade after games when he was with the Cowboys. Very intelligent defensive mind and a great guy. 

We are just pretty weak up the middle. I like our linebackers, but they are limited. Devin K has been excellent for his career but he is beat up and is a North/South backer only now.  His partner is going to be a good one, but he’s young. our safeties just haven’t developed as well as we had hoped. Communication breakdowns have been evident, and that’s the responsibility of the safety to keep everyone lined up. It’s a really hard defense. But if they can get it figured out, it’s really hard to play against..

17 hours ago, dmksioux said:

Bottom line, we’re not ready to contend. It is what it is. I’m not sure how long Bubba has been coach or how long he needs. There are coaches out there who can build a program faster than what Bubba is doing. Unfortunately UND will not hire them.  And so it goes…

So far only a few teams this past decade have been able to take down the dynasty. It’s not like we are the only one to have been struggling…..

28 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

So far only a few teams this past decade have been able to take down the dynasty. It’s not like we are the only one to have been struggling…..

If UND was only losing to NDSU, sure, but they drop other games they should win year after year. 

But, here we are. Defense is the weak link, but the team’s mindset in big games is also a major flaw. Some can be improved over the off-season, some cannot. 

Will be interesting to see how UND looks in the playoffs. 2019 @Nichols State didn’t look too good. 

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Anyone else notice how our NG was getting tossed side to side every running play? On one of millers TDs the nose was 6 yds deep in the end zone. That’s why we couldn’t stop the run.

It’s true.  Been said a million times, but NDSU players look the part and play the part. UND front line doesn’t look the part. Not physical enough, not big enough.

UND needs to recruit and develop more physicality and speed - across the board. Need to hit the transfer portal hard this off-season. And need to get some  damn money in the football program, not just hockey; need to bolster coaching salary pool and make changes … and apparently now also improve playoff bids. 

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Anyone else notice how our NG was getting tossed side to side every running play? On one of millers TDs the nose was 6 yds deep in the end zone. That’s why we couldn’t stop the run.

Our NG is a nice sized linebacker.

Food for thought:

Bison Starting DLine:     Oline:

6’5” 282 lbs                 6’6”  303lbs

6’2” 260lbs                   6’4” 329lbs

6’1” 279lbs                    6’4”  286lbs

6’1” 242lbs.                   6’4” 304lbs

6’6” 290lbs 

6’3” 245lbs

UND DLine:        Oline:

6’3” 240lbs         6’4” 300lbs

6’2” 290lbs          6’2” 305lbs

6’2” 255lbs           6’3” 290lbs or 6’1” 285

6’3” 290lbs           6’5” 305lbs

6’5” 250lbs            6’6” 310lbs - 6’4” 285

6’3” 290lbs           6’4” 235lbs- 6’3” 250

6’4” 250lbs. 

I’m not sure size is the issue. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Food for thought:

Bison Starting DLine:     Oline:

6’5” 282 lbs                 6’6”  303lbs

6’2” 260lbs                   6’4” 329lbs

6’1” 279lbs                    6’4”  286lbs

6’1” 242lbs.                   6’4” 304lbs

6’6” 290lbs 

6’3” 245lbs

UND DLine:        Oline:

6’3” 240lbs         6’4” 300lbs

6’2” 290lbs          6’2” 305lbs

6’2” 255lbs           6’3” 290lbs or 6’1” 285

6’3” 290lbs           6’5” 305lbs

6’5” 250lbs            6’6” 310lbs - 6’4” 285

6’3” 290lbs           6’4” 235lbs- 6’3” 250

6’4” 250lbs. 

I’m not sure size is the issue. 

Our 290 guys are all NG's though which should be bigger. Our DE's are 240-250.....too light. 

• Upvote 3