SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU 11/19/2022

SiouxFan100

23 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Would his ceiling not be 2016 when we were a seeded team? 9-2 remember is more wins than 7-4.

I would say there's a Big Sky ceiling and then a MVFC ceiling and they are different. The way things are now, I would put UND's schedule every year into two groups. (1) FBS, NDSU, SDSU (2) Everyone else. UND is going to have to figure out one of two things. How to consistently get a single win out of group 1 every year or beat everyone in group 2. Otherwise, 7-4 is about as good as one can hope for.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

My understanding is he's pretty highly regarded in the S/C community and if it weren't for his kids being in Fargo (divorced I think?), he'd probably have been poached years ago.  No idea if that's true or not.  Just what I had heard from some folks.

Once again, not what we are talking about but your infomercial is noted

While it’s frustrating to see contributing players leave, it’s just a part of the game in 2022.

Playing time, location, coaching staff etc. So many reasons an 18-22 year old kid would change schools, some of them valid, others are spitting the bit when the going gets tough. Every school will deal with it with the new rules in place.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

While it’s frustrating to see contributing players leave, it’s just a part of the game in 2022.

Playing time, location, coaching staff etc. So many reasons an 18-22 year old kid would change schools, some of them valid, others are spitting the bit when the going gets tough. Every school will deal with it with the new rules in place.

I believe all schools will deal with as well.. to me the timing is a bit odd.  This year NDSU has had 4 players hit the portal before the season is over.. all four of them were considered to be reasonably decent and even key contributors (Sigel, Hart, Gonnella, Sproles).. My assumption is that none of them were kicked out the door but rather chose to leave.. and did not see the value in sticking with the program through the playoffs.  If they were bad apples and you guys were happy to get rid of them then I get it.. my sense is that this was not the case.  If these guys hit the transfer portal after the playoffs I would have a different opinion.  The worst excuse is that football is suddenly too hard for these young men..

If you cant acknowledge that the timing is odd or that they were all bad apples that the team is better off without.. you should acknowledge that there might be some internal issues with the program. 

On 11/20/2022 at 6:26 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Also not sold on this coaching staff and S/C staff to develop the young players into anything exceptional. They do alright, just not at a championship level.

I've seen social media posts from Nate Baukol and what he has the kids doing looks, well...antiquated (and downright dangerous, TBH). It just looks like all the same things I did in college 20 years ago. 

I've also heard tales of extremely weak hip-flexors for a D1 football team and limited work on ROM (range of motion).

That said, it would appear from what I see of Will Ratelle's online stuff is that his philosphy much more aligned with what you'd see at a big time school nowadays, and I think that is telling. 

Combining strengh with ROM and explosive movement. 

My opinion is that the the strength coach needs to be scrutinized as intensely as the HC, maybe moreso. And there really needs to be analytical approach to everything from what type of injuries do we collectively experience the most, to what are the team deficiences. Bison strength is second-to-none, and that cannot really be debated. I think UND has something special in Ratelle, and I think after the completion Phase 2 it might time to consider a promotion for him. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, USTBench said:

I've seen social media posts from Nate Baukol and what he has the kids doing looks, well...antiquated (and downright dangerous, TBH). It just looks like all the same things I did in college 20 years ago. 

I've also heard tales of extremely weak hip-flexors for a D1 football team and limited work on ROM (range of motion).

That said, it would appear from what I see of Will Ratelle's online stuff is that his philosphy much more aligned with what you'd see at a big time school nowadays, and I think that is telling. 

Combining strengh with ROM and explosive movement. 

My opinion is that the the strength coach needs to be scrutinized as intensely as the HC, maybe moreso. And there really needs to be analytical approach to everything from what type of injuries do we collectively experience the most, to what are the team deficiences. Bison strength is second-to-none, and that cannot really be debated. I think UND has something special in Ratelle, and I think after the completion Phase 2 it might time to consider a promotion for him. 

Olympic lifting is standard for college weight programs. It’s the best way to build explosiveness. Baukol also does a ton of range of motion exercises like pistol squats for example. 

10 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

I believe all schools will deal with as well.. to me the timing is a bit odd.  This year NDSU has had 4 players hit the portal before the season is over.. all four of them were considered to be reasonably decent and even key contributors (Sigel, Hart, Gonnella, Sproles).. My assumption is that none of them were kicked out the door but rather chose to leave.. and did not see the value in sticking with the program through the playoffs.  If they were bad apples and you guys were happy to get rid of them then I get it.. my sense is that this was not the case.  If these guys hit the transfer portal after the playoffs I would have a different opinion.  The worst excuse is that football is suddenly too hard for these young men..

If you cant acknowledge that the timing is odd or that they were all bad apples that the team is better off without.. you should acknowledge that there might be some internal issues with the program. 

Without inside knowledge it’s impossible to know.

If you’re hope as a player is to get onto a different team, you have to be enrolled for spring semester so the timing makes sense to pull the plug now and not risk quitting halfway through the playoffs. 

I’m not saying it isn’t something to keep an eye on, but the timing makes sense from the players’ perspective.

13 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

Sproles is headed to JMU.

14 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Olympic lifting is standard for college weight programs. It’s the best way to build explosiveness. Baukol also does a ton of range of motion exercises like pistol squats for example. 

Oly lifts like snatch, clean and jerk are okay to a degree, but there is significant wear and tear, especially when frequently going heavy. Also, there isn't as much ROM with your hips as you'd think as there is almost zero lateral movement. You're rarely just running in a straight line and imposing your will from an idealic positon of power in football. Football is about awkward angles. Static holds with your hips at awkward angles, band work, and more low impact exercises where strength is being built in your hips but you're not breaking your team is also very important. Getting from a deficient position to an athletic position as quickly as possible is essential. 

Also, building up the tibalis anterior with simply walking backwards and backward sled pulls is huge for building strong knees. Nothing against oly lifts, but if your program is centered on just doing the same old oly lifts from 40 years ago, the strength world has passed you by. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

If he can play at JMU I will lose what little respect I have left for the Sun Belt

Agreed, amazed they would offer him based on what I saw in his time at NDSU. Fine, serviceable player, but not a real game breaker in my view. 

4 hours ago, wheelsup said:

The timing is if these kids want to keep playing CFB, opening their recruitment before signing day in December makes sense. These kids need to have open scholarship money to land somewhere. These kids are not like Jabril Cox that can pick their school and a school will create a scholarship for them. If they don’t get their name out there now they may end up without a home for next year.

17 hours ago, UND1983 said:

It is illegal for NDSU to spend more time with their players than allowed. Kramer is not the reason why players keep transferring lately. Take off the Bison PJs and think.

Kramers face time is a fact. Why you had to mention a rule is meaningless. Who was talking about players transferring?

Great deflection when you get caught making a false statement.

8 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

The timing is if these kids want to keep playing CFB, opening their recruitment before signing day in December makes sense. These kids need to have open scholarship money to land somewhere. These kids are not like Jabril Cox that can pick their school and a school will create a scholarship for them. If they don’t get their name out there now they may end up without a home for next year.

Correct the time frame to enter such especially since its playoff time. ut it is what it is.

9 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Agreed, amazed they would offer him based on what I saw in his time at NDSU. Fine, serviceable player, but not a real game breaker in my view. 

They may not of offered him anything more than a walkon and if you do well theres a scholly waiting for you.  I cant imagine them offering anything more that that.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

So to me your starting statement is the questionable part.. Sigel and Hart were already playing a lot of CFB.. I think they were both starters on your team and key players (I could be wrong).. Gonnella.. he was a key player before he got injured and the Bison are good at RB so maybe he has a better chance somewhere else..  Sproles.. well his social media presence seemed to be bigger than his play on the field so maybe not that much of a loss.

The two I would really question are Sigel and Hart.. as you said.. neither are like Jabril Cox so they arent going to some huge school.. they are already playing/starting at a program that gets NFL looks.. so as I said the timing is odd.  If these kids were backups or maybe it will come out that they want to go to a school with a different academic program or something.. in any of those cases I would totally understand.  If you cant at least question why two key starters would leave the team, to play football for a different program, during the playoffs...... seems odd to me.

WE had a starter do that to us a couple of years ago and there was plenty of questions thrown around.

7 hours ago, bison73 said:

Kramers face time is a fact. Why you had to mention a rule is meaningless. Who was talking about players transferring?

Great deflection when you get caught making a false statement.

Can you follow the conversation?  No idea what you are even talking about

On 11/20/2022 at 8:56 PM, nd1sufan said:

other than their season has lasted 6 weeks longer than 90% of the other FCS schools for the entirety of the kids careers you may be right. And they all talk about how tough and demanding Kramer can be. Most  kids can take it and really like Kramer.  There are some that feel it is too much.

Bison73....this is what I was responding to.

Kramer is 0% of the reason these kids are leaving.