SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU 11/19/2022

SiouxFan100

1 hour ago, wheelsup said:

So to me your starting statement is the questionable part.. Sigel and Hart were already playing a lot of CFB.. I think they were both starters on your team and key players (I could be wrong).. Gonnella.. he was a key player before he got injured and the Bison are good at RB so maybe he has a better chance somewhere else..  Sproles.. well his social media presence seemed to be bigger than his play on the field so maybe not that much of a loss.

The two I would really question are Sigel and Hart.. as you said.. neither are like Jabril Cox so they arent going to some huge school.. they are already playing/starting at a program that gets NFL looks.. so as I said the timing is odd.  If these kids were backups or maybe it will come out that they want to go to a school with a different academic program or something.. in any of those cases I would totally understand.  If you cant at least question why two key starters would leave the team, to play football for a different program, during the playoffs...... seems odd to me.

WE had a starter do that to us a couple of years ago and there was plenty of questions thrown around.

Sigle is the one that is somewhat bothersome. But not every kid is a good fit for a program. That may be the case with him. Hart played about the same amount as 5 or 6 WR’s, most are pretty equal. Tbh, when you are spreading out 10 catches among 6 or 7 pass catchers, I am not sure how NDSU keeps any good WR’s. The fact that they got and kept Watson for 5 years is pretty incredible. Gonella is honestly maybe the 5th best back in that room. If he wants to get carries he has to move on. 3 of the kids are from Florida or Georgia. I would be surprised if they don’t end up somewhere closer to home. The South to ND is a bit of a change.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wheelsup said:

So to me your starting statement is the questionable part.. Sigel and Hart were already playing a lot of CFB.. I think they were both starters on your team and key players (I could be wrong).. Gonnella.. he was a key player before he got injured and the Bison are good at RB so maybe he has a better chance somewhere else..  Sproles.. well his social media presence seemed to be bigger than his play on the field so maybe not that much of a loss.

The two I would really question are Sigel and Hart.. as you said.. neither are like Jabril Cox so they arent going to some huge school.. they are already playing/starting at a program that gets NFL looks.. so as I said the timing is odd.  If these kids were backups or maybe it will come out that they want to go to a school with a different academic program or something.. in any of those cases I would totally understand.  If you cant at least question why two key starters would leave the team, to play football for a different program, during the playoffs...... seems odd to me.

WE had a starter do that to us a couple of years ago and there was plenty of questions thrown around.

Kids might be thinking if they are good enough to play regularly at NDSU, they should have no problem getting playing time somewhere closer to home, warmer, etc.  Seems as likely as any other reason lol

29 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Sigle is the one that is somewhat bothersome. But not every kid is a good fit for a program. That may be the case with him. Hart played about the same amount as 5 or 6 WR’s, most are pretty equal. Tbh, when you are spreading out 10 catches among 6 or 7 pass catchers, I am not sure how NDSU keeps any good WR’s. The fact that they got and kept Watson for 5 years is pretty incredible. Gonella is honestly maybe the 5th best back in that room. If he wants to get carries he has to move on. 3 of the kids are from Florida or Georgia. I would be surprised if they don’t end up somewhere closer to home. The South to ND is a bit of a change.

Im also amazed that the bison can keep any WR's.. just not enough catches to go around.

I will say overall I like the transfer portal.. It helps out kids that dont fit into a system, are locked into the bottom of the depth chart (ex: hoosman) or for some reason just dont mesh with coaching staff and it also adds another level of excitement to college football as to if you are going to be able to keep your players or not.

I always hope that kids have a decent support system and arent listening to some instant gratification bozo.. as the grass isnt always greener... but sometimes it is (ex: hoosman) :D.  I also do think its a leading indicator of potential problems in your program.. when starters are leaving before the season is over there is at least a question in my mind.  It will be interesting to see where they end up if anywhere.

1 hour ago, wheelsup said:

Im also amazed that the bison can keep any WR's.. just not enough catches to go around.

I will say overall I like the transfer portal.. It helps out kids that dont fit into a system, are locked into the bottom of the depth chart (ex: hoosman) or for some reason just dont mesh with coaching staff and it also adds another level of excitement to college football as to if you are going to be able to keep your players or not.

I always hope that kids have a decent support system and arent listening to some instant gratification bozo.. as the grass isnt always greener... but sometimes it is (ex: hoosman) :D.  I also do think its a leading indicator of potential problems in your program.. when starters are leaving before the season is over there is at least a question in my mind.  It will be interesting to see where they end up if anywhere.

Good comments. The only thing I would like to see is that the school accepting the player reimburse the school that the player leaves the amount of the scholarship the kid had. Kids without scholarships or smaller scholarships wouldn’t be penalized. It recognizes the investment in these athletes by their first school even though the cost to first school is more than just the scholarship. It also decreases the chance a kid transfers somewhere else where he or she won’t likely play. Grad transfers would be an exception. 

Did a real quick run through of the replay.  Man was it a complete sh*t show to start the game.  

2nd play of game, Schuster runs into the sack...he could have tucked it up and ran a few yards or had time to throw to Bo who was open and crossing

3rd play of game, Schuster scrambles out to the right and buys time and does what he normally does....but under throws it slightly and is incomplete instead of 1st down.  

On our 2nd series when in SU territory NDSU DB F's with Maag after the play right in front of official and 99% of the time it's a personal foul but they decide to pull the flag

NDSU 2nd series they have a long pass that is well defended and the ball bounces of helmet and their other WR catches it...for about a 50 yard pass play

NDSU's second series they are 3rd and goal from about the 6....Cam keeps it and Pedigo is in perfect position to tackle him way short of end zone and completely whiffs

We are in NDSU territory and reliable Hoosman, has the wrong play and knocks the ball out of Tommy's hand...when Red was open on the left flag for probably a 5 yard or maybe more gain. 

NDSU's 3rd drive.....have 3rd and 9 from the 15 yard line.....we hold them but hand to the face gives them a first down and Cam takes it in on the next play from the 7. 

All of that occurs and there is still 13 minutes left in 2nd quarter and SU is up 21-0

On the bright side, the OL seemed to play fairly well.  We had a handful of runs up the middle that gained 5-10 yards. 

Tommy ran at least 3 designed QB draws.....not sure we've really seen that before.  Not sure if it is something specifically Danny saw in their defense or what.

Buckner seemed to have decent speed in chasing down a RB on a long run, I wouldn't say he seemed slow. 

P.S. sorry for bringing up bad memories...but had to go back and watch anyway. :angry:

• Upvote 1

Heavy favoritism by officials and even selection committees. Very curious decision making for Ag U…

During the game, even the NDSU fans were joking how the game was only stopped for review if it was a play that went against NDSU, not UND.

Perhaps just coincidence, but I prefer to promote conspiracy…

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It was nothing. Maag was being soft. NDSU guy gave him a little message after the play, knocked the much larger Maag over. 

I saw it as a microcosm of why we got our asses kicked. We soft, they mean.

Eh I disagree with the first part but agree with the second part.

That usually gets called and there was at least one flag thrown on it. That being said, if they would have called the one later where NDSU's left tackle looked like he was in some sort of acting class, reacting like a sniper took him out, after getting bumped into after a play, I probably would have a stronger opinion. 

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

Do you have video? I don’t remember this one specifically.

I believe they were getting up after the whistle/play and the defender grabbed under his upper leg and flipped him on his back again.  Was enough to draw a fog but they picked it up. 
wouldn’t have changed the game but should have stuck with the flag. 

26 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I believe they were getting up after the whistle/play and the defender grabbed under his upper leg and flipped him on his back again.  Was enough to draw a fog but they picked it up. 
wouldn’t have changed the game but should have stuck with the flag. 

Ill have to go back and watch that play.. I remember it a little different and thought the officials did the right thing. I think there was a question as to if Maag was even down on the play and I thought the dback did what he needed to do.  I also wouldnt have had a problem if Maag had plowed him over after that happened.

2 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

Ill have to go back and watch that play.. I remember it a little different and thought the officials did the right thing. I think there was a question as to if Maag was even down on the play and I thought the dback did what he needed to do.  I also wouldnt have had a problem if Maag had plowed him over after that happened.

I think there was confusion whether the guy was down or the play was over.

21 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I did actually take a short clip of it last night when watching. Geaux_Sioux respect your opinion but I disagree on this one, not a case of Maag being soft, this should have been a penalty.  I guess you could maybe say the DB didn't think the play was over....but I'm not buying that.

That's not how yo utake a guy down if you think the play isn't over....

• Upvote 2

On 11/22/2022 at 8:11 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Can someone go back and tell me how many screen passes UND attempted last weekend against the Bison?>  I fell it was lower than usual. Need to get back to that type of game where Tommy dumps it off and lets our playmakers go make a play.  

NDSU's DEs play a "rush upfield" style. That fills the lane a WR screen ball needs to fly through. If they get a hand on one, nothing good follows. 

24 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I did actually take a short clip of it last night when watching. Geaux_Sioux respect your opinion but I disagree on this one, not a case of Maag being soft, this should have been a penalty.  I guess you could maybe say the DB didn't think the play was over....but I'm not buying that. 

He didn’t think the play was over. It was questionable that he was down to me. My issue is that he holds his hands up and looks at the refs instead of showing the DB that he will be the alpha all day. He got punked. Get in his face, don’t shove him, but let him know.

Ok now I remember this play. Call me a homer here, but I see this as the DB not thinking Maag was down, which it appears he actually wasn’t. Maag reacted as a player who wasn’t giving himself up when he popped up, the DB interpreted him popping up as him trying to continue running and finished the tackle. I don’t see any issue here.

• Upvote 2

And if you think Maag wasn’t going to continue to run, where exactly do you say he was going here when he continues running? He didn’t run towards an official or even turn his attention to the official to hand the ball. My take is Maag didn’t think he was down either and planned to run up the field.

• Upvote 1