SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU 11/19/2022

SiouxFan100

13 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Ok now I remember this play. Call me a homer here, but I see this as the DB not thinking Maag was down, which it appears he actually wasn’t. Maag reacted as a player who wasn’t giving himself up when he popped up, the DB interpreted him popping up as him trying to continue running and finished the tackle. I don’t see any issue here.

Agree 

Maag's elbows were down and possibly a knee and a hip.  It looks like Maag is attempting to run towards the middle of the field (the huddle) rather than up the sideline.  Bison #1's body language says he was upset about Maag catching a ball, not that he was trying to make a tackle.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

That's not how yo utake a guy down if you think the play isn't over....

EXACTLY this.  And Maag did get up quick yes, but he was not trying to run towards the goal line.  Also.....when did they change the rules so that the whistle can be blown and the play is over......that as long as in the defenders mind.....they didn't think the play was over.....it's ok to hit someone.  Wasn't aware of that new rule.   But the most telling thing I think is what you said, that is not how you tackle someone when yo think the play is live, he was just f'ing with him.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

No we wouldn't it was cheap.

I’ve been trying to be objective here. Call it questionable if you want, but a cheap shot? Not even close. 
If I’m that corner I’m doing the same thing. You keep running, you’re gonna get hit. No question.

21 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I’ve been trying to be objective here. Call it questionable if you want, but a cheap shot? Not even close. 
If I’m that corner I’m doing the same thing. You keep running, you’re gonna get hit. No question.

I stand by my first post.  Wasn’t the worst thing in the world but was worthy of a penalty and should have stuck with the flag. 
a little questionable with Maag popping up but the play was over. Maag looks like he was extending the ball to flip to the referee. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I stand by my first post.  Wasn’t the worst thing in the world but was worthy of a penalty and should have stuck with the flag. 
a little questionable with Maag popping up but the play was over. Maag looks like he was extending the ball to flip to the referee. 

Fair enough.

What is your assessment of why the flag was picked up?

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Maag's elbows were down and possibly a knee and a hip.  It looks like Maag is attempting to run towards the middle of the field (the huddle) rather than up the sideline.  Bison #1's body language says he was upset about Maag catching a ball, not that he was trying to make a tackle.

BS. Guarantee you Maeg tries to continue running if he is not tackled again. He is not getting up to run back to the huddle and they are not in a hurry up offense. He was trying to get on SC like Belquist did earlier this season. 

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. It’s questionable, but I think if the players were reversed, you’d all be arguing the other side of this one.

An official was right there. Did and when did the whistle blow. 

#1's body language tells me he knew it was worthy of a penalty. He wasn't celebrating with his teammates; he was pissed off.

If Maag was trying to extend the play, why was he going directly toward two Bison coming in to high five #1?

The ref was already coming out to spot the ball. So, the ref, and two of #1's teammates knew the play was over when he flipped Maag. So, the whistle had already blown? That's roughing, isn't it?

This is an honest question. I'm not a super-duper-football mind like so many people around here; Even if the play isn't over, is this a legal tackle? I thought you couldn't lift someone off the ground in the course of tackling them.

Either way, this play doesn't change the outcome. It's still interesting to debate interpretation of the rules, though.

32 minutes ago, N of GF said:

#1's body language tells me he knew it was worthy of a penalty. He wasn't celebrating with his teammates; he was pissed off.

If Maag was trying to extend the play, why was he going directly toward two Bison coming in to high five #1?

The ref was already coming out to spot the ball. So, the ref, and two of #1's teammates knew the play was over when he flipped Maag. So, the whistle had already blown? That's roughing, isn't it?

This is an honest question. I'm not a super-duper-football mind like so many people around here; Even if the play isn't over, is this a legal tackle? I thought you couldn't lift someone off the ground in the course of tackling them.

Either way, this play doesn't change the outcome. It's still interesting to debate interpretation of the rules, though.

You can’t pick somebody up and body slam them. Grabbing a leg is not a penalty.

7 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

You can’t pick somebody up and body slam them. Grabbing a leg is not a penalty.

How about lifting someone's leg up until they fall over? He didn't just 'grab his leg'.

Edit to add: Focus on Maag's feet only. Tell me how that happens without being lifted off the ground?

31 minutes ago, N of GF said:

How about lifting someone's leg up until they fall over? He didn't just 'grab his leg'.

Edit to add: Focus on Maag's feet only. Tell me how that happens without being lifted off the ground?

Focusing on his feet, it appears he is lifted because he is trying to run away.

• Upvote 1

I suppose one can look at it in different ways, because when I saw it in live time I thought it was a personal foul, then when I watched the replay, I interpreted it that the Bison player didn't think Maag was down.  Regardless, I don't think a play like that swings momentum so UND magically stays in a game where they were dominated by the Bison.